Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Haberdasher's Aske's Boys' School South African War Memorial 2 years 1 month ago #81831

• Moranthorse1
  • Moranthorse1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 755
I have no image to show you this memorial due to download copyright issues, but it may be viewed online at Lewisham War Memorials webpage.

ORDNANCE SURVEY GRID REFERENCE: TQ360 760.

The memorial is in the form of a bronze tablet and bears the following inscription:

"SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 2899-1902 LIST OF OLD ASKEANS WHO VOLUNTEERED FOR SERVICE IN THE ABOVE CAMPAIGN."

The memorial was unveiled during the first world war on 11th November 1915 by the Reverend E. Pope during part of Prize Day.

Beneath the main inscription we find the list of names of the men who volunteered, including one fatality. The rest of the men having survived the Boer War.
I recently acquired a QSA to one of the men thereon, and once I had made my initial tentative research, found that it would be a good and worthwhile project to study the other men named and to report on the forum.

In alphabetical order, as listed on the table:

6893 HARRY FREDERICK ATTREE: KING'S ROYAL RIFLE CORPS.
Born in Hammersmith, London, Harry was a Warehouseman and 24 years and 11 months old on his attestation day 17th February 1900 at Blackheath, London.
He was 5' 6 1/2" height, 127 lbs weight, with a chest range of 34" minimum and 35" maximum. He was of fair complexion, light brown eyes, fair haired and Church of England by religious denomination.
Harry's total service was 1year and 74 days by the time he was discharged at his own request, his service being no longer required.
His QSA bore the clasps Cape Colony and Wittebergen.
Next of kin was his father; H.R.Attree, 11 St. Margaret's Road, Brockley.

37755 PAY SERGEANT EDWARD MARTIN BANNISTER: FRENCH'S SCOUTS.

Edward was born in 1874 at Forest Gate, in the district of Deptford St. Paul's, Essex.
He enlisted into French's Scouts on 8th December 1899 at the age of 24. He also served with the Field Intelligence Department in the rank of Guide.
At the time of his enlistment he was recorded as being 5' 7" tall, 140 lbs in weight, fair complexion, blue eyed and with a fresh complexion.
His QSA named to French's Scouts bears the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal. The medal must have been cherished as it really is in fine condition. Please see the above images.
His KSA named to the F.I.D. carries both date clasps (I do not have this medal, hoping for a reunite one day!).
The 1881 Census of Britain, finds Edward living at 77 Trywhitt Street, Forest Gate, Essex with his parents James and Elizabeth. He had five siblings Elizabeth (18), James(17), Margaret (14), Ada(10), and Maud(7).
The Bannister family were certainly middle class as they employed Ann Hill)19) and Mary Webb(15) as servants.
Edward saw further military service during World War One as 2615 Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery and later as 251567 Royal Engineers.

1102 PRIVATE F.R.CRIPPS: 12 MIDDLESEX RIFLES AND CITY OF LONDON IMPERIAL VOLUNTEERS.
I believe that there are no extant attestation papers for the men of the C.I.V. , therefore information on this man and other Old Askeans who also served in South Africa with the unit is very scant indeed!
His QSA bore the clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Johannesburg.

28637 AR QMS W.B.BRADSHAW: 50TH COMPANY IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
The only source of information that is to hand is sourced from the medal rolls as follows:
WO100/127 "These men were sent away from the regiment inefficient-EJU"
Further at the bottom of the document: "The above mentioned are to have medals and clasps. Decision 25/07/02."
Bradshaw was discharged on 23th November 1901.
There was obviously some contention as to whether he was to receive his QSA. As we see this,at least, had a positive outcome with him receiving the QSA with clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal and South Africa 1901.

1487 PRIVATE W. BROOKES-BALL: BRITISH SOUTH AFRICA POLICE.
Brookes-Ball served in the Bulawayo Division of BSAP and was dangerously wounded on 5th January 1902 near Vryburg. He obviously survived his wounds and transferred to S.A.M.I.F. on 6th August 1902.
His QSA has the clasps, Cape Colony and Transvaal. Also entitled to both date clasps and possibly the KSA.

320 SERGEANT C. CONNEW: 13 MIDDLESEX RIFLE VOLUNTEERS AND C.I.V.
QSA with clasps; Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein and Johannesburg.

8943 PRIVATE E.G.DAVIES: ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS.
Davies was one of the first men to volunteer and served with the squadron of ambulance and associated with the Winburg Hospital.
I believe his QSA to be with the clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State,Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Laings Nek.
His KSA with both date clasps.
However, there is another E. Davies with service number 9783 who was with the R.A.M.C. whose QSA was awarded with clasp NATAL.
The jury is undecided on this one!

1416 PRIVATE R. DUNSMORE: C.I.V.
QSA with Cape Colony and Orange Free State.

1120 PRIVATE A.W.GOUGH: 12TH MIDDLESEX RIFLE VOLUNTEERS AND C.I.V.
QSA with Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Wittebergen, Diamond Hill, Belfast.

948 LANCE CORPORAL S.T.W.HENSHAW: 1ST CITY OF LONDON RIFLES AND C.I.V.
QSA with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Driefontein and Johannesburg.
Stanley Thomas W Henshaw was born in Camberwell, London in the 1st quarter of 1876.

947 PRIVATE E.H.LLOYD: C.I.V.
QSA with clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg and Diamond Hill.

1409 COLOUR SERGEANT G.L.MCDONNELL: 7TH MIDDLESEX RIFLE VOLUNTEERS AND C.I.V.
QSA with clasps; Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg and Belfast.

13670 and 33360 TROOPER PERCIVAL HENRY NOAD: 31ST (MONTGOMERYSHIRE) COMPANY 9TH BATTALION IMPERIAL YEOMANRY (BASE COMPANY).
LATER COMMISSIONED LIEUTENANT IN I.Y. FROM 20TH MARCH 1901.
Percival was born in Camberwell, London and was working as a Clerk when he attested to the Imperial Yeomanry at Carlton Street, London on 11th March 1901. He was 21 years 9 months old, 5' 6" height, 140 lbs weight, chest range of 34" minimum and 35"maximum. He had a fair complexion, hazel eyes, fair hair and was Church of England.
As with many of these men who were not from a working class background, he did not have any distinguishing marks, tattoos or scars in contrast to the lads I have researched from South Wales and the industrial midlands!
His next of kin was recorded as being his mother Mary Ann Noad of 39, Thorapia Road, Honour Oak, South East London.
He was invalided home on 10th March 1902.
His QSA had the clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal. His KSA with both date clasps.

931 TROOPER S. REDPATH: NATAL CARBINEERS.
Very little information about this man other than his QSA holds the clasps Elandslaagte and Defence of Ladysmith.
Possibly held the rank of Captain with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in World War One.

15685 PRIVATE H.J.ROE: 20TH (ROUGH RIDERS) COMPANY IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
POSSIBLY ALSO ATTACHED 78TH COMPANY I.Y.
QSA with Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa 1901.
Not entitled to the KSA.

900 PRIVATE W.G.SMITH: C.I.V.
ALSO SERVED WITH 4TH VOLUNTEER BATTALION EAST SURREY REGIMENT.
QSA with clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

30285 PRIVATE JOHN LESLIE STEVENS: 36TH (WEST KENT) COMPANY 11TH BATTALION IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
John was invalided on 29th April 1902, the cause unknown.
QSA awarded with five clasps as follows; Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & , South Africa 1902.

509 PRIVATE H. SEYFANG: 1ST VOLUTEER BATTALION SURREY RIFLES AND C.I.V.
Promoted Corporal.
QSA with clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

9532 SERGEANT C.E. OR G.S.TAYLOR:RIFLE BRIGADE.
Issue with initials here.
QSA awarded with the clasps; Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Laing's Nek, Belfast and South Africa 1901.
Taylor was not entitled to the KSA.

24609 CORPORAL H. TIMMS: 1ST SQUADRON 1ST BATTALION IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
QSA awarded with the clasps; Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902.

H.E.WATERS.
3722 OR 2722 :17TH LANCERS. INITIALS 'E.H'.). FROM MAIDSTON, KENT, SO MOST LIKELY?
5052 : 18TH HUSSARS (INITIALS 'J.E.').
2961: PRIVATE WITH KING'S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY (INITIAL 'E'). THIS MAN EXPUNGED. NOT ENTITLED TO QSA.
No definitive proof for any of the above-mentioned being the man named on the memorial.

40262 SERGEANT JAMES ARTHUR BALDWIN WOODWARD: IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
James was born in the parish of Brixton, London around 1877/8 and was 24 years 7 months old when he enlisted in the Imperial Yeomanry on 9th January 1902.
He was a big load, at 5' 7 1/2" tall he was a very stocky 170lbs in weight (12stone 2 lbs if you prefer) and had a chest range of 37" minimum and 40" maximum. Fresh complexion, grey eyes, brown hair and Church of England.
He made a rapid promotion to Sergeant on 14th January 1902, in no small part due to his stature I would imagine.
He departed for South Africa on 14th May 1902 and is recorded as staying there until 29th December 1902. His total service with the Imperial Yeomanry adding up to 355 days.
His next of kin was his brother, a Mr. Alfred Charles Ernest Woodward of 161 Pepys Road, St. Katherine's Park, South East London.
By coincidence this address is on the same road as the memorial is located.
His discharge papers declare his service as very good and his special qualifications for employment in civilian life were as a Clerk ( he had been with the Base Depot during service in South Africa).
Unfortunately, I have yet to find his medal entitlement.

2111 TROOPER LEO WARLEIGH: ROBERT'S HORSE.
36344 SOUTH AFRICAN LIGHT HORSE.
QSA awarded with clasps; Paardeberg, Driefontein, Relief of Kimberley, Transvaal.
KSA with both date clasps.

9162 PRIVATE FRANK WACHER: 20TH COMPANY 6TH BATTALION IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
Frank Wacher was the only Old Askean to die in the South African campaign. We are very fortunate in having his attestation paper still available online.
Frank was born in 1880 in Broadstairs,Kent. He attested to the Imperial Yeomanry on 4th January 1900 at Ceupar, Fife, Scotland. He was single and 20 years old, 5' 9 3/4" height, 150lbs in weight, chest range of 36" minimum and 37" maximum. Complexion fresh, eyes blue, hair of light brown. He gave Church of England as his faith.

He served in South Africa from 29th February 1901 until his death on 28th February 1901, a total of 1 year and 51 days including the 51 days based at home.

He was killed in action on 28th February 1901 at Rietvlei and is interred at Mooi River. He was just 22 years old.

His death was reported in The Times and also in the Askean Magazine.

A very sad occasion for the school, his old school friends and his next of kin; C.F.Wacher, The Brewery, Bermondsey, London.

I hope this thread is of interest to fellow forummers. Perhaps you have a QSA to an Old Askean in your collection? Please tell us about them.
Or maybe you can shed light on some of the C.I.V. men?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Elmarie, dunnboer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Haberdasher's