• Page:

TOPIC:

February 8th 12 years 3 months ago #2239

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Kimberley siege day 117 (94%). Ladysmith siege day 99 (83%). Mafeking siege day 119 (54%). Lord Roberts reaches Modder River. Kekewich reports serious situation at Kimberley.
1901 - Dartnell occupies Amersfoort.
1902 - End of the Free State drive.
1905 - Publication of report of Commission on Native Affairs in S. Africa.

In Kimberley:

4 waggons heavily ladened seen moving at 6am from the North towards Kampersdam.

Enemy fired 29 shell into the town with their 6 inch gun from Kampersdam. Fro damage etc see signal messages. All very brave, but I fear much the effect on the inhabitants.

About 250 men were seen to-day entranching themselves at “Barney Martins” about 4000 yards from the Premier Mine. I expect this movement is either with a view of firing at the Premier Mine search light and so stopping the night signaling, or possibly to attempt to destroy our water pipe from the Premier Mine.

Our guns at the Premier opened at them and caused them to retire to a safer distance.

A good deal of movement to-day in every direction. It looks as if the enemy contemplated a more serious attack.

I sent the following messages during the day:

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 8 No 183. Yesterday’s news Enemy sniping cattle guard West Town. Enemy fired with siege gun and other guns on town former in afternoon engaged by out thirty pounder which before dusk placed shell in enemy’s emplacement. His siege gun silent for remainder evening. Casualties two civilians one coloured child wounded, one private horse killed. All wounded injured by shells from siege gun four CI houses wrecked other damaged by same. Enemy’s siege gun fired twenty-five shell during day.”

“From Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Feb 8 No 184. Enemy’s siege gun fired twenty-five shell yesterday some fell centre town others went right over town falling beyond S Western defences, some houses wrecked others damaged, two civilians one coloured child wounded. Shelling has created consternation particularly among women. Endeavouring allay same by erection bombproofs. Difficulty is providing secure cover so large population.”

“From Kek to Met. Feb 8 No 185 re Banks sending messages in code.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 8th No 186; Your 256 of Feb 7 giving certain information re water in certain Dists.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 8th No 187 re information given by native who came with Boers from Mafeking. Says those formerly investing that place are now here – and that the six inch gun and other QF and Field guns have been brought here from there.”

“FROM Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Feb 8th 7 pm No 188. Enemy opened fire on town with six inch gun, 3.30 pm. Several buildings struck and damaged, one store set on fire, one civilian killed white woman her child another civilian wounded. Enemy also showing marked activity round here. Having regard to civil population and class of troops defending town position here becoming serious.”

In Ladysmith:

Covering February 8th to 24th.

I had hoped to keep well all through the siege, so as to see it all from start to finish. But now over a fortnight has been lost while I have been lying in hospital, suffering all the tortures of Montjuich, "A touch of sun," people called it, combined with some impalpable kind of malaria. On the 8th I struggled up Cæsar's Camp again, and saw parties of Boers burning all the veldt beyond Limit Hill, apparently to prevent us watching the movements of the trains at their railhead. On the 9th I could not stand, and the bearers, with their peculiar little chant, to keep them out of step, brought me down to the Congregational Chapel in a dhoolie. There I still lie. The Hindoo sweepers creep about, raising a continual dust; they fan me sleepily for hours together with a look of impenetrable vacancy, and at night they curl themselves on the ground outside and cough their souls away. The English orderlies stamp and shout, displaying the greatest goodwill and a knowledge of the nervous system acquired in cavalry barracks. Far away we hear the sound of Buller's guns. I did not know it was possible to suffer such atrocious and continuous pain without losing consciousness.

Of course we have none of the proper remedies for sunstroke—no ice, no soda-water, and so little milk that it has to be rationed out almost by the teaspoonful. Now that the fever has begun to subside I can only hope for a tiny ration of tea, a brown compound called rice pudding, flavoured with the immemorial dust of Indian temples, and a beef-tea which neighs in the throat. That is the worst of the condition of the sick now; when they begin to mend it is almost impossible to get them well. There is nothing to give them. At Intombi, I believe it is even worse than here. The letters I have lately seen from officers recovering from wounds or dysentery or enteric are simply heart-rending in their appeals.

In Mafeking:

This morning Corporal Currie and his men killed and wounded a few Boer?, coming at dawn to their trenches. The Boers consequently gave us a quiet day, as their obsequies and attendant ceremonies seemed to fill in all their time; but at dark -they commenced a heavy fire of small arms, shell, and vituperation, upon our advanced post, about two hundred and fifty yards from their main trench. They assure the garrison of this post that they intend to make it particularly warm for them, and it is about as warm a corner as one could well select. I rode out in the afternoon to Captain Marsh's post on the western edge of the stadt, we have there driven the Boers out of and occupied Fort Cronje, a mile from the western edge, and seven hundred yards from the nearest Boer fort. This Fort Cronje commands the whole of the valley on the other side of the ridge, under cover of which the Boers used to remove their reliefs and reinforcements to and from Cronje's laager and the western laager. Its capture has largely extended our field for grazing. We had proposed to walk out there, but on consultation we decided not to, as one is under a pretty heavy fire in the open the last part of the journey, and one would see it better and under more favourable circumstances on the Sunday, during the truce. Riding back, I tried a short cut, at a good pace; the Boers, however, were not quite asleep, and began sniping with marvellous ill% success, as I was about to get under cover/ again. To-day we were informed that we must be prepared to hold out for another four months, which we are quite ready to do. The garrison and inhabitants received the intelligence with the utmost equanimity felt no earthly doubt as to the result, merely expressing extreme boredom at the prospect of four months more of such monotonous existence.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 8th 8 years 3 months ago #45151

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

5 a.m. The battle renewed. Buller’s guns sound somewhat nearer, so I conclude he is slowly progressing. This is the fourth day’s fight. Our army made quicker, and better work 100 years ago. — Volunteers again chopping my trees. — No food for the horses, so now they run at large.
Dr David Biggins

February 8th 7 years 3 months ago #51869

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Fairly good night. A lot more patients from town, so expect to get marching orders. Visited a number of our fellows, some of whom I feel will never get out of the place. Doctor came round about 11 o’clock but I was away. We have orders to return to camp this evening. Went for another bathe, seeing 13 more poor fellows being carried out for burial. The average now has grown from 5 to 11 of the 1600 men in hospital - truly awful! Had tea with nurses before leaving. Was very grateful to be seated in a train once again. Arrived in town about 5.30 and taken to the Convalescent Home, a large 10 roomed house requisitioned for the purpose. As there were from 30 to 40 men already there, all the beds were occupied, so I got a space on the floor. Sleep was out of the question, the mosquitos being simply dreadful. Although I bound my head up in a handerkerchief and pulled my blanket all over, still the brutes worried me nearly to a state of madness.
Dr David Biggins

February 8th 7 years 3 months ago #51870

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Buller has not come on the 5th as he said. The big guns sounded just as far off all day today. No fresh news today. All our invalids doing well.
Dr David Biggins

February 8th 7 years 2 months ago #51881

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Buller stated he would enter Ladysmith on the 5th?
To who did he tell this awful pack of lies?

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Buller has not come on the 5th as he said. The big guns sounded just as far off all day today. No fresh news today. All our invalids doing well.

February 8th 7 years 2 months ago #51886

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Their disappointment comes across in the diary entries. It was a bold prediction given his past record.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.076 seconds