• Page:

TOPIC:

January 3rd 12 years 4 months ago #1876

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Kimberley siege day 81 (65%). Ladysmith siege day 63 (52%). Mafeking siege day 83 (38%). Boer attack on Cyphergat repulsed.

In Kimberley:

Enemy fired a few shells early this morning on our cattle guards as they moved out.

And at about 8 am sent out about 40 men to Wright’s Farm supported by 40 more. They took a spider cart from the farm, and some of them went to the brick fields. A brisk rifle fire at long range was kept up for some time between our vedette and a few men of the Kimberley Regt. I sent 50 mounted men to reinforce the vedette and a company of the Kimberley Regt to the cattle redoubt. Nothing further took place; there were no casualties on our side.

I took over the issue of meat from the butchers this morning, and on the whole it was a success. It wanted a lot of organizing and working out and this was well done by Major Gorle and Capt MacInns. I much hope this new arrangement will obviate many of the difficulties under the former scheme.

More artillery firing than usual was heard this evening between 6 and 7 pm from the direction of Modder River.

I sent the following messages by search light this evening:

“From Int K B to Int M D 3rd Jan 7 pm no 72. Native sent out from here Dec 31st with letters for you unable to get through to Modder Tiver. On Jan 1st Dutch patrols were very active. Native hid in farm Rooidam saw that about 200 Boers pass homestead for North; he watched party as far farm Rustenbrede where enemy disappeared from view. At night native endeavoured to return here, reached farm Rustenbrede before midnight.

Jan 2nd. From hiding place same man saw about 400 Dutch moving from Vaal River to Kimberley along Smidts Drift Rd. On reaching home stead farm Rustenbrede partly divided, one portion proceeded to Kampersdam, other to Spyfontein. Unable to explain these movements. Boers were unaccompanied by waggons.”

“From Int K B To Int M D Jan 3rd No 73. Am informed that message has been conveyed basutos in Kimberley from Bloemfontein that they have permission to travel through Free State to Basutoland. Can there be any hidden danger to us behind this extraordinary liberal treatment, Basutos by Boers. High commissioner might be interested to hear this item information.”

I received the following messages this evening:

“From Methuen, To Kekewich. My reply to your 67 is keep strictly confidential.”

“From Methuen, To Kekewich. Jan 3rd G 202. your 70 more definite information reference period your supplies should last will be given you on arrival of Lord Roberts expected 12th Jan. Meantime arrange to hold out until end of February. Do not take any steps to raise mounted Corps.”

“From Int M D To Int K B 3rd Jan No I11. Your 68 yesterday. All messages have been censored here and bearers instructed to hand everything to military authorities in Kimberley. Your instructions noted. Two runners left you 29th dec and two on 1st jan arrived here to-day.”

I am sorry to say the result of the water trial was not satisfactory. The water in the reservoir fell 3 inches with 4 hours on, and I should not be able to recover this amount, so I must go back to the old rule of the water only being turned on for 2 hours; I may possibly occasionally be able to have it on a little longer. I much hope so, as it seems the only chance unless we have rain of saving the vegetables and fruit trees.

The coal question is most important. I calculate that the stock of coal in hands of de Beers and railway will last about 8 weeks at rate of 320 tons a week.

For pumping water about 80 tons
For cold storage about 40 tone
For search lights about 20 tons
To keep Kimberley mine dry 70 tons
To keep De Beers mine dry 90 tons

Total: 300 tons

There is certainly a quantity of wood available but I think it is very important to be most economical with our coal, and to urge that a quantity be sent to Modder River to be got through directly communication is opened.

In Ladysmith:

The quiet hour before sunrise was again broken by the crash of our Naval guns. "Bloody Mary" (now politely called the "Princess Victoria") threw five shells along the top of Bulwan. A Naval 12-pounder sent three against the face of the hill. Again it was intended to catch the Boer gunners and guard as they were getting up and preparing breakfast.

In Mafeking:

The quick Q.-F. Krupp was moved to the north-west of the town, and fired on the western forts, amongst other places into the women's laager, killing two children, one Dutch, one English.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 3rd 8 years 4 months ago #44660

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

No more tobacco. This is worse than short commons. Shells as usual, early morn, mid-day, and towards sun set. — One of the shops had about 30 bags of sugar, and the owner meant to make a profit out of it, by selling at 2 shillings a pound, what had cost less than 2 pence a pound. But the military powers disapproved of such extortion, so they requistioned the whole, giving a reasonable price for it. — It is said, Buller killed 1800 rebels, in one of the late fights near Colenso. This is cheering if true, but such estimates of an enemy’s loss, are never reliable. Wellington never hazarded such guesses. — Lord Roberts is said to be coming out as commander in chief. Our government might have sent him earlier. Either Roberts or the grim Sirdar, should have been sent. Our government always makes the army’s work, ten times more difficult, by its delay and over squeamishness. We respect all the regulations of the game, towards our opponents who play false. Look at the traitorous Cape Government for instance. It has played into the hands of the rebellious republics, for years. Schriener showed his hand when giving evidence on the Jamison Committee. When Mr Chamberlain spoke of England as the paramount power in South Africa, Schriener corrected him, by substituting the phrase, “chief European power.” Then, the rebels have been supplied with an immense amount of ammunition by Schriener and his government. The Boers could be easily dealt with, it is our own traitors, and mongrel foreigners like Schriener, who cause all the mischief. This precious prymeer of the Cape, actually told Sir Alfred Milner, he would not work with him in trying to thrash the rebellious designs of the republics. And yet such Judases as this, are allowed to escape all punishment.
Dr David Biggins

January 3rd 7 years 4 months ago #50977

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Usual mounted parade at 4 o’clock. Struck with ammunition pack again. Went to town to make a few purchases but was unable to get what I required.

