• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: C.W.G.C. Question 12 years 5 months ago #1447

• Dave Naden
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

The CWGC report makes interesting reading. So I thought I would add my "two-penny's worth".

As I understand it, each soldier was buried near to where they died often by members of their own regiment.

The Loyal Women's Guild alias the Guild of Loyal Women in South Africa was a volunteer welfare organisation who amongst other activities, operated a Central Graves Committee, maintaining war graves, records, erecting markers etc. In other words, they appear to have been a fore-runner of the CWGC in SA. The LWG attempted to erect the familiar white painted iron crosses on every soldier's grave financed by voluntary subscriptions. I believe the LWG's records was the main source for Steve Watt's book, In Memoriam.

The LWG also appear to have been involved in the consolidation of military cemeteries in 1905. It appears that many soldiers was exhumed and reburied in cemeteries where their graves could be maintained more easily.

Later, various SA authorities appear to have inheirited the task of maintaining the war graves. During the 1950's and 1960's, many grave markers was removed, painted, and supposedly replaced by the SA Provincial Works Department. I believe the white iron crosses was not always replaced on the correct grave. Over the years, many of these crosses have been stolen for their scrap value, hence, many graves are now "lost".

I believe the UK's Ministry of Defence (and it's previous incarnations) have always been ultimately responsible for the maintenance of the British 2nd Anglo-Boer war graves in SA. After many years of neglect, and possibly prompted by the centenary, the MOD seems to have taken renewed interest in the last few years. The task of maintaining the graves was effectively sub-contracted to the SA branch of the CWGC (Charles Ross). The CWGC embarked on a major renovation project in 2005 funded by the MOD. Many grave plots, cemeteries etc. containing more than 10 graves have been renovated under this scheme (see the CWGC report). I believe this project has been recently completed in September 2011.

I first became aware of the CWGC's involvement when I noticed their Debt of Honour database contained the names of all the Boer war cemeteries in SA. However, cemetery details and the names of those buried have not been entered in the database. I believe the MOD objected to any information being published in the Debt of Honour. I will let you reach your own conclusions as to whether this decision was the "honourable" thing to do.

The CWGC report also mentions plans for the erection of a number of memorials listing the missing, those buried in cemeteries with less than 10 graves etc. Due to the recent UK government funding cuts, the MOD has withdrawn funding, and these memorials will not now be erected. Again, I will leave it to you to reach your own conclusions as to the rights and wrongs of this decision.

Overall, I think the aims of the MOD's - CWGC's project has been very creditable, and we should thank those who initiated the project, and all those involved in it's successful completion.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: C.W.G.C. Question 12 years 5 months ago #1448

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
The maintenance of Boer War (and other) cemeteries and memorials in South Africa has a generally regrettable history. While the recent work done by the CWGC and others is commendable, the future looks far from promising. In the "New" South Africa there is widespread indifference and, sometimes, actual antipathy towards "Colonial" history, so symbols of this era are unlikely to be favourably treated.

Brett

Re: C.W.G.C. Question 12 years 5 months ago #1450

• Dave Naden
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Brett,

Regrettably, I'm sure you are right.

As the UK have been reluctant to maintain the British 2nd Anglo-Boer war graves in SA, it is ridiculous to expect the SA authorities to maintain them, especially given the reasons for the war starting in the first place was very controversial in my opinion - Milner et al.

All the best

Dave

Re: C.W.G.C. Question 12 years 5 months ago #1452

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Brett, Dave and others,
All your comments and observations are right, but avoiding the reality and gravity of the situation. It is the ultimate responsibility of the MOD and the ambassador of the UK govt in SA to endsure that the heritage of British and Colonial veterans who fought and died here for the "Empire" is preserved. Marc told me about a contractor doing work in Klerksdorp but on contacting him I didn't really get any answers.

The Kroonstad Boer war graves are being broken down and destroyed with impunity. I wish I could attach some of my photos taken recently. You'd cry!!

I called and followed up with an email to a kind lady Helen in UK Embassy in Pretoria who assured me that Charles would contact me, that was
26 Oct 2011. To date no response at all.
The indiferrence even extends to Embassy staff .........so who cares, maybe they should be redeployed ??
There is such a hoard of unemployment in the UK you'd think the Embassy could muster some "do good" volunteers in the UK to do some preservation work for Queen & Country? Indifference is contagious. I trust readers of my comments concurr and some great actions will be forthcoming from the authorities who spend the UK & SA :woohoo: tax money. :ohmy:
The concerned FS burgher
Evyn

Re: C.W.G.C. Question 11 years 4 months ago #6867

• Dave Naden
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi,

Having recently visited to South Africa, I thought I would add to my earlier contribution.

It appears the the SA Public Works Department (I think) renovated many cemeteries in SA in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Many cemeteries was "tidied up", i.e. lawned, and central memorials erected naming all those buried in those cemeteries. Only the private and/or regimental memorials was left in situ.

Secondly, the remains of many soldiers in isolated graves was exhumed and re-interred during this same period, or so I believe. I suspect that is the reason why two 3rd KRRC soldiers who died and was probably originally buried on the Twin Peaks now lie in the north-west trench on Spioenkop. Also many soldiers was moved to Kimberley's West End Cemetery about this time. The original cemeteries with their memorials and gravestones throughout the Northern Cape Province still exist, and are often in a good condition, but all the soldier's remains have been removed, and now lie in Kimberley.

Unfortunately, not all the provinces kept good records of these re-interments. As a result, it can be difficult or impossible to find the last resting place of a particular soldier.

Regards

Dave

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.582 seconds