Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some Questions 8 months 1 week ago #91794

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 836
26TH BATTALION OF THE IMPERIAL YEOMANRY, known as YOUNGHUSBAND’S HORSE and YOUNGHUSBAND’S VETERANS

This battalion was raised late in 1901 in response for the War Office’s call for 2,000 more Imperial Yeomen to form the third wave.

Lt-Colonel George John Younghusband C.B., was put in command – he had formerly commanded the 3rd Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry. In December 1901 several newspapers carried articles about the formation of this new battalion, stating the aim was to re-recruit Imperial Yeomen who had already served in South Africa and wanted to become involved again, and they appear to have created the nickname Younghusband’s Veterans which stuck.100 men had already been recruited and the aim was 400 who would be split into four companies (119th, 120th, 121st & 122nd). It was intended to allot the men to the four companies on a geographical basis but whether this actually happened is not apparent.

The battalion was located at Shorncliffe Barracks but men could apply for membership through their local recruiting stations. By 7th February 1902 they had almost reached the 400 target and Lord Roberts came to inspect them and send them on their way. It was reported:

They presented a magnificent appearance, each man wearing at least one medal ribbon.

They embarked on the Roslin Castle at Southampton the following day and reached South Africa on the last day of the month. 4136 Trooper Walter Burden formerly of the 30th (Pembrokeshire) Company, 9th (Welsh) Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry was amongst their number – a Veteran at 23 years of age!

A newspaper article dated 19th March 1902 mentioned:

Col Younghusband’s corps of Veterans has taken the field in the Sutherland District.

On 24th April 1902 it was reported:

At Kalkfontein, Cape Colony on the 19th, Lieut H Gouldie and three men of the 26th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry were wounded, while four men are missing.

A letter home from a member of a Mounted Infantry Company, who were also involved in the action, had this to say:

On the 19th April, at 11 a.m., we were attacked by the Boers at Kalkfontein and were in action until 4 p.m. One officer and four men were wounded. The officer of the Imperial Yeomanry mistook the enemy for his men, as they were dressed exactly the same, and when he got within 20 yards of them they shouted, ‘Hands up!’ but he refused, and was shot through the jaw. The enemy must have lost heavily, as the shell from our 15-pounder burst in the centre of them. When the thickest of the firing was going on, I was making tea for the officers, so you may guess what sort of sensation I felt. This was the worst we have had, and I can assure you, I would rather be partridge shooting any time.

Colonel Younghusband was invalided home late May 1902 having been wounded at some stage but no details of the incident are apparent. He was mentioned in dispatches in June 1902.

Trooper Burden was discharged from the Battalion at his own request on 18th July 1902 in Elandsfontein to pursue a career in hairdressing.

On Friday 29th August 1902 the following article appeared in the Liverpool Daily Post:

RETURN OF A LOCAL YEOMAN

Amongst the Yeomanry who arrived at Southampton on Wednesday in the Braemer Castle was Corporal Ernest Hind of Younghusband’s Horse. This was a corps of veterans raised by Colonel Younghusband at the request of Lord Roberts, and was reviewed by him in January last. Each man enlisted had, of course, already seen service in South Africa. On arrival at Cape Town they were at once ordered to the front in the Sutherland district, at that time a hotbed of rebellion. They saw a good deal of fighting. They were ambushed on one occasion, when Corporal Hind had the unpleasant experience of looking down the barrel of a Boer rifle at a distance of five yards, and heard the cry “Hands up!” when a comrade behind shot the enemy dead. They were fortunate to be in at the death, being in the last drive against Malan, when that General was rushed on the blockhouses and wounded and captured four days before peace was declared. When Corporal Hind was first in South Africa, with the Denbighshire Hussars, in 1900-1, he wrote several interesting letters, which appeared in our columns.

It is of interest to note that Ernest & Walter had both served in the 9th Battalion IY followed by the 26th.

The 26th Battalion was disbanded on 30th August 1902. Colonel Younghusband went on to serve in the Great War and once again was invalided home wounded before being retired in 1919. He spent his last two years in the army as Keeper of the Jewel House at the Tower of London. He has a Wikipedia page from which I have taken the photo below.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some Questions 8 months 5 days ago #91861

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 836
My original claim of only 2 of the first contingent of the Pembrokeshire Imperial Yeomanry (part of 9th Battalion IY) returning to SA as members of another IY Company was incorrect as I overlooked the Goss brothers. Both returned to serve in the 116th Company 25th Battalion. Further investigation of this battalion indicates all circa 400 of them were returnees so it is surprising why they were not also nicknamed Veteran's. They were also raised at Shorncliffe but recruited from across the country. It was decided the 115th & 117th Companies would depart first but when they received their final inspection parade it was realised they were 6 men short. So the 116th were called on parade and six men selected - one of them refused grumbling he was not going until he had been paid his arrears - he was arrested and appears to have embarked at Southampton under duress.

As the IY battalions seem to go up to the 39th I wondered if all those subsequent to the 25th were returnees. It would appear not as this January 1902 recruitment notice for Fincastle's Horse/31st Battalion IY shows, when joining the third contingent was promoted as an opportunity for young men to start a new life in SA but returnees were also acceptable.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds