Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Died at sea 5 years 10 months ago #59212

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Yes, I would have expected the men to be buried as soon as possible, in the mariners' way. So why make an exception for Perks and Duffy?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Died at sea 5 years 8 months ago #59815

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Died on his way home from the War. - In the list of casualties which appeared in the papers for Saturday, the name of Mr. Frank Mardall was chronicled as having succumbed to enteric fever on the transport ship 'American' whilst conveying invalided soldiers from the seat of war. Deceased was the son of Mr. George Mardall, gardener, Pigot Villas [ Denbigh ]. He joined the 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards about two years ago, and was ordered to the front at the commencement of hostilities. He had taken part in many engagements while serving under Lord Methuen. Much sympathy is felt with the family of the deceased in their sad loss.
The North Wales Times, Saturday 16th June 1900

Died at sea 5 years 8 months ago #59816

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
WO100/196 page 196 has "7628 Pte F.Mardell (note slightly different spelling) was awarded QSA with clasps "Belmont", "Modder River" and "Dreifontein". Roll marginal note has "To England 12.5.00 and Died at Sea".
Regards
IL.

Died at sea 5 years 8 months ago #59817

• BereniceUK
In the local press there were 6 separate references to him as Mardall and just one as Mardell, between 1899-1902. His Queen's Chocolate box was put on display in a Denbigh shop window, again Mardall. A 1902 In Memoriam notice again gives the surname as Mardall and gives his date of death as May 23rd 1900. newspapers.library.wales/view/3770950/3770955/32/

Died at sea 5 years 5 months ago #61111

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone...…

I am working on transcribing the diary and letters that I have received with regards to a medal that I just obtained and I came across this for your information...… This is just the first part of a very long letter.....

S.S. Laurentian
February 16th, 1900

Dear Dad and Mum

Am writing this today with hope of mailing it at Cape Town tomorrow Capt. Expects to arrive about noon thank goodness one gets tired of the sea for twenty eight days we have had a fine trip all through no storms at all but the last couple of days have been blowing quite fresh and sea was choppy she rolled considerable but none of us were sick. The rest of the trip was just like summer the sea like a mill pond I slept out on deck all the way down HaHa am used to hard bed now we just take our blanket and roll it up for a pillow and lay down were ever we can find a space to stretch with the southern cross shining down on you quite romantic as Sue says. We have had the good luck to shear from all disease not one sick with anything. We sighted a steamer the other day she reported (9) men dead and others sick with small pox, she was also bound for the Cape with Volunteers. We have lost quite a number of horses especially at first. etc.......

Mike.....
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Died at sea 5 years 5 months ago #61113

• BereniceUK
Nine?!!! Surprising that that didn't show up in my searches.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds