Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private 3444 Roland Pugh - I.H.L.???? 2 years 1 month ago #82297

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 820
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private 3444 Roland Pugh - I.H.L.???? 2 years 1 month ago #82298

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
“Imprisonment. Hard Labour. “

Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Private 3444 Roland Pugh - I.H.L.???? 2 years 1 month ago #82299

• Smethwick
Thanks Pete - and there was me thinking he had won a prize! :oops:

He enlisted 1891 and was awarded first GC pay 3 years later and second 3 years after that. Wonder what he did? At least they let him keep his medals which included one for the Dongola Expedition of 1896. He received the "Paardeberg" clasp to his QSA. Smethwick seems to have been fairly well represented at Paardeberg including one who was awarded the DCM there but that is a post in preparation.

David (Smethwick)

Private 3444 Roland Pugh - I.H.L.???? 2 years 1 month ago #82301

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
“Wonder what he did?”

No record of a court-martial in Court Martial Registers on Fold 3 / Ancestry for 3444 Pugh

Pete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Private 3444 Roland Pugh - I.H.L.???? 1 year 11 months ago #83111

• Smethwick
Since Pete (Volunteer) interpreted “IHL” for me I must admit I have come across it several times on the service records of “my” 207 Smethwickians. I wondered at the time about the reason for Roland’s IHL as none was given on his service record. In the other Smethwickian cases a reason is usually indicated. Having now put together the complete life history of Roland I think I might have a reason, albeit speculative.

Roland’s birth was registered in Smethwick in the first quarter of 1875. The 1881 census shows the family living at 6 Feeder Street, Smethwick and Roland’s age is given as 6.

On 20th August 1891 Roland attested in neighbouring Oldbury and gave his age as 18 years 11 months, the preceding information shows he could have been no older than 16 years 9 months at the time. He was about average height for the time at 5 ft 6¼ inches and weighed in 9 stone 6lbs and so got away with it. At the time the family were living at 18 Stone Street, Smethwick.

He was assigned to the North Staffordshire Regiment and after basic training joined the 2nd Battalion. In March 1893 he was transferred to the 1st Battalion and sent overseas to Malta. Two and a half years later the 1st Battalion moved on to Egypt where they took part in the 1896 Dongola Expedition.

In November 1897 the 1st Battalion returned to England and in August 1898 Roland was transferred back to the 2nd Battalion before being discharged to the Army Reserve on the 20th, having completed his contracted 7 years of active service. During the 7 years he had earned two Good Conduct Badges with the attached increase in pay but, had remained a Private.

He spent the next 16 months in Smethwick probably working for the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company in Middlemore Road, Smethwick. Also during this time he almost certainly became acquainted with Smethwick born and raised Sarah Jane Pemberton, four years his junior. On the 18th December 1899 he was recalled to active service.

Roland embarked for South Africa on 15th January 1900 and the following month fought in the Battle of Paaderberg. The 1901 census shows that in August 1900 unmarried Sarah Jane Pemberton gave birth to a boy and named him Roland and appears to have been rejected by her family as she was living in lodgings in Brasshouse Lane, Smethwick. In October 1900, Roland committed his offence that led to him serving 14 days IHL. So, when news of Sarah Jane’s predicament reached Roland did he request home leave so he could do the right thing? When this was refused was he imprisoned to allow him to “cool down” before he did something stupid?

Roland returned to England on 12th September 1902 and during the last quarter of 1902 the marriage of Roland Pugh and Sarah Jane Pemberton was registered in Smethwick.

I would like to be able to report that Roland and Sarah Jane had a long and happy marriage but the death of Roland was registered in Smethwick during the second quarter of 1905. On the registration form his age is given as 30 which conforms with his being 16 rather than 18 when he attested.

The following article also appeared in the Smethwick Telephone of 15th July 1905:

WORTHY OF SUPPORT

A cricket match will be held at the Smethwick Cricket club Grounds on Saturday, august 5th, having for its object the assistance of the widow and three children of the late Roland Pugh. This is a most deserving case, and is receiving the hearty support of the officials and workmen of the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon company, by which firm the deceased was employed. The late Roland Pugh was a private in the North Staffordshire Regiment, having served a for a period of 12 years, during which time he was on foreign service for over seven years. He held an exemplary character, and was the recipient of the following medals and clasps: Khedive’s and Queen’s Soudan Medals, 1896, Clasp “Hafir”; Queen’s South Africa medal, Clasps “Paaderberg”, “Cape Colony”, and “Transvaal”; King’s Medal, Clasps 1901-1902.

The match should be a fairly interesting one, the teams being selected by Mr C Wheeler from West Smethwick, and by Mr C Hobbs from the Smethwick Carriage Works. The committee are greatly indebted to the Smethwick Cricket Club for their generosity in placing the ground at their disposal.

The 1911 Census shows Sarah Jane was reconciled with her parents and living with them at 59 Lewisham Road, Smethwick. She was contributing to the household income by doing “washing at home”. The sad part is that only two of her children are listed alongside her – one is her oldest, Roland who is given the surname of Pemberton rather than Pugh.

As far as I can make out Sarah Jane never married again and at the time of the 1939 Register was lodging in Oldbury and doing “laundry work”. I think she died in 1954 by when she would have been 76 years of age.

As reported previously Roland fought in the Battle of Paaderberg, as evidenced by one of the three clasps to his QSA. However, the 2nd North Staffs are not listed amongst the combatants. There is no doubt that Roland sailed out with the full battalion. When I found his medal roll he stood out as the only one on the page who had received the Paaderberg clasp. Going through the whole medal roll for the 2nd North Staffs I can find only 53 who received the Paaderberg clasp, including 3 officers. My assumption is that either on the voyage over or on arrival half a Company of the 2nd North Staffs were seconded to another Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Private 3444 Roland Pugh - I.H.L.???? 1 year 11 months ago #83112

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
What a fascinating glimpse into the difficult lives of Roland and Sarah Pugh.

When people decry the Empire as an era of shameful exploitation, looting and enrichment, I wonder if they are aware of any details of life in Britain.

Can I ask, how did Roland die, and was it by his own hand?
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.840 seconds