• Page:

TOPIC:

December 22nd 12 years 3 months ago #1753

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1899 - Kimberley siege day 69 (55%). Ladysmith siege day 51 (42%). Mafeking siege day 71 (32%).
1900 - Reinforcements ordered out to South Africa.

In Kimberley:

Reconnaissance this morning of the 300 mounted troops; 4 guns DFA; 7th Co RE; 1 Company 1/LN Lan Regt for the purpose if possible of filling in the well at Carter’s farm and of observing the movements Laager and position of the enemy in the direction of koppie’s Dam and Spyfontein.

It was very satisfactorily conducted and the well was filled in without any casualties. Little or no information however was obtained as to the enemy’s laagers or postion. He opened fire with a gun and long range rifle from Wimbledon at our mounted troops at Johnston’s Kopje, - the enemy’s works to west of Lazaretto where Lt Scott Turner was killed on 28th Nov were visited and about 30 dead horses found near it.

I consider it is very important the filling in of this well at Carter’s farm. Many of the enemy have been watering there at nights, and there is every indication that the enemy has of late been in difficulties as to his water supply.

During the day about 500 of the enemy were observed to be preparing near Kamper’s Dam for an attack apparently from the direction of Barkly West; possibly this is on account of the number of men we had on Otto's Kopje this morning, and it may not have been observed that they had returned to Kimberley.

During the day a number of mounted Boers (estimated at 200) and 3 waggons were seen moving from Alexandersfontein to Susanna.

Some carts were also seen proceeding from Olifantsfontein to South of Spitzkof.

I saw either a shell burst or a gun fired on the ridge immediately to South of Spitzkof at about 7 pm. It is difficult to account for this.

I sent the following search light signal this evening:

“Dec 22nd 7 pm No 38. Propose firstly in order to reduce number of mouths, secondly to assist you with men for employment on railway, and thirdly that they may give you information of the enemy’s position to send from here commencing to-morrow at least one hundred natives daily. Should be glad to know daily by search light how many arrive.”

“Dec 22 7 pm No 39. in reply to your G 77. have so arranged breadstuffs and forage to last until 15th February as directed, but meatstuffs including all reserves preserved meat and Milch cows will only last out 30 days from to-day. Stop. Meat ration is now very small and of very inferior quality. Stop. All reducing breadstuffs from three quarters pound per head to five eighths pound per diem. Calculations are based on forty five thousand inhabitants civil and military. Am endeavouring by every means get in some of enemy’s cattle but so far with poor success.”

I received the following messages during the night:

“From Intelligence M R> To Intelligence K B. 22 No 15. your 37 of yesterday will acknowledge when received. Stop. We should like thirty copies but if this very difficult or ---- we can get them reproduced Cape Town. Stop. Five natives arrived here 21 st and three 22 nd. Stop. Capt McFarlane Black Watch was killed on Dec 11th.”

“From Int M D. To Int K B. 22nd Dec No 17. is warrant our against J J Michan, if so on what charge.”

“From Milner Governor to Rhodes. I have received your telegram of 18th December Understand the importance of keeping up coal supply arrangements are in progress and coal will be ready for immediate despatch to Kimberley as soon as communication is open.”

Another message about Angus Brown.

“From Intelligence to Modern, Kimberley. 6 men sent from Kimberley to Mud river reported to have been caught by Boers and castrated and sent back to you supposed to be now in hospital. Is this true.”

In Ladysmith:

The morning opened with one of those horrible disasters which more than balance our general good luck. The Bulwan gun began his morning shell rather later than usual. His almost invariable programme is to fire five or six shots at the bakery or soda-water shed beside my cottage; then to give a few to the centre of the town, and to finish off with half a dozen at the Light Horse and Gordons down by the Iron Bridge. Having earned his breakfast, he usually stops then, and cools down a bit. The performance is so regular that when he has finished with our end of the town the men cease to take precautions even at the sound of the whistle or bugle which gives notice of danger whenever the special sentry sees the gun flash.

