• Page:

TOPIC:

anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline 4 years 6 months ago #66154

• IanP
  • IanP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to understand a possible anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline.

10 February 1898 he ended his 7 year service with the colours as a lance sergeant.

9 October 1899 he was called up under Special Army Order dated 7 October 1899 from Army Reserve. I think he may have retained his previous rank.
21 October 1899 he was deployed to South Africa - 2nd Boer War
7 December 1899 He was wounded in action at Enslin station
27 April 1900 Promoted to Sergeant in 2nd Battallion of Northamptonshire Regiment
3 July 1901 Injured whilst serving with mounted infantry at Sandbaker, South Africa. He lost his arm due to this injury.
8 October 1901 Returned to England wounded.

I have a photograph of him, as a sergeant taken in Northampton when he clearly had both arms. We have other photos that would indicate this as being taken in 1900.
In the 19 months between Enslin (7 December 1899) and Sandbaker (3 July 1901), would there have been any reason for him to return home. It seems he would have returned as a lance sergeant, get promoted then redeployed. I can't see that happening as they would have needed everyone they could get.

Could he have been bringing POW's out of SA to England? Just guessing here. Would there be records of any such activity or any other reason soldiers would return before the conflict ended?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline 4 years 6 months ago #66169

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
James Mellett, born Haslingden, Lancashire, in 1868?

anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline 4 years 6 months ago #66172

• IanP
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

BereniceUK wrote: James Mellett, born Haslingden, Lancashire, in 1868?

No, James Mellett born Preston Lancs 1875. Do you think you have a link?

anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline 4 years 6 months ago #66174

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
No, I was curious as to where he was born, and if he had family in Preston there might have been mentions of him in the local newspaper. Only one male Mellett or Mallett is showing up in Preston's Birth Registrations in the 1870s, and that was a Michael Mellett, born 1878. The Haslingden Mellett was the best possibility I could find.

anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline 4 years 6 months ago #66187

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Ian

You have obviously read his service papers which clearly show that did not return to the UK in 1900.

It would appear the pictures were not taken in Northampton or were taken prior to 1900.

Can you post the pictures here?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

anomaly in my grandfathers military timeline 4 years 6 months ago #66206

• IanP
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi SWB, here is the time line I have.

10 February 1898 he ended his 7 year service with the colours as a lance sergeant.

9 October 1899 he was called up under Special Army Order dated 7 October 1899 from Army Reserve. I think he may have retained his previous rank of lance sergeant.
21 October 1899 he was deployed to South Africa and would have sailed on either the Armenian or Nubia arriving Cape Town 12 November 1899 (Nubia) or 14th (Armenian). Half the regiment sailed on each.
23 November 1899 fighting at Belmont – bar awarded
7 December 1899 He was wounded in action at Enslin station
27 April 1900 Promoted to Sergeant in 2nd Battalion of Northamptonshire Regiment
** this area is missing **
3 July 1901 Injured whilst serving with mounted infantry at Sandbaker, South Africa. He lost his arm due to this injury.
8 October 1901 Returned to England wounded.

Now, I have not found anything suggesting he returned to England but he must have because of the photo.

It is very doubtful it was taken before deployment. He was still a lance sergeant. He did not get promotion until 6 1/2 months later. Apart from that, think of the time restraints. They deployed within 12 days and would have been up to their necks in preparation.

It was not taken on his return in October 1901 as he had lost an arm.

What I do not have, is anything suggesting where he was after Enslin (7 December 1899) and and Sandbaker (3 July 1901). I have nothing for 1900.

** I believe Sandbaker (not sure of spelling or pronunciation) to be somewhere in the Central Transvaal.

Photo attached.

apologies for the photo quality. Having a problem getting a decent acceptable size
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.664 seconds