• Page:

TOPIC:

Researching a Royal Engineer 10 years 6 months ago #15029

• cleduc
  • cleduc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
According to my sister, my mother has at least one of his medals. There's some confusion because my mother also possesses my father's and other family members medals. My sister will check if it's the South Africa medal. It's going to take time because my mother is in a home and the medals are a safety deposit box at a bank. My mother had two brothers and a sister and their families may have this South Africa medal but my sister feels my mother posses it.

From his attestation and service records:

First Name: Walter
Last name: Pearce
He never had any middle initial or middle name on any document related to him I have ever seen. Among those other records, I have seen are: his death certificate, marriage certificate, Canadian military records and a number of his census records.

That's been a problem because there are more than one Walter Pearce born during that time and from the area he was born.

However, I'm positive it's him. His Canadian military records are extensive, in part, because of his wounds and they tie to where he lived with my mother. I matched the following from his Royal Engineers attestation with his Canadian and other records:
-Physical description: height, weight, color of hair & eyes
-Handwriting and signatures on the forms
-Name and address of his father (& address for himself)
-Date of wedding, location, Church, spouse's name and maiden name, brother's name, brother-in-law's name
-Religion and trade
-date and place of birth
-Canadian attestation mentions 12 years with Royal Engineers and service in South Africa

And I found no discrepancies in information between the two forms. His attestation with the Royal Fusiliers militia also lined up with those two forms. Again, from the above, I have no doubt this is the correct record for my grandfather.

Royal Engineers Number: 3743
That is the number recorded when you look him up on the computer records.
The only number in question might be the 7 from the written records. The 3s and 4s are definite. The 7 almost looks like a Y and it looks that way more than once - it was the style of the person who wrote it. Because there are fours, nines and ones on the document and no other sevens, and those other fours, nines and ones don't look anything like the "seven", I strongly suspect the seven is correct.

Dated Nov 22, 1899
Corps in which he served: R.E.
Battalion or Depot: (empty)
Promotion (etc): Attested (Joined at London)
Rank: looks like a "D" with double quotes after it (maybe for driver? I'm not sure)

Then there's an entry with no Corp or Battalion that says stamped "TRANSFERRED TO ARMY RESERVE" with a date stamp 20 NOV 1903 and a hand written Rank "D"

Dated Nov 21, 1903
Corps in which he served: 1st Class A.R.R.E.
Battalion or Depot: Sec B.
Rank: (same, again): looks like a "D" with double quotes after it

The last entry doesn't have any Corps or Battalion noted. It's dated 21 Nov 1911. Under promotions (etc) it looks like "Discharged as " and then beside it, hand written rank looks like "Driver". On the next line, "termination of 1st period of engagt" and is signed of by captain of R.E. Records

Military History Sheet says:
Home from 22-11-99 to 15-11-01
South Africa 16-11-01 to 19-11-03
Home 20-11-03 to 21-11-11

He listed his trade as "Plumber". He was also a pipe fitter (but that was not noted in those records). My sister said that she found him in the 1901 census, not living with his family (with the army), and his occupation listed was something like driver.

Hopefully, that helps. It may take weeks or months before I'll get to see and confirm what's on that medal (and if we posses the South African service medal).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researching a Royal Engineer 10 years 6 months ago #15039

• cleduc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks to this link on this wonderful site:
www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/9...-medal-roll-index#RE
I found him in the South Africa medal roll.

WO100/158 Royal Engineers
38, 39, 42, 45 - 47, 54 and 55 Field Companies

It provides his rank as "Driver"

It has him under the 47th Company but notes "From 42nd Co 1-4-02"

So how might I find out what the 42nd Company (Fortress I believe) did between Nov 1901 and April 1902 and what the 47th did after that until Nov 1903? Would I try to trace their officers and see if they wrote reports?

Researching a Royal Engineer 10 years 6 months ago #15061

• cleduc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I found a little more on him. In Mar 1901, he was on the census as a patient in the Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot. It might explain why he didn't ship over to South Africa until Nov '01.

Some quick questions:

Might there be any hospital records from that time that might have anything on him?

From the photo at this link:
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ers?showall=&start=1
Heading says "Inspection of the 47th Co"
Article says "42nd (Fortress) Company Inspection. This company, of whose inspection at Malta we give a picture,"
(my grandfather was in both companies, first the 42nd and then the 47th)

Do we know which is correct (42nd or 47th)? And do we know when that inspection in Malta took place?

Would the Royal Engineers reserve be likely to attend the unveiling of the Royal Engineers South African Memorial Arch, Old Brompton, Kent in July 1905?

Researching a Royal Engineer 10 years 6 months ago #15082

• cleduc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I'm a little stymied. I'm also determined.

I'm evaluating hiring a private researcher listed by the museum,
www.re-museum.co.uk/u/pages/Researchers.doc.pdf
or a student at the Royal School of Military Engineering or a student from Midkent college down the road from the museum.

The Royal Engineers Museum says:
www.re-museum.co.uk/research/resources_h...library_and_archive/
"The Corps were heavily involved in early photography, and the collections cover the work of the Corps, from official photographs taken in the field by photographers such as Fenton in the Crimea to current operations, and personal photograph albums of Sappers posted around the world."

Anyone here interested? Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Researching a Royal Engineer 10 years 6 months ago #15086

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
I have a nice group, yet to be researched, for Corp F S Brooke 23rd Field Co RE, so anything that comes up for them would be good. It has the Talana bar, so quite rare.

Doug Jenkins
Attachments:

Researching a Royal Engineer 10 years 5 months ago #15209

• cleduc
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

cleduc wrote: I found a little more on him. In Mar 1901, he was on the census as a patient in the Cambridge Military Hospital in Aldershot. It might explain why he didn't ship over to South Africa until Nov '01.

Some quick questions:

Might there be any hospital records from that time that might have anything on him?

FYI, according to the quote from the researcher we're hiring, she says that there are no hospital records she knows of. If it isn't noted in his personal records, then we won't know.

cleduc wrote: From the photo at this link:
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ers?showall=&start=1
Heading says "Inspection of the 47th Co"
Article says "42nd (Fortress) Company Inspection. This company, of whose inspection at Malta we give a picture,"
(my grandfather was in both companies, first the 42nd and then the 47th)

Do we know which is correct (42nd or 47th)? And do we know when that inspection in Malta took place?

According to this site focused on the military in Malta,
maltaramc.com/regmltgar/royalen.html#1899
the picture must be of the 42nd as the 47th wasn't in Malta ever according to the research on that site.

As for the c1900 date:
"42 Coy Arrived Dec 1891. Left for South Africa 10 Oct 1899." so it had to be before 10 Oct 1899.

They back that up with copies of "WO 379/11 Movements of Regts 1859-1900."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds