Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

VC 11 years 4 weeks ago #9374

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi David,
I think that the use of the phrase "Erdington Workhouse" says it all here, very sad indeed, moreover, I very much doubt if any of this did his claim for a pension much good either. :(
Today, it would be hard for any of us to say whether or not this man was okay, he might have been a bad apple, but, I always feel sorry when I read about this sort of thing.
Life was very hard for so many people back then, in particular, those at the bottom of the ladder, dark days indeed, made worse, as he had won the Victoria Cross.
Of course there was always the danger, that he might have felt that the world owed him a living, which it did not, simply because he had won the VC.

Enjoyed reading about him on here today, I tend not to look to much at recipients of the VC, because, as a medal collector, I know its the one thing I cannot have. :(
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: Source: Birmingham Daily Post, 25 Aug 1908

Theft of metal at Bromford. A VC hero imprisoned

At Aston Police Court yesterday George Ravenhill, labourer, no fixed residence; Lot Galeford, labourer, Park Street, Aston; and John Toye, labourer, 84, Clifton Road, were charged with stealing at Bromford, on the 21st inst. 3 ¾ cwt of iron, valued at 6s, the property of James Rollasson, manufacturer of Bromford Mills. Ravenhill is a Victoria Cross hero, having gained the distinction at at Colenso. He was before the court some months ago on a charge of refusing to perform his allotted task at Erdington Workhouse.

John Small, foreman at Bromford Mills, spoke to missing the iron from near the entrance gates of the works, and George Ward, marine store dealer, of Bright Street, Aston, said he bought the iron from Ravenhill and Galeford on the 24th of August for 5s.7 ½ d which was the market price.

Toye, giving evidence of his own behalf, said he had no idea the iron was stolen. The other prisoners merely asked him to give them a lift with the iron, which they said they had found in the brook. Toye was discharged and Galeford, who had been in trouble before, was sentenced to three months hard labour.

In the case of Ravenhill, Detective Inspector Jackson stated that he could not say much in the man’s favour. He had been keeping company with Galeford for the past month. One day he told witness that he was still looking for work and asked him to help him. Witness said he would if he would keep away from bad companions, otherwise he could not recommend him.

Ravenhill told the Bench he believed he was entitled to a pension of £50 per annum. If he had had that he should not have been mixed up with this affair, but he had heard nothing from the authorities regarding his claim.

The Bench said they had no other course but to send Ravenhill to gaol for a month, they had tried to help him but he would not help himself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VC 11 years 4 weeks ago #9377

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning David.....

If you read between the lines you might think that Strong Drink is involved.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

VC 11 years 3 weeks ago #9385

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
I was reading an article about Ravenhill in which it was stated that:

"Shortly before Ravenhill’s death, King George V declared that the VC should never be forfeited. ‘Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder’, wrote the King, ‘he should be allowed to wear the VC on the scaffold’. His name was returned to the Register."
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

VC 11 years 3 weeks ago #9387

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think that was the fairest course of action, the cross was earned by a recipient for his courage on a given day and time, the actions of a recipient long after the particular event should not enter in to the valor he displayed ealier, I think the King was quite right.

djb wrote: I was reading an article about Ravenhill in which it was stated that:

"Shortly before Ravenhill’s death, King George V declared that the VC should never be forfeited. ‘Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder’, wrote the King, ‘he should be allowed to wear the VC on the scaffold’. His name was returned to the Register."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds