Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Case of Penal Servitude 2 years 5 months ago #79691

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 820
Extracting Service Records for Smethwick men from Find My Past I have come across the case of Joel Foster (there are plenty of J Foster’s in the ABW Forum database but none seem to correspond to Joel).

Page 1 of his service record (all four pages attached) shows he attested on 19 August 1890 and he was born in Smethwick and aged 18 years 0 months at the time. Smethwick is correct but as other records show he was born on 8 August 1873 he appears to have added a year on to his age. As page 2 shows he was of average height for the time and weighed in at a healthy 9 stone 2 lbs the recruiting officer need not have been party to the deception. He was by no means the first Smethwick man to inflate his age when attesting. He was allocated to the Worcestershire Regiment, regimental number 2735.

Page 4 shows that after over 3 years serving in the East Indies he embarked for South Africa on 17 March 1900 but, after only 261 days there, he was back in GB on 3 December 1900 and was discharged on 14 February 1901 when he “forfeited all” his over 10 years service.

Turning back to page 3 indicates he had a discipline free military career until 8 October 1900 – “Discharged on his having been sentenced to Penal Servitude for 3 years at ? ? So Africa 8.10.00”. The ?’s indicate two words I cannot decipher but I presume are a place in S Africa – can anybody help? Is there any way of finding out the details of his presumed court martial?

The 31 March 1901 Census recorded him as an inmate of Guston Military Prison near Dover. He was still keeping up the lie about his age which is recorded as 28 rather than 27.

I cannot find him on the 1911 census but the 1939 Register shows him living in Tat Bank Road, Oldbury (adjoining Borough to Smethwick) and working as a labourer.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Case of Penal Servitude 2 years 5 months ago #79692

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
I think the prison may have been at Thaba 'Nchu which is a town in Free State, South Africa, 63 km east of Bloemfontein and 17 km east of Botshabelo. The town was settled in December 1833 and officially established in 1873. . It was known among the Voortrekkers as Blesberg (blazed mountain, bald mountain).
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

A Case of Penal Servitude 2 years 5 months ago #79693

• Dave F
Private Foster 1st battalion Worcester Regiment 2735
Medal roll dated 12th June 1901 at Ficksburg. Medal and clasps forfeited.
Remarks column.....1st word not sure. I thought it was died with Ignominy ;) but I'm sure he didn't die in South Africa.

Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

A Case of Penal Servitude 2 years 5 months ago #79694

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 820
Dave - many thanks for your help - I agree the two words do look like "Thaba 'Nchu", now somebody else has told me that. I think the extract you have posted starts "Discharged" (abbreviated). I have come across another Smethwick man who was "Discharged with ignominy" - he never got anywhere near S Africa, in fact never left GB - I could not make out all his offences but one involved attacking the sentry guarding the canteen. Going back to Joel as he had 18 months remitted he must have been coming near to the end of his sentence at the time of the 1901 census - presumably he was transported back "in irons". A 3 year sentence reduced by half suggests his crime was not too bad - coming back to Smethwick men they had a habit of stealing their colleagues trousers (well two of them did) but that only resulted in a few weeks in clink.

By the way how do you post pics as part of the text? Also how does one access the medal rolls?

David.

A Case of Penal Servitude 2 years 5 months ago #79696

• Dave F
Hello David
When you create your post, use the attachment button to upload your picture or document. Then use the insert button.,this should upload your info between your text or posts. Or you could insert your attachments at the end of your post.

I use Ancestry, Military, for the medal rolls.

Best wishes

Dave
Best regards,
Dave

A Case of Penal Servitude 2 years 5 months ago #79699

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
There was a Joel Foster, died third quarter of 1950, aged 78, and whose death was recorded in the Oldbury registration district. His death certificate can be ordered from the General Register Office.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds