Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cape Town TG: pics from Creswicke V7. 6 years 1 month ago #57736

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 357
Thank you very much for that information. This must have been produced specifically for the South African market although printed in the UK. This edition is not recorded in Ron Hackett's South African War Books. I am presuming that only volume vii differs from the UK editions. Are the TG plates listed in the list of illustrations on page v. The UK edition page v looks like this:-

Paul
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Town TG: pics from Creswicke V7. 6 years 1 month ago #57755

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Paul
My Creswicke Vol.VII leaf V is the same as yours. No information about the additional pics. Having seen (and owned) both versions of Vol.VII, I formed the opinion that there was a "Colonial" edition of Creswicke's final volume.
Regards
IL.

Cape Town TG: pics from Creswicke V7. 6 years 4 weeks ago #57761

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Evening Everyone......

It has been interesting following this thread......
It took some time for me to I dig out my copies of the Creswicke volumes........
One set has 6 volumes so is missing the 7th that everyone is talking about.....
The second set that I have I purchased from a church jumble sale a couple of years ago because the first set that I had was not in great condition and some of the photos were missing.....
Here is the interesting thing it is a set of Eight volumes........
Both sets seem to have been printed in England but there is no date on either volume 7 or 8......
I have included photos of the Vol. 8 Index and Photo list.......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Cape Town TG: pics from Creswicke V7. 6 years 4 weeks ago #57762

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Mike and others interested
The Vol.VIII of Creswicke's SA&TW is certainly very seldom seen. I have never sighted an example. I did once read that Vol.VIII was intended for the information of people interested in emigrating to SA or Rhodesia. Your contents page might suggest that. Mike, does your Creswicke Vol.VII have the group unit pics; some of which I have illustrated on David's site?
Regards
IL.

Cape Town TG: pics from Creswicke V7. 6 years 3 weeks ago #57769

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 357
Creswicke was published initially as a contemporaneous paper covered 20 part-work akin to With the Flag to Pretoria with cases sold for subsequent binding. All of the first six volumes were sold in this way and also as cased sets in three different bindings in the UK. These first six volumes were completed in 1901. Two further supplementary volumes appeared in 1901 and 1902 in all 3 bindings but were not sold in parts. The preface to volume 8 refers to the current visit of Joseph Chamberlain to South Africa, so between December 1902 and February 1903. This volume is subtitled "South Africa and its Future" and does not cover the War as such. Six, seven, and eight volume sets of the brown and red bindings are fairly common in the UK and none of the volumes can be considered rare.

Paper cover

Khaki binding (most commonly seen)

Red pebbled binding

Blue binding (least commonly seen)

Hackett also lists a Canadian set of 6 published by The Publishers Syndicate (Limited) in Toronto in 1900. I have never seen these and wonder whether they might have added a volume 7 with a Canadian slant analagous to the South African vol 7?

Paul
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.035 seconds