The following prices were given me for goods sold that day: Eggs 17/- to 18/- a dozen, fresh herrings 5/- a tin, small tin tongue 6/-, Matches 6d. a box (usually sold 4/- a gross), Sugar 9d. to l/3d. lb., coffee 3/- lb., com. soap 1/- bar, Pumpkin 16/-.

The following form the Garrison of Ladysmith during siege.

10 Infantry Regiments, viz:
Manchesters, Gordons, Liverpools, Devons, Glosters, Munster Fusiliers, 1st & 2nd Kings Royal Rifles, Rifle Brigade and Leicesters.

6 Batteries of Artillery.
Mountain Battery.
Navals from H.M.S. Powerful

Royal Engineers.
Medical Corps.
13 Companies Field Hospital.
Indian Contingent.
Ordance.

Cavalry: 18th and 19th Hussars, 5th Dragoon Guards, 5th Lancers, Mounted Infantry attached to the Infantry Regiments:

Volunteers: Natal Carbineers, Natal Border Mounted, Natal Mounted Rifles, Naval Volunteers and Hotchkiss Company.

Paraded for picquet at 6 o’clock in pouring rain lasting two hours. Was fortunate in finding a hole in pantry of plate layer’s cottage to sleep in.
Dr David Biggins

January 3rd 7 years 4 months ago #50978

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

We were wakened this morning by our big guns firing three times in quick succession. We heard afterwards that Boers were seen at daylight on the Umbulwana in large numbers returning from some ambush where they had been sleeping. I don't know what damage we did but Long Tom v/as as gay as ever today. One of the shells fell very near us again this morning, just in a garden opposite. A large splinter whizzed over us and fell in the ground at the back of the house. If it had come through the roof, it would have been a nasty jar.

We have forty five patients in Hospital tonight. Fifteen go out to Indombi tomorrow morning but we will be full up again before evening. I am afraid one poor man will not live the night through. He is suffering from Dysentry.

We hear Sir Charles Warren with a force of 15,000 men is at Helpmekaar making his way towards Elandslaagte. Another force is, they say, at Acton Homes. We hear too, that the Boers have sent for reinforcements.
I can't think it will be long now before we are relieved. Colonel Dartnell had a shell through his tent today smashing everything up.
Dr David Biggins

January 3rd 7 years 4 months ago #50985

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Poor Crosby, picquet duty again with the rotten weather to contend with, it does not sound so bad for just a couple of hours, but, once you are soaked completely, it can become very unpleasant indeed, I would have certainly lent him my Babour if I could!
Notwithstanding, I am a little surprised and as an Irishman, rather disappointed that Trooper Crosby certainly did not appear to know the difference between the magnificent Devils Own and those, so often, truly appalling Dirty Shirts!:(

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Usual mounted parade at 4 o’clock. Struck with ammunition pack again. Went to town to make a few purchases but was unable to get what I required.

The following prices were given me for goods sold that day: Eggs 17/- to 18/- a dozen, fresh herrings 5/- a tin, small tin tongue 6/-, Matches 6d. a box (usually sold 4/- a gross), Sugar 9d. to l/3d. lb., coffee 3/- lb., com. soap 1/- bar, Pumpkin 16/-.

The following form the Garrison of Ladysmith during siege.

10 Infantry Regiments, viz:
Manchesters, Gordons, Liverpools, Devons, Glosters, Munster Fusiliers, 1st & 2nd Kings Royal Rifles, Rifle Brigade and Leicesters.

6 Batteries of Artillery.
Mountain Battery.
Navals from H.M.S. Powerful

Royal Engineers.
Medical Corps.
13 Companies Field Hospital.
Indian Contingent.
Ordance.

Cavalry: 18th and 19th Hussars, 5th Dragoon Guards, 5th Lancers, Mounted Infantry attached to the Infantry Regiments:

Volunteers: Natal Carbineers, Natal Border Mounted, Natal Mounted Rifles, Naval Volunteers and Hotchkiss Company.

Paraded for picquet at 6 o’clock in pouring rain lasting two hours. Was fortunate in finding a hole in pantry of plate layer’s cottage to sleep in.

January 3rd 6 years 2 months ago #57496

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Cannon from both sides firing on and off. Still no news of Buller's movements though firing seemed continuous from big guns in the Colenso direction.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds