Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Detectives at the Front 3 years 3 months ago #74427

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
An interesting man and an interesting way of wearing his medals! Together with his pair for the Sudan, plus QSA/KSA, plus WW1 trio, plus MSM, plus GV coronation makes nine. Wonder what the other two were?
Interestingly, WO100/165 page 170 shows him as "5441 Private" in 3GG - surname variation on the roll is "EtherAge". Clasps Belmont, Modder River, Dreifontein, Johannesburg and Diamond Hill. Marginal note says "To England, 11/12/00" as well as "Served with HQ staff".
I could not find an entry for him in Palmer - perhaps he was invalided home for recovery?
Best regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Detectives at the Front 3 years 3 months ago #74429

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
I found another piece about him - KIng Edward's Coronation medal?: -

"Sergt.-Major Ernest Etheridge, a Gloucester National Reservist, has just been awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in France. Formerly in the Grenadier Guards, Sergt.-Major Etheridge is in possession of Queen Victoria's Khartoum medal and clasps, and the Khedive medal and bar, Queen Victoria's and King Edward's medals and 7 bars for the South African Campaign, and King Edward's Coronation medal while serving in the Metropolitan Police Force. Sergt.-Major Etheridge was one of the nine Gloucester National Reservists who attended the Coronation of King George. His comrades of the Gloucester National Reserve and his fellow citizens will heartily congratulate him on this further distinction."

Gloucester Journal, Saturday 30th March 1918

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds