• Page:

TOPIC:

December 23rd 12 years 4 months ago #1762

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4542
1899 - Kimberley siege day 70 (56%). Ladysmith siege day 52 (43%). Mafeking siege day 72 (33%). Lord Roberts departs for South Africa.
1901 - Kroonstad-Lindley blockhouse line completed.

In Kimberley:

I have decided to issue a proclamation reducing breadstuff and meatstuff rations for the inhabitants.

I have from to-morrow inclusive reduced the bread ration for the troops from 1 ¼ to 1 lb and the forage ration from 9 lbs of mealies to 6 lbs.

The horses have done much better on mealies than I expected they would, but I dread this reduction in their food. I have been unable to arrange for any extras for the troops on Christmas day except a little bacon, and they must do without plum puddings as no suet is available.

Myself and staff are much overworked. With this large town the extent of the defence, and the various arrangements connected with 4500 inhabitants keep us constantly employed. I have felt the strain much; I can only manage to get very few hours sleep and this is interrupted constantly by search light messages being received and sent in cipher.

A quiet day, the enemy fired a gun from Wimbledon ridge ion the evening but in what direction it is not known.

The following messages were sent by search light signal this evening:

“From Rhodes. To Milner, Governor, Cape Town. Thank you but why not send coal now to Mud river. Boers cannot steal it and then it can be shoved through quickly when relief arrives.”

“From Intelligence K B. To Intelligence M D. Dec 23rd No 41. In reply yours of Dec 22 No 17 no warrant out in Kimberley against J J Michan. Stop. Cannot say whether Boers have castrated any natives but none have been admitted hospital here in that condition. Stop. 400 British subjects driven away by Boers from Vryburg are trekking to Hope Town they were at Klipdam 18th instant and continued journey via Barkly am informed they have little food.”

“From Kekewich, To Genl Metheun. Dec 23rd No 42. Mounted troops from here proceeded west Dec 21st and destroyed enemy’s water supply Carter’s farm. If you concur will not report this fact to Cape Town. Public announcement may frustraye similar operations which I propose to undertake. Stop. Enemy brought two guns into action against our troops. Gun firing cordite powder appears to have been removed from Kimberley.”

The following arrived during the night by native.

“To OC Relief column. From Col Baden Powell, Mafeking. 5.12.99. All well here in no urgent hurry for relief supplies plentiful for another month or more Chief Moshete has been instructed to help you with guides, etc. Good rain has fallen and water and grass should now be plentiful along your route. We shall be ready to join in when you come into contact with enemy here. Enclosed sketch gives roughly his disposition. His guns are seven and five pounders except one 94 pounder on S E heights. Send word by bearer when we may expect you and any orders etc you may wish to communicate.”

The following messages were received.

“23rd Dec 100 your 39 and your 29. I have wired Director of supplies troops try proposals contractors place fifty or one hundred heads of cattle into Kimberley weekly in present condition of affairs an attempt should be made.”

“From Penfold, To chairman, De Beers Kimberley. Standard Bank ask instructions re payment De Beers Debentures due first January instruct us early.”

“From CSO to CSO Kimberley. Following received from Military Secretary Government Hoiuse, Dec 23rd. convey to Colonel Kekewich and all garrison and inhabitants Kimberley his Excellency’s best wishes for good luck on Christmas Day and in the coming New Year.”

“From Intelligence M R. To Intelligence K B. 23rd Dec No 19. Your 40 of yesterday. It is considered inadvisable for you to send additional copies we can get this work done ourselves.”

“From Int M D. To Intelligence K B. 23rd Dec No 18. Your 36 of Dec 20 the two men arrived here.”

In Ladysmith:

The bombardment was violent at intervals, and some hundreds of shells must have been thrown at us. But there was no method or concentration in the business.

Buller's guns were heard for about two hours in the morning, and wild rumours filled the air. Roberts and Kitchener were coming out. Buller was across the Tugela. Within the week our relief was certain. At night the 18th Hussars gave another concert among the rocks by the riverside. In the midst of a comic song on the inner meaning of Love came a sound as of distant guns. The inner meaning of Love was instantly forgotten. All held their breaths to listen. But it was only some horses coming down to water, and we turned to Love again, while the waning moon rose late beside Lombard's Kop, red and shapeless as a potsherd.

In Mafeking:

Saturday. Fairly quiet.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 23rd 8 years 4 months ago #44566

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, November 1899:

Programme same as yesterday. — Natal mounted rifles, building an oven expressly to cook their Christmas dinner. They are fortunate in having anything to cook. Have just sold them a dozen eggs for 10s/. — Heggs is heggs now a days. These volunteers have just asked my permission to have their Christmas feed in my garden under the shade of my trees. Of course I allowed them. They invited me and my family to dinner, but we did not accept the invitation. — The children of the town, who did not run away, are invited to a Christmas tree party. — Brown sugar 9 pence a pound. The price was formerly 2 pence a pound.
Dr David Biggins

December 23rd 7 years 4 months ago #50779

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Up at 5. After usual routine I was told off for special fatigue at the Brigade Commissariat. Took it easy during afternoon. At night 50 of our men were detailed off to construct stone walls (sangers) for our piquet outside the Mimosa Bush. This was sadly wanted to afford us some protection in such a dangerous position, that might be attacked any night.
Dr David Biggins

December 23rd 7 years 4 months ago #50780

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

We have had a very busy clay today preparing out of nothing to make something extra for Christmas. We began early and have kept it up all day long. After dinner we went up to the Hall to decorate the Christmas trees. It is wonderful the collection of toys they have managed to get, considering none of the stores had got up their Christmas stores and goods before the line was closed, and the quantity, there is enough for 500 children. There will only be 200. First of all there were three trees, South Africa, one of the common inert acacia trees very common here, then Great Britain, a fir, then Australia, a blue gum. Major Dufferton came and said Canada must be represented. In no time he had another which we had no time to finish, so will do that on Monday morning.

The room looks all Christmas trees. It is perhaps as well there won't be many children.
Dr David Biggins

December 23rd 7 years 4 months ago #50823

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is certainly interesting to read that so many in Ladysmith made the very best of all they had during Christmas week, although, to be stuck in Ladysmith really cannot have been a pleasant experience.

djb wrote: 1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

We have had a very busy clay today preparing out of nothing to make something extra for Christmas. We began early and have kept it up all day long. After dinner we went up to the Hall to decorate the Christmas trees. It is wonderful the collection of toys they have managed to get, considering none of the stores had got up their Christmas stores and goods before the line was closed, and the quantity, there is enough for 500 children. There will only be 200. First of all there were three trees, South Africa, one of the common inert acacia trees very common here, then Great Britain, a fir, then Australia, a blue gum. Major Dufferton came and said Canada must be represented. In no time he had another which we had no time to finish, so will do that on Monday morning.

The room looks all Christmas trees. It is perhaps as well there won't be many children.

December 23rd 6 years 2 months ago #57465

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Shelling from Boers all day and some musketry firing during night. Cannonading continued from the direction of Colenso all day.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds