• djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Source: Page 110

Title: Bulawayo Town Guard

68/SA/3224
June 1915

No rolls and not entitled to the SA Medal.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Town Guards 11 years 1 month ago #8977

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
I think that comment is spot on!!
Regards
IL.

Town Guards 11 years 1 month ago #9014

• LinneyI
Interested Forum Members
The award of the Talana bar to the Dundee DRA and the TG must have been seen as really exceptional at the time. Creswicke Vo.7 (between text pages 192 and 193 shows pics of the "Dundee (Natal) local Defence Force under Mr.J.W.Holding and Mr. W.Thorrold" with the pic having the notation that "This force was in the field and did duty on day of Talana and received War Medal and clasp". A little further on is illustrated the Dundee TG (or some of them, anyway) - with no marginal note. This is not to say that the qualified members of the TG did not get the Talana bar; we know that they did.
I have attached copies with this post; Mr. Biggins has illustrated the first in his Talana Account and Medal Roll - but without the text comment. Clearly, if any forum member does not have a copy of the Biggins Account, they should obtain one without delay!
On a closing note, it is interesting to observe that the lads in both abovementioned pics have shiny new Magazine Lee-Enfields and Mills double row cotton bandoliers.
Regards to all
IL.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Town Guards 11 years 1 month ago #9024

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
IL,

I think at the time that I didn't realise the significance of the 'medal with clasp' and have only realised this recently.

The second picture is one I haven't seen before (and wish I had!).

My version of Creswick does not include these images. I believe there was a different edition with some pictures that do not appear in all. Do you have the version that contains named pictured of some Town Guards. I have been searching for a while to obtain copies of these images to add to my site, especially as they are named.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Town Guards 11 years 1 month ago #9045

• LinneyI
David
Yes, I do have the version with lots of pics of TG's and other units. I really should have twigged before that some Creswicks had different pics to others; my original set (obtained c1976 and long gone in a domestic upheaval) had nowhere the number of pics my current editions have! It did sort of drift across my mind - or what passes for it at times! - but it passed on. I have a busy Court circut this week and next and will list what units are in Creswicke 7 over Easter and let you know. Better to send pics to you on CD?
Always glad to assist.
IL.

Town Guards 11 years 1 month ago #9046

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ian,

I would be very interested to see that list and, if possible gain access to the images. I think they would be a great addition to the site.

With thanks for your help
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds