TOPIC:

January 10th 12 years 2 months ago #1966

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 88 (70%). Ladysmith siege day 70 (58%). Mafeking siege day 90 (41%). Lord Roberts and Lord Kitchener arrive at Cape Town. General Buller moves forward towards Springfield. Dundonald seizes Potgieter's Drift.
1901 - Murder of Morgendaal, Boer peace emissary, in de Wet's laager near Kroonstad.
1902 - War Office determines to raise fresh volunteer companies for South Africa. Hostile speech of the German Chancellor in the Reichstag. Bruce Hamilton captures Major Wolmarans's laager, near Ermelo.

In Kimberley:

Enemy commenced shelling at 3,30 am from Kampersdam, and continued to shell from there, Wimbledon and Olifantsfontein during the morning. For the first time he opened with a gun (cordite) from Alexandersfontein on Davis Heap. The lazaretto cattle guards were also fired on by men in the Sanitary pits, who retired on Otto’s Kopje opening at them with the old police seven pounder. The enemy is active on Carter’s ridge and appears to be making several works there and another between Carter’s farm and the reservoir.

The inhabitants appear to be taking better that I expected to horses’ flesh.

I have decided to let about 180 time expired convicts leave the town.

The number of scurvy cases ahs increased alarmingly during the last few days. The Med officer of health informed me 3 days ago that there were about 300 hundred cases in the town. I have just received a letter from the Secty of the De Beers Board saying there are 720 cases in the compounds. I am arranging for them to have bread at once – in addition to the soup which they have had issued to them for some days past.

Although the camp of mounted troops is in a good sanitary site they have had a high sick list, caused so the officer in med charge says by rain, exposure etc. I wish much I could increase their ration of meat but I fear that is out of the question.

As the few remaining cattle are so valuable I have made special arrangements for extra guards over them at night.

The milk supply for children, infants and invalids is still a great difficulty. A depot has been arranged for, and the inhabitants have been requested to use as little milk as possible, and to send the remainder to the Milk Depot from which it will be distributed by a committee of ladies on the certificate of the medical officer. I much hope in this way we shall get enough.

During the day the enemy had a few men working at each of the works on Carter’s ridge and at the Sanitary pits. These pits are out of range of the police 7 pounder at Otto’s Kopje so I sent out one of the battery guns this evening.

I sent the following messages this evening by searchlight

“From Int K B To Int M D Jan 19th 7 pm No 91. Two headmen William Madulla and Alen Mhlambiso will be passing through Spytfontein to-day. They should have useful information.”

“Jan 10th No 92. In reply yours Jan 8th I 38 according to reports damage to Fourteen Streams Bridge as follows: both shore abutments completely destroyed and girders now resting on banks. No piers damaged; all rails removed.

Jan 10th 7 pm No 93. Reference yours Jan 8th I 39 and 40. My information to-day native sources there are only two hundred Boers and one gun altogether at Susanna, and Olifantsfontein. Potchestroom Laager nine hundred strong reported to be on Modder River at farm WELGEVAL eleven miles East railway.

I received the following:

“From Int M D To Int K B Jan 10th. Please inform how many guns enemy has round Kimberley. Is name of man who escaped from Bloemfontein Field.”

“From Reuter, To Int. Enemy attacked Ladysmith in great force at dawn on 6th. Fighting lasted till 6 pm. Some positions taken and retaken several times. Enemy finally driven off on all sides at point of bayonet with heavy losses. Our losses not yet reported.”

“From Alliance, To Kekewich. Referring to yours 7th instant. Transaction settled here debit Cape Town with amount.”

Volley firing for 10 minutes was heard at about 9 pm in the direction of Spytfontein.

In Ladysmith:

In the night the authorities expected an attack on Observation Hill. They hurried out two guns of the 69th Battery to a position outside King's Post. The guns were dragged through the heavy slush, but when they arrived it was found no guns could live in such a place, fully exposed to all fire, and unsupported by infantry. So back came the weary men and horses through the slush again, getting to their camp between 2 and 3 a.m.

At intervals in the night the two mountain guns on Observation Hill kept firing star-shell to reveal any possible attack. But none came, and the rest of the day was very quiet. My time was occupied in getting off a brief heliogram, and sending out another Kaffir with news of Saturday's defence. Two have been driven back. The Boers now stretch wires with bells across the paths, and it goes hard with any runner caught.

In Mafeking:

Mrs. Poulton, born a Dutch woman, shot through the head and killed, also a few natives; this woman's sister at the commencement of the siege expressed the wish that the streets of Mafeking might run with English blood. This charming lady, named Hammond, created so much disturbance at the commencement of the siege that she was put under restraint; her daughter has since been severely wounded. Curses, like chickens, come home to roost.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 10th 8 years 2 months ago #44738

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

The shells are coming into the town rather thickly this morning. — Nothing funny to record today.
Dr David Biggins

January 10th 7 years 2 months ago #51222

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Turned out at 7 o’clock feeling much better for the rest. Took it easy all day.
Dr David Biggins

January 10th 7 years 2 months ago #51223

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Last night I got a nice little note from Colonel Hamilton, saying he would do all he could for my rapid advancement in the service, and in thanking him, I said the first thing I wanted was the rank of full Colonel, as being the necessary stepping-stone to all further advancement.

This morning came a most lovely message direct from the Queen to Sir G. White, sending congratulations, and saying, “Greatly admire conduct of Devonshire Regiment.” I expect you will have seen it in the papers. Don’t you feel pleased and proud? I just feel fit to jump out of my skin for joy and pride to think that the Queen herself should know and appreciate our services so much as to send such a message, singling out the regiment by name. It is simply glorious. I am just going over to ask Sir G. White to wire home - “Heart-felt thanks of all ranks Devonshire Regiment for Her Majesty’s most gracious message.” Oh! I wish I was with you to share the joy of it. It makes me long all the more for the end of the war, so that I can get back to you and be happy. There can be no question now that, if God brings me safe out of this, I shall get on in the service. I have made a mark at last and have a good chance of a career before me, if only God will grant me life and strength.

We had a drowning wet day all yesterday, today thank goodness, there is bright sun and wind, and we are drying up again.

Things are pretty quiet, but no news of Buller being on the move yet.
Dr David Biggins

January 10th 7 years 2 months ago #51224

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Wilfrid taken ill again with malarial fever. Dr. Currie who is attending him says it would be worth his while to try and get through the Boer lines to get away from this place. It does not suit him. He is hardly ever free from it. Mama a little better.

Major MacFarlane and Colonel Green who are both sick here are rather bad I am afraid. Shell fell in Tin Camp killing 12 mules, 1 white man, 1 kaffir and wounding a Basuto.
Dr David Biggins

January 10th 6 years 1 month ago #57503

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Fine morning. Went to Observation Post. Saw Boer camps moving and fixing position about Brakfontein and Spion Kop.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds