February 27th 6 years 1 month ago #57702

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Buller's guns still going, evidently fighting hard. Long Tom fired a single shot about 6 and in the afternoon at Caesar's Camp. This fire was directed there because we had a long range twelve-pounder there firing at the men engaged on the dam below Intombi Spruit. Little damage was done by either side. Boer search lights being visible all night. At 6 p.m. I saw three of what we thought were Buller's shrapnel, shells burst on the sky line in sight of our picket towards Woodhouse's farm. Reported this to Comt. when we got in. Saw Boer search light going gaily all night in the direction of End Hill. Rain part of the night.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 27th 2 years 1 month ago #81817

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Tuesday, 27 February. Majuba Day

This is the day for our troops to retaliate if possible, and so close the mouth of the braggart Boer, who loves nothing better than to boast about their deeds of this day.

The dirty unwashed hounds round us opened rifle-fire at a very early hour this morning (4 a.m.) with almost startling earnestness but did not keep it up very long, and were extremely quiet for the rest of the day, not even once letting off the big gun although they directed and elevated her half a dozen times during the day. There seemed almost as if something had gone wrong with her elevating gear because as soon as she rose above a certain point, down she went again with a run. Possibly the whole affair, sending men away, pretending the big gun is damaged, sending natives into our camp to say there are a very few Boers about, etc., etc., is for tire purpose of drawing us out of our little fastness. But B.P. has still got his other eye open, although about xo of his eyes appear to be asleep, and is not going to be had by any Boer who is trying to flatter himself on his slimness.

Three of the Cape Police at the brickfields were today wounded by one of the enemy’s 5-pounders: Elkington seriously, Warren and another slightly. Very hard luck after all this time to be knocked over when things are getting, as we hope, towards the end. Poor Elkington was fearfully hit, the whole of his face being blown away. It being impossible to give him chloroform he had to be carried to the hospital as he was. Not much chance for his life, poor devil.

Towards the end, yes, if they don’t hurry up, a good many of us will be absolutely stone broke. If ever I get home out of this, and my friends expect to find a few quid left in my pockets, they will be sadly mistaken, and if they will take the trouble to look they will be rewarded by finding only holes and fluff and bits of stray Mausers.

Runners are at last again beginning to come in, two arriving this morning but still bringing no definite news; this is put down to the fact of the line between Salisbury and Beira being washed away.

There is also a native rumour confirmed by other natives that Kimberley has been relieved after heavy fighting, in which the enemy lost very considerably (thousands).

As a lesson to others, Forbes was severely fined (£25) for being in possession of unexploded 94-pound shells and not burying same. It is the danger to all the surrounding people that is guarded against.

Tonight about 400 natives, Shangaans, Fingoes, etc., are going to endeavour to reach the north through the Boer lines. They are to receive three days’ rations and all assistance possible will be rendered them in getting out. If successful they will no doubt be very useful to Plumer to assist in mending the line. Does it not seem ironical for us to assist Plumer?

After an interview today with his lordship, he very kindly wrote out and signed a pass in my favour granting me permission to go to all or any outposts for the purpose of photography.

The Colonel, in general orders, has rubbed it in very thick for the people who purchased goods from S. M. Looney, saying they were quite as bad as he was, and primarily the cause of his degradation and crime, and that if anything of such a kind again happened, he would waive all technical points of evidence and deal with the case on its merits.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

February 27th 9 months 3 weeks ago #90053

Two postcards from this day 27th February 1900

February 27th 9 months 3 weeks ago #90068

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Masters.Clifford,

Your images did not make it through. It may be that they are too large for the forum. The max size in either dimension is 2,000 pixels and 500k. I find that images of 1,000 pixels work well. A variety of software will enable you to decrease the size of the image.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds