Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sketches of soldiers in the Hull Daily Mail 3 years 3 months ago #74418

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
4055 Private Walter Murphy, 1st Manchester Regiment

....As mentioned in the "Hull Times" on Saturday, a Hull man, Walter Murphey, was among the killed at the Battle of Elanslaagte.
....Murphey was, at the time of his death, 25 years of age, and had been in the Army five years, having enlisted at Hull in 1894 into the 2nd Battalion Manchester Regiment. For the first two years he served at Ashton-under-Lyne, and then proceeded to Darjeeling, India, where he spent nearly three years. He was then drafted to the 1st Battalion at Gibraltar, proceeding from there to the Cape. He was educated at the Thomas Stratton Board School, Londesborough-street, under the mastership of Mr J. Nicholson, and lived in West Parade. His last letter was to his brother, a stoker on H.M.S. Duke of Wellington, ran: -
"Maritzburg, 26th September. ....
...."Dear Harry, ....I have just found time to write you a few lines, hoping you are still in the best of health, as it leaves me at present. We have got to Pietermaritzburg all right. I broke the record this time, Harry. I was not seasick once. We had a splendid voyage all the way. We got off at Cape Town and marched through the town. It's a splendid place - better than India, but everything is dearer. Beer is 6d a pot in the canteen and 8d in the town. We left Cape Town for Durban. We got into a train there, and as we were going up the line the 'Durbans' threw bananas and oranges at us. We didn't scoff them. We expect to leave here at 24 hours' notice. Then we proceed to the frontier. We expect war for certain. We will 'swipe' the Boers off the Army and Navy list, and if any Boer shoots me, I'll haunt him to his dying day. We get all the latest news here, Harry. There are the 5th Irish Lancers, the 60th Rifles, and us, the 'gallant' Manchesters. When Kruger gets to know that we are here, he'll give in at once. When we leave here we get no more beer or money until the campaign is over. All our straps are made brown, haversacks boiled in coffee, and bayonets painted brown. There are going to be 60,000 troops in the field - a nice mob, isn't it? If I have the chance to write you another letter, I will do so. So give my best wishes to Sanderson and White, and all the "Royal Family." You can write back if you like, but I might never get it. I have written to Jenny. - I remain, your loving brother, Walt."

Monday 4th December 1899

26425 Sapper John William Kitson, 42nd Company Royal Engineers

....The above is a portrait of Sapper J. W. Kitson, 42nd Company, Royal Engineers, who is now engaged with Lord Methuen in the relief of Kimberley. He is a son of Mr S. Kitson, 41, Severn-street, Hull, and is a member of a fighting family, who have all the merit of being Hull born. Mr S. Kitson went through the Indian Mutiny, together with his brother, who was wounded twice in the defence of Lucknow. Two of his cousins were killed in the Crimean War. One of them was with the 11th Hussars in the charge of Balaclava, and the other died of wounds sustained in another engagement. His brother-in-law also served his country in the Zulu War.

Friday 8th December 1899
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sketches of soldiers in the Hull Daily Mail 2 years 9 months ago #77176

• BereniceUK
Private Joseph Snow, 2nd Coldstream Guards

A Hull man who went through Belmont, Graspan, Modder River, and Magersfontein.

Thursday, 9th January 1900

Private J. Blowman, No. 3 Company, 1st Coldstream Guards

HULL MAN IN METHUEN'S BATTLES.

Thursday, 9th January 1900
Attachments:

Sketches of soldiers in the Hull Daily Mail 2 years 9 months ago #77189

• BereniceUK
2940 Private W. Armstrong, 9th Lancers

Wounded trying to get assistance for wounded comrades.

Wednesday, 3rd April 1901

24152 Private Gilbert Henry Dove, 66th (Yorkshire) Company Imperial Yeomanry

His Hull address was 10, Finsbury-street, Hull. Possibly born at Hull in 1882.

Tuesday, 5th March 1901
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Sketches of soldiers in the Hull Daily Mail 2 years 5 months ago #79911

• BereniceUK
Private C. Richardson, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers

A Hull man with General Gatacre.

Thursday 11th January 1900

Private F. Martin, 1st Suffolk Regiment

A Hull man with General French.

Thursday 11th January 1900
Attachments:

Sketches of soldiers in the Hull Daily Mail 2 years 5 months ago #79913

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
On his return, Reservist 3181 Private Charles RICHARDSON, 2nd Bn. East Yorkshire Regiment, was presented with a gold-centred silver tribute medal.
The presentation was made on 19 August 1902, at the Marrow Bone & Cleaver, Fetter Lane, Hull.

Hull Daily Mail, 20/08/1902.

SEE: HULL TRIBUTE MEDAL

Sketches of soldiers in the Hull Daily Mail 2 years 5 months ago #79914

• BereniceUK

Neville_C wrote: On his return, Reservist 3181 Private Charles RICHARDSON, 2nd Bn. East Yorkshire Regiment, was presented with a gold-centred silver tribute medal.
The presentation was made on 19 August 1902, at the Marrow Bone & Cleaver, Fetter Lane, Hull.

Hull Daily Mail, 20/08/1902.

Different regiment?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.127 seconds