But this morning the routine was changed. Having waked me up as usual with the crash of shells close by on my left, the gun was turned down town, smashed into a camp or two without damage, and then suddenly whipped round on his pivot and sent a shell straight into the Gloucester lines, about 300 yards away to my right. It pitched just on the top of a traverse at the foot of the low hill now held by the Devons. The men were quite off their guard, busy with breakfast and sharing out the kettles. In an instant five lay dead and twelve were wounded. The shell burst so close that three of the dead were horribly scorched. One got covered by a tarpaulin, and was not found at first. His body was split open, one leg was off, his head was burnt and smashed to pulp. The cries of the wounded told me at once what had happened. Summoned by telephone, the dhoolies came quickly up and bore them away, together with the remains of the dead. Three of the wounded died before the night. Eight dead and nine wounded—it is worse than the disaster to the King's (Liverpools) almost exactly on the same spot a few weeks ago. In the middle of the morning much the same thing nearly happened to the 5th Lancers. The 6 in. gun on Telegraph Hill, usually more noisy than harmful, was banging away at the Old Camp and the Naval battery on Cove Hill, when one of the shells ricocheted off the hill-top, and plunged into the Lancers' camp at the foot. Four officers were hit, including the colonel, who had a bit of finger blown off, and a segment through both legs. A sergeant lost an eye. One officer ducked his head and got a fragment straight through his helmet. The shell was a chance shot, but that made it no better. The men are sick of being shot at like rabbits, and sicker still of running into rabbit holes for shelter. The worst of all is that we can no longer reply for fear of wasting ammunition.

There was no sound of Buller's guns all day. I induced another Kaffir to make the attempt of running the Boer lines. Mr. McCormick, a Colonial correspondent, also started. I should go myself, but have no wish to be shut up in Pretoria for the rest of the campaign, cut off from all letters, and more useless even than I am here. So I spent the afternoon with others, building a sand-bag fort round the tent where Mr. Steevens is to be nursed, beside the river bank. The five o'clock shells came pretty close, pitching into the Light Horse camp and the main watering ford. But the tent itself is fairly safe. The feeding of the horses is our greatest immediate difficulty. Every bit of edible green is being seized and turned to account. I find vine-leaves a fair substitute for grass, but my horses are terribly hungry all the same.

In Mafeking:

Quiet, but furious musketry fire at night, bullets flying everywhere.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 22nd 8 years 3 months ago #44565

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, November 1899:

Buller at Colenso, and shells in the town, food scanty, just the usual programme. — No one believes the yarn about the rebels having taken ten of our guns, but there is a more cheerful feeling prevalent in the town. It is reported that Buller has stormed the rebel trenches at Colenso, killing 500 rebels, and losing 60 of his own men. The general impression is, that the relief column will be here on Christmas morning. Natal was discovered by Vasco di Gama, on Christmas day 1494, and is also to be saved on that festival, perhaps. — Buller is in possession of Tugela Heights, but there are some formidable positions between Colenso and Ladysmith. And from this place to the Border, there is little but koppies covered with rocks such as Boers love to fight behind. The only way to beat the rebels, is by night attacks and cold steel.
Dr David Biggins

December 22nd 7 years 3 months ago #50758

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Got a message from 2nd battalion last night to say that the regiment behaved well at the Colenso fight last week; but that Bullock, Walter and Smyth-Osbourne had been taken prisoners, and Goodwyn, Vigors, Radcliffe, Gardiner, and Storey wounded - all doing well.

I got rather a blow today, no less than that Yule is not a major-general after all, so that I am not a lieut-colonel. I had gone up to the headquarters to see General Hunter about getting an answer sent to the 2nd battalion, and I asked him if I could get news of my promotion when gazetted, and told him of Yule’s telegram from Sir. G. White with congratulations on his promotion. He had never heard of it, and was sure Yule was not promoted; I expect, though, that he has been invalided home, and I shall be left in command permanently.

I was told officially that another division arrived at Cape Town two days ago, and that two more have just sailed from England; also that a siege train of heavy howitzers sailed from England about the 9th inst., so that Buller will be in position to make a move again the first week of the New Year, or, if he waits for the other divisions, about the 10th or 15th January, so that we should have three weeks at most, and perhaps only ten days, to hang on here now. We have been collecting stock hard for our Christmas dinner, and have amassed one small pig, one cock, four hens, and the ingredients for a plum duff and mince pies. The little pig is being stuffed daily till he can hardly stand, and the hens have laid three eggs in two days - one each for C.O., second in command and adjutant. The mess president is to have the next. There is a talk of a place having been discovered where a limited number of buns are to be had, and Sergeant Cowl has been sent flying off to see what he can get. He is an excellent forager, and has done wonders for us.
Dr David Biggins

