Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Photograph Album 8 months 1 week ago #91725

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
Hi Rob,
I thought that you'd know about this. So, they are often not what they seem. Still, they are interesting photographs. Do you know if the photographers you mentioned ever published a book containing a collection of their work?

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Photograph Album 8 months 1 week ago #91742

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2003
Ian,

Here are some of the images included in the second album.
These were all sold by prolific photographer John Ernest Middlebrook of Durban. Not all, however were taken by him. The Mafeking image, for instance, was captured by Boer photographer van Hoepen.

Middlebrook had a numbering system for his ABW photographs, all references having the prefix "Q". The range of the examples below (Q.9 - Q.614) gives an idea of the staggering number of images he churned out. These prints continued to be sold long after the end of hostilities.

According to Geni.com, Middlebrook lived from 21/02/1863 to 06/04/1943. He was born in Durban and died in Christchurch, New Zealand.

"Q.198 Copyright / Boer spies arrested in and near Chieveley Camp - Boer War 1899 / J.E.M., Photo"

"Boren Fort Te Mafeking / Van Hoepen Pretoria" "Q.614 Copyright Middlebrook, Durban / Boer Forts at Mafeking"

"Q.583 / Boers in the trenches at Spion Kop / Copyright Middlebrook, Durban" (clearly not taken at Spion Kop)

Q.9 (Copyright) / The IX Lancers in Durban Harbour who lost 70 horses in a storm / J.E.M., Photo"

"Q.299 (Copyright) / Mr Winston Churchill after his escape from the Boers revisits the scene of his heroism - the Armoured Train Disaster - Boer War 1899-1900 / J.E.M., Photo"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900

Photograph Album 8 months 1 week ago #91743

• Ians1900
  • Ians1900's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 194
Thank you Neville,

I never realised the extent of these commercially available images, but am now starting to recognise more and more of them as I come across them.

Ian

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.743 seconds