Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Transport ships 10 years 3 months ago #16925

• jwnicholson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
This is the only full exterior shot of the Winifredian I have. The others are from onboard. Unfortunately her number does not show up on this picture. I hope this helps.
John

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transport ships 10 years 1 month ago #18870

• gendancer
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
From the Digest of Service or the 62nd Battery (Ref Laws No. 132), held at the Royal Artillery Museum.

The 62nd battery embarked on SS Zayathla with half of the 75th battery whilst the other half of the 75th battery and the 18th battery embarked on SS Zibengla at Birkenhead on 25th Sep 1899.

The SS Zayathla left Birkenhead at 11.00pm on 27th Sep and had to call in at Queenstown, Ireland and Las Palmas for repairs to machinery before, after 4 weeks, arriving at Cape Town on 25 Oct.

SS Zayathla was oriiginally named SS Ruapeho built in 1883 by John Elder & Co., Govan was of 4163 gross tons and nearly 400ft in length with a 2 cylinder steam engine, It was aquired by the British India SN Co. Ltd in July 1899 and renamed Zayathla on 14th Sep 1899. A picture of the vessel is attached

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Transport ships 10 years 4 weeks ago #18934

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
And a fabulous picture too! Many thanks.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: gendancer

Transport ships 4 years 1 month ago #68387

• Sharpshooter
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I realise that this is an old forum topic but I'm writing a history of the Kent and Sharpshooters Yeomanry and was wondering if you had an image of the St Andrew? A google search does not turn up very much in terms of an image or indeed a ships history. I have managed to find the Hawarden Castle, Cymric, Galeka , Avondale Castle (the regimental history says the 21st Bn went out on the Arundel (assume Castle) ) on March 14th 1901 but she did not sail then whilst the Avondale did. I have however not managed to find the SS Salamis which took the 1st(18th) draft out together with the 23rd Bn IY or the St Andrew which brought the 21st plus the remains of the 23rd. Might you be able to help?

Transport ships 3 years 8 months ago #71257

• Kathy re Coppock
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,

I've been researching the S.S. Salamis, because my grandfather was in the 23rd (Sharpshooters) Battalion (3rd Imperial Yeomanry).

Here are some links: Aberdeen Ships
Trove
The Ship (Shaun McGuire) Do please ask Shaun's permission if you want to use any of the images, especially that from George Morgan's effects.

She sailed from Royal Albert Docks, London, on 28th March 1901, arriving South Africa 29th March 1901.

Transport ships 3 years 6 months ago #72357

• Redcap0006
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Researching family, I have discovered the SS Norseman sailed out of Liverpool 10 Feb 1900 called to Queenstown 13/14 Feb to pick up A Squadron 8th Hussars. Ship number 80. Photo anyone PLEASE. Thanks in advance
Stay Safe
Gary

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.583 seconds