December 22nd 7 years 3 months ago #50759

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Roused at 4 o’clock. Usual routine. Took horses to graze near Naval Camp. Looked up Bartlett who is quartermaster N.V. Found him sick. Five Glosters killed and 9 wounded by a shrapnel, and later on 10 Lancers wounded including Col, Major, 2 Capts. and Sergt. Major who were having a consultation. Only 6 of my troops (originally 40) turned out on parade this morning. N.M.R. formed an impromptu band consisting of big drum (flour cask sheep skin ends), side drum, triangle, 8 tin whistles. Drum Major was splendidly made up causing much amusement and as they play very well they are likely to keep it going. Firing heard in direction of Acton Homes - assumed flanking column from Gen. Buller. Read in orders that greetings had been sent to our Mothers, wives, sweethearts, relations and friends of volunteers. Our casualties during siege is growing to a mournful degree. Over 100 have been killed and quite 250 wounded. From what I can learn an average of 120 shells. ’’Long Tom’s” and smaller guns have been sent into the town since bombardment commenced. The N.M. R. are making great preparations for a feast on Xmas Day, having built a large brick oven to cook their goodies. Officers contribute each 1 pound, non-coms, 10/- and men 5/-. We are doing nothing and I hardly think it worth the cost having to pay 5/- to 7/6 for fowls - everything else at exorbitant prices. Feeling so limp for want of nourishing food one might be inclined to overload with disastrous effects.
Dr David Biggins

December 22nd 7 years 3 months ago #50760

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another disastrous day, a shell falling in the Gloucester Camp killing 5 men, and wounding 2 mortally, and seven others wounded. Another fell in the Lancer Camp, took the Colonel's thumb off. Another had his eye taken out. Everyone is getting too careless.

This afternoon they were falling thick and fast all down in this direction, and we were pouring out tea to a roomful of visitors. I heard some fall very near and after everyone had gone Nurse and I went down to the Carbineer lines. Nurse wanted to see Dr. Currie, to see if he would allow her to go back to work again. Colonel Green greeted us with "Come and see our Mess tent". A shell had burst just behind the tent sending showers of dirt and splinters all over the place. One of the splinters fell in our garden. Wilfrid picked it up. 1 horse was wounded in the leg, some eggs, pickles, currants or raisins were smashed up and spoilt, such a loss as everything is bought up now.

Colonel Dartnell and Major Davis of the I.L.H. were amongst our callars this afternoon. They came to ask us to help with a Christmas Tree they are giving to the children of this town on Christmas night. It is awfully good of them, for the poor little things will have a very miserable Christmas. They are going to give them ginger pop and cakes. I do hope the Boers will want a quiet Christmas and take a rest.

Twelve dhooiies passed this afternoon with sick men, it is a most distressing sight to see so much sickness.
Dr David Biggins

December 22nd 7 years 3 months ago #50822

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Miss Craw certainly seems to have been quite a socialite during the awful siege, her list of acquaintances is a most impressive one.

djb wrote: 1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another disastrous day, a shell falling in the Gloucester Camp killing 5 men, and wounding 2 mortally, and seven others wounded. Another fell in the Lancer Camp, took the Colonel's thumb off. Another had his eye taken out. Everyone is getting too careless.

This afternoon they were falling thick and fast all down in this direction, and we were pouring out tea to a roomful of visitors. I heard some fall very near and after everyone had gone Nurse and I went down to the Carbineer lines. Nurse wanted to see Dr. Currie, to see if he would allow her to go back to work again. Colonel Green greeted us with "Come and see our Mess tent". A shell had burst just behind the tent sending showers of dirt and splinters all over the place. One of the splinters fell in our garden. Wilfrid picked it up. 1 horse was wounded in the leg, some eggs, pickles, currants or raisins were smashed up and spoilt, such a loss as everything is bought up now.

Colonel Dartnell and Major Davis of the I.L.H. were amongst our callars this afternoon. They came to ask us to help with a Christmas Tree they are giving to the children of this town on Christmas night. It is awfully good of them, for the poor little things will have a very miserable Christmas. They are going to give them ginger pop and cakes. I do hope the Boers will want a quiet Christmas and take a rest.

Twelve dhooiies passed this afternoon with sick men, it is a most distressing sight to see so much sickness.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds