Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: October 20th 7 years 6 months ago #49195

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I see reference is made to those "Irish Lancers" again! :woohoo:
(of course, a great many were Englishmen!)

djb wrote: 1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Overslept and unfortunately the Regimental Sergt. Major passed my tent. Finding I was still in bed he kicked up a great fuss, abusing me in a manner common to Whitechapel, and, what was even more grevious, reported me to the Colonel, an injury he may yet have to answer for. Though driven pretty hard, I have done my duty, at times 40 hours at a stretch without sleep, and little food, and can conscientiously say never shirked my work. The colonel was most fair but he had to accept the word of an officer, and in consequence I got lightly censured, whereas he might have fined me up to 10 pounds. After cleaning up picket lines (stables) I got some rest. News arrived in camp about I o’clock that Lancers had taken Elandlaagte, after a brilliant charge. We were in the saddle an hour after and remained so for several hours without moving out. Left camp about 9 o’clock and lined up near the Railway Station linking horses. Here we remained for the night. The first ambulance train came in at midnight bringing in wounded Gordons and Imperial Light Horse from Elandslaagte. On horse guard 2 hours.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: October 20th 7 years 6 months ago #49243

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I was rather puzzled by this entry, Trooper Crosby appears to have witnessed the aftermath of the 21st of October the day before they had actually occurred?

djb wrote: 1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Overslept and unfortunately the Regimental Sergt. Major passed my tent. Finding I was still in bed he kicked up a great fuss, abusing me in a manner common to Whitechapel, and, what was even more grevious, reported me to the Colonel, an injury he may yet have to answer for. Though driven pretty hard, I have done my duty, at times 40 hours at a stretch without sleep, and little food, and can conscientiously say never shirked my work. The colonel was most fair but he had to accept the word of an officer, and in consequence I got lightly censured, whereas he might have fined me up to 10 pounds. After cleaning up picket lines (stables) I got some rest. News arrived in camp about I o’clock that Lancers had taken Elandlaagte, after a brilliant charge. We were in the saddle an hour after and remained so for several hours without moving out. Left camp about 9 o’clock and lined up near the Railway Station linking horses. Here we remained for the night. The first ambulance train came in at midnight bringing in wounded Gordons and Imperial Light Horse from Elandslaagte. On horse guard 2 hours.

October 20th 6 years 6 months ago #56093

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
From the Northern Echo (Darlington), Saturday, October 21st

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

October 20th 6 years 6 months ago #56106

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
From the Belfast News-Letter, 23 October 1899

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

October 20th 6 years 6 months ago #56107

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
I came across this the other day..

The farm house as it is today

The medals to a Dhooley Bearer who was there that day

The medals returned to Talana.

I have a list of 13 Dhooly Bearer casualties for the War. None were awarded a single clasp QSA so impossible as yet to know who were the 4 that were lost. I am not sure how the brandy and sugar went down but telling remark at the end.... due to their religious scruples the food they ate need to be cooked by themselves and only 3 hours after they had finished the days work were they able to eat.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Rory

October 20th 6 years 6 months ago #56116

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Thanks to David G, I am able to show one of my 'special ' QSA's , which was awarded to another of the Talana Dhooley Bearers.

Brett
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.437 seconds