Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

From Trooper to Captain - South African Light Horse 11 years 5 months ago #6483

• munroe
  • munroe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 48
Dear All

I was wondering how many men joined a unit during the boer war as a Trooper/Private and went all the way up to the rank of Captain.

Captain WF Barker DSO, South African Light Horse, enrolled as a trooper and ended the war a Captain and adjutant of the SALH.

He was also mentioned in dispatches 4 times and awarded the DSO.

I wonder how many others managed to do this during the war. I dont think it was possible to be commissioned from the ranks in a regular British unit during this time?

Munroe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: From Trooper to Captain - South African Light Horse 11 years 5 months ago #6550

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi Munroe,

It was very rare in the regular British Army but not completely unknown. Two of the best examples are Major General Hector "Fighting Mac" Macdonald KCB, DSO, who started him his Army career as a Private in the Gordon Highlanders and ended it committing suicide in Paris in 1903, and and Field Marshal Sir William "Wully" Robertson GCB GCMG GCVO DSO whose autobiography is aptly titled 'From Private to Field Marshal'.

In the South African Mounted Irregular Forces it wasn't that uncommon, especially as the war dragged on. Baron von Steinaecker even made it to Lieutenant Colonel commanding his own regiment having started the war as a Trooper in the Colonial Scouts.

Best wishes,

Justin

Re: From Trooper to Captain - South African Light Horse 11 years 5 months ago #6551

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello Munroe and Justin.....

Here is something from the book "Knowing No Fear"..... (See #3 Private to Brigadier and #4 Lieutenant Colonel to Private)

SOME FAMOUS MEMBERS OF CANADIAN SCOUTS WHO WENT ON TO GREATER THINGS:

1) Captain H. Trenchard became Marshal of the Royal Air Force (RAF) Sir Hugh Trenchard, 1st Viscount Trenchard GCB, GCMG, GCVO.
2) Capt. J. R. Longley became Major-General Sir John Raynsford Longley, KCMG, CB.
3) Private E. Hilliman, 17th Lancers, Constable North West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.), Corporal C.M.R., Captain Canadian Scouts, retired as Brigadier General Edward Hilliam CMG, CB, DSO and Bar, MiD x 6, Legion of Honour and Croix de Guerre.
4) One member rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel in the Canadian Mounted Rifles in WW1 was court martialed due to problems with alcohol, re-enlisted under an assumed name as a private in the R.C.A. rose to rank of Battery Sergeant Major and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and the Military Medal (MM).

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: From Trooper to Captain - South African Light Horse 11 years 5 months ago #6552

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Munroe

From The Register I have recorded 98 examples of men going from Trooper/Private to Captain or Major.

All of these men were in non-regular units like the SALH, so Barker's career is not uncommon.

As Justin points out for the regular army it was rare. Although a number of men from the IY and colonial units were awarded commissions in the regular army but most did not progress beyong Lieutenant during the ABW.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: From Trooper to Captain - South African Light Horse 11 years 5 months ago #6608

• munroe
  • munroe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 48
Hi

I have seen "colonials" getting a commission in a regular unit but as said they did not get past the rank of Lt. in the ABW.

Barker is interesting because he went from Trooper to Captain in the same unit. He was awarded the DSO for the boer war, then in 1906 he commanded the Transvaal Mounted rifles in the Zulu Rebellion, winning the CMG for this. Then in WW1 he was a Lt Col in the Worc Regt. Not as good as going on to be a general like others but not a bad career. I am not sure what he did in WW1, but his services in the Zulu Rebellion in 1906 are well written up.

His wife had won the RRC in India prior to the Boer war. Maybe this spurred him on to win a decoration.....

Munroe

Re: From Trooper to Captain - South African Light Horse 5 years 5 months ago #61189

• Adbarrum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Munroe,

Do you know of any information on W.F.Barker's earlier army career prior to the Boer War? Was he in India with his wife? I find it fascinating the distances Barker and his ilk covered throughout their military careers.

Do you know who his wife was or what she did to win the RRC?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Scott

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.911 seconds