Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

December 25th 7 years 4 months ago #50830

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Reading both these and recent entries in the various Ladysmith diaries, everyone seems rather keen on plum puddings, it must have been quite something to have actually been able to acquire one for the big day in 1899!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 25th 6 years 2 months ago #57470

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Xmas Day. Only a few shots fired by the Boers. One plugged shell picked up near Kisch's with a note and some pudding jammed into it. The note was as under "Come out of your holes and fight, you cowardly English". One shell struck Player's house and wounded slightly Mrs. C. Kennedy. General Dartnell and Davis gave an evening party for children in our Walton and Tatham Hall at which they had four very handsome Xmas trees which gave great pleasure to all the children as well as to their numerous friends, big and little, all of whom enjoyed a very happy time.
Dr David Biggins

December 25th 2 years 4 months ago #80351

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 25 December. Christmas Day. 75 days of siege.

The Boer Fighting General, under cover of a white flag of truce, said that as this was Christmas Day they would respect it and declare an armistice for today if our Colonel would do the same, which offer was of course promptly accepted.

All the sports, dinners, etc., having taken place yesterday, today seems a perfect day of rest and peace, with the exception of a few thirsty souls out on the bust, everything is extremely quiet, and I am spending my Christmas Day down in my dugout, that being the coolest place I could find, writing up my diary.

A very severe hailstorm with fearful lightning and deafening thunder broke over the town at about i o’clock this morning, some of the poor chaps in the trenches were absolutely washed out. It is wonderful how the men stand it so well.

The P.R. in camp had a very big dinner amongst themselves today. Dixon’s Hotel had reserved their Christmas dinner for this evening, and gave an exceedingly good spread. Such a sight is not often seen, Her Majesty’s officers, friends of the Prince of Wales, etc., sitting down to their Christmas dinner in their flannel shirts with their sleeves turned up to their elbows, and looking generally very hot but very comfortable. What makes it more noticeable, at the same table sit two of our titled British aristocrats, viz. Lord Edward Cecil and Lady Sarah Wilson. We enjoyed a nice little singsong this evening under the very hospitable roof of friend Whales, laughter and whisky galore, winding up with, of course, "Gentlemen, the Queen” and the grand finale of Rule Britannia sung right loyally. Such were our two days which made up the Christmas in the siege.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds