Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rarity of QSA's issued to Regiments 9 years 10 months ago #20800

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Morning Meurig,

I guess I was little niave with my quest for "a definite list" :oops:
It seems like a huge undertaking, Mike has kindly mailed me some very useful lists that are very helpful (thanks Mike)

Paul :)

SWB wrote: Hello Paul

Good question and when The Register is complete then I will have all the info to hand to produce such a list. Mike's post on his Irish Guards QSA which then quoted numbers for 4th Hussars QSAs issued got me thinking on this - a definitive list will not be easy.

For instance - with the cavalry for which a QSA list has been published By Kevin Asplin, a number of men from all regiments served with the Remounts and are only on the Remounts roll. Therefore, numbers taken from Kevin's work will be adjusted upwards when all the Remount roll pages have been databased.

For example WO100/234pp64-68 contains approximately 90 names of 4th Hussars soldiers who served with No 2 Remount Depot. On the regimental roll of WO100/114 Mike quoted 44 names - some of these will be on the Remount roll, but this leaves about 46 names not on the regimental. Some of these men served with other units - so could be on that regiment's roll (but named to 4th Hussars maybe).

The point of all this is that I reckon the number of 4th Hussar QSA named medals is significantly greater than 44. From what I have seen (and it is a slim sample admittedly) regular soldiers who served with Remounts had their medals named to their regiment.

Regards
Meurig

coldstream wrote: Thanks Mike,

I just wondered it someone had published a definitive list, maybe one day it might happen.

Cheers

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Paul.....

Most of the information I have found is by keeping my eyes open and reading a lot of articles published in many many different locations.....

I was sent one time many years ago a list of all units which I have found out was wrong in a number cases and have been put right by fellow collectors....

Some numbers have been published for example the Cavalry Lists of Kevin Asplin and also other people who have specialized and collected to different units and published.....

Most of all and it has only been since the invention of the internet forums like this one, so Thank you David......

Mike

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rarity of QSA's issued to Regiments 9 years 10 months ago #20801

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Brett,

A good point made, I have found the same with some of my S.A. Colonials.

Brett Hendey wrote: When it comes to South African Colonials and the irregular units raised in South Africa, the situation is a nightmare. Enthusiastic soldiers changed their units more than once, and, as far I can judge, there was no consistent way of naming their medals (e.g. to the unit they first or last served in). For example, I have a QSA to a man who served successively in the East Griqualand Mounted Rifles, Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, Imperial Light Horse, and East Griqualand Mounted Rifles. His medal is named to the ILH.

Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Rarity of QSA's issued to Regiments 9 years 10 months ago #20816

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Mike - I've only recorded 6 QSAs to 4th Hussars for sale

QSAMIKE wrote:
Unless someone sat down and counted every name and checked that there was no duplication I don't think that there would be an accurate list.....

Mike

..exactly what The Register is doing. But, there will be exceptions and as Brett as said for Colonials it is an impossible task.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Rarity of QSA's issued to Regiments 9 years 10 months ago #20817

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello Paul

No shame in the quest for the most accurate answer - the best thing about history is that can always be improved. Every roll I've consulted contains errors, inaccuracies and room for improvement - no criticism of the compiler. Now every researcher has more resources to hand and better ways to search and record than ever before.

Regards
Meurig

coldstream wrote: Morning Meurig,

I guess I was little niave with my quest for "a definite list" :oops:
It seems like a huge undertaking, Mike has kindly mailed me some very useful lists that are very helpful (thanks Mike)

Good question and when The Register is complete then I will have all the info to hand to produce such a list. Mike's post on his Irish Guards QSA which then quoted numbers for 4th Hussars QSAs issued got me thinking on this - a definitive list will not be easy.

For instance - with the cavalry for which a QSA list has been published By Kevin Asplin, a number of men from all regiments served with the Remounts and are only on the Remounts roll. Therefore, numbers taken from Kevin's work will be adjusted upwards when all the Remount roll pages have been databased.

For example WO100/234pp64-68 contains approximately 90 names of 4th Hussars soldiers who served with No 2 Remount Depot. On the regimental roll of WO100/114 Mike quoted 44 names - some of these will be on the Remount roll, but this leaves about 46 names not on the regimental. Some of these men served with other units - so could be on that regiment's roll (but named to 4th Hussars maybe).

The point of all this is that I reckon the number of 4th Hussar QSA named medals is significantly greater than 44. From what I have seen (and it is a slim sample admittedly) regular soldiers who served with Remounts had their medals named to their regiment.

Regards
Meurig

coldstream wrote: Thanks Mike,

I just wondered it someone had published a definitive list, maybe one day it might happen.

Cheers

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Paul.....

Most of the information I have found is by keeping my eyes open and reading a lot of articles published in many many different locations.....

I was sent one time many years ago a list of all units which I have found out was wrong in a number cases and have been put right by fellow collectors....

Some numbers have been published for example the Cavalry Lists of Kevin Asplin and also other people who have specialized and collected to different units and published.....

Most of all and it has only been since the invention of the internet forums like this one, so Thank you David......

Mike

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Rarity of QSA's issued to Regiments 9 years 10 months ago #20818

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Afternoon Meurig.....

I guess that I will have to be very very lucky to find one then.....

Mike

SWB wrote: Hello Mike - I've only recorded 6 QSAs to 4th Hussars for sale

Meurig

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Rarity of QSA's issued to Regiments 9 years 10 months ago #20819

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Paul.....

It is thanks to Meurig that the list of South African units is up to date.....

Mike

No shame in the quest for the most accurate answer - the best thing about history is that can always be improved. Every roll I've consulted contains errors, inaccuracies and room for improvement - no criticism of the compiler. Now every researcher has more resources to hand and better ways to search and record than ever before.

Regards
Meurig

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.638 seconds