Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bully beef and dog biscuits 1 year 9 months ago #84111

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
This probably confuses more than it helps:

By the way I do know who made the plum jam that was sent out to the British Army in WW1 - the father of the husband of one my wife's great-aunts. Meanwhile one of my distant relations stirred the jam in the factory in Grimsby where the Tickler family made their fortune. The soldiers made up rude songs about it and used the tins it came in to make grenades. Locals in Grimsby noted the large number of wagonloads of swedes that entered the factory on a daily basis.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bully beef and dog biscuits 1 year 9 months ago #84112

• QSAMIKE
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1879
In the RN there is the suggestion and the legend, and I repeat legend that all tinned meat was called "Fanny Adams"..... See below from Wikipedia.....

and I quote.....

In 1869, new rations of tinned mutton were introduced for British seamen. They were unimpressed by it, and suggested it might be the butchered remains of Fanny Adams. "Fanny Adams" became slang for mediocre mutton, stew, scarce leftovers and then anything worthless. The large tins the mutton was delivered in doubled as mess tins. These or cooking pots are still known as Fannys.

By the mid-20th century, many working class men were pretending to their sons and social superiors that their own favoured expression, "sweet F.A.", stood for "sweet Fanny Adams" with its commonplace meaning of total inaction or downtime, while they and their peers used that expression among themselves to mean "sweet f""k all". Sweet Fanny Adams has lingered as a euphemism for that expletive.

Just search Fanny Adams Case for full story....

M.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Bully beef and dog biscuits 1 year 9 months ago #84113

• QSAMIKE
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1879
Just remembered where they were so took some pictures......

M.

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Bully beef and dog biscuits 1 year 9 months ago #84114

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300

QSAMIKE wrote: Just remembered where they were so took some pictures......

M.

On display in the museum?

Was it in I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again that in one sketch there was a character called Sweet, who was from the Football Association, possibly played by John Cleese?

Bully beef and dog biscuits 1 year 9 months ago #84116

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Corned beef and beef extract was supplied by the Liebig Co., under the trade names "Fray Bentos" and "LEMCO". By January 1900 they had apparently already supplied 5,128,192 cups of beef tea to the British Army in South Africa, equating to 4,000 head of cattle.

Liebig's prominence in South Africa was such that the company was able to initiate a series of military sports competitions, presenting silver cups to be competed for by the British Army.

Stamford Mercury, 8th June 1900

THE RELIEF OF MAFEKING.
Patriotism finds expression in many and varied ways, not the least pleasant of which is the thought taken by all sorts and conditions of people at home for the men at the front. Two fifty-guinea silver cups have just been presented by Liebig’s Extract of Meat Company (Lemco) for Military Sports in commemoration of the relief. These cups are just about to be shipped to South Africa.

Below is a silver watch that was presented by officers of the 10th Mounted Infantry to "No 4582 PTE A. HANCOCK 2ND RYL BERKS COY 10TH M.I.", for winning the 1902 Liebig Shooting Competition.
Watch retailed by: "G.P. Perks & Son King William's Town".

London Evening Standard, 27th January 1900

Attachments:

Bully beef and dog biscuits 1 year 9 months ago #84117

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
I'm sure anyone who has walked the battlefields of South Africa will recognise this as the remnants of Tommy's lunch/dinner ...
This example from the Paardeberg operations.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.772 seconds