Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 5 months ago #49796

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Bronwen
Probably not an awful lot of help - but "333 Pte. Sidney Carter" is shown on my listing of IY as serving in the 5th Coy., 2nd Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. That Company nominally at least had the title "Warwickshire"; there were two contingents; the first of 137 souls and the second of 146. Both contingents served with the 2nd IY. The medal roll should tell you which. Usual clasps granted to the IY for their QSA medal were "Cape Colony", "Orange Free State", "Transvaal" and either (or both) "South Africa 1901" and/or "South Africa 1902".
Good luck with your search for his QSA medal. However, I do know of descendants of soldiers who have purchased a replica of their medal/s with appropriate clasps fitted. It is important to remember these lads who volunteered.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Bronwen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 5 months ago #49797

• Bronwen
  • Bronwen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for your reply, your input is greatly appreciated.I know he was involved in the Battle of Hammanskraal, so probably Transvaal. I will try contact his descendants, but there are hundreds. as a matter of interest where does one buy replica medals?

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 5 months ago #49798

• LinneyI
Bronwen
Replica QSA medals can be had with appropriate clasps from everyone's favourite on-line e*** site. A good quality replica would not be too expensive; If you choose to go that path, I would suggest you ascertain the correct clasps. Indeed, if you were to engage a researcher to look for his papers, they may give you additional information.
Hamanskraal saw a bit of activity during the South African war. On 20th August, 1900 part of Colonel Paget's column skirmished with retreating Boers near that station on the railway line. In the later stages of the campaign however, there were many small and not so small actions fought right across the theatre; clearly very important to those participating (!) but today sometimes hard to follow and locate.
Again, good hunting - whichever path you follow.
IL.

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 5 months ago #49799

• Bronwen
  • Bronwen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for the info on Hammanskraal and the replica medals. I assume you mean eBay which does not ship to South Africa. I did find a newspaper account where my ancestor is quoted re his experiences at Hammanskraal where he saw Lt Flowers killed. Much appreciated.

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 5 months ago #49800

• LinneyI
Bronwen
Lt.Flower is shown in the Palmer Casualty roll as being killed in action at "Humanskraal" 20/8/1900. He was with the Warwickshire Coy. of the 2nd Bn., IY. Sometimes, place names were reported with spelling variations! At least that information establishes a time frame. Yes, e**ay!! A pity they do not ship to SA.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bronwen

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 5 months ago #49804

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Bronwen

I can add that his QSA clasp entitlement was Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902 which is fairly typical for the Imperial Yeomanry. An additional note on the medal roll states that he was a sergeant with the 26th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry, a unit to which he was presumably transferred or seconded.

Regards

David

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds