Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92065

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
I have always taken the view that others should be given the same collecting opportunities that I have enjoyed over the past half century. My children have no interest in my collection and I have advised them to contact a variety of auction houses when I am gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, EFV, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92068

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2010
Here is the current medals & badges acquisition policy for the National Army Museum, London.

They are actively looking for the following:

Medals and badges
Medal groups of Indian soldiers of the Indian Army; issued campaign medals for recent and current operations, including the Operational Service Medals; medal groups representing operational gallantry post 1992. Also, examples of current regimental badges and cloth insignia.

So unless you have a medal to an Indian soldier, the ABW is of little interest.

The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92077

• Bicolboy59
  • Thank you received: 73
As a schoolboy, I used to work my Saturday's after sport conserving items and Sunday's as a guide at the NSW Lancer museum in Parramatta. Their ABW collection was extensive but located in 1 of only for rooms in an historic 2 story building. the room dedicated to pre Federation had some amazing items including the bespoke octagonal barrel Mauser rifle used by Smuts before his surrender. Uniforms, medals and ephemera. Then there was the Annex, a purpose built storage facility which housed items unable to be displayed. Every decade or so, the museum releases (by way of sale), items from their collection unfit for (due to condition) or excess to needs to the general public. It was a wonderful way not only to generate some income for the costs of running the museum but also allowed collectors the opportunity to obtain hard to get items for their varied themes. Whilst not many ABW items were ever offered, (mostly WW1 and 2), the look of joy on the buyers faces was proof positive that it was worth the exercise to put these items in the public domain where collectors would have the time and energy to conserve them for the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, Moranthorse1

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92088

• EFV
  • EFV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 376
Bicolboy59 Thank you for your reaction. Although I understand your enthusiasm for the ability to acquire items from a Museum's store rooms, it is exactly that type of sale (beside theft) that scares people off from donating collections to museums. Collections are often built up over many decades and at considerable cost and effort. Items that have long ago been spread over the globe are brought back together or put into proper context. Every collector has to make at one time in his life a decision what to do with his collection. In many cases his offspring have no interest in the items. which leaves the choice to sell individual items or donate or sell them as a coherent group at advantageous conditions to a museum. In the latter case, the last thing the collector would want to see is the museum to split the collection up and sell (tems from) it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92100

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 776
The main problem about private collections is the mortality of the collector.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92101

• EFV
  • EFV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 376
Rob, thanks for reminding me.... On the flip side, dispersion of a collection allows the younger generation to enjoy the same hobby. If we just would be able to lower the transaction cost (the auctioneer takes 20+ % on both sides, increasing the cost to the new owner by something like 40%.)

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.613 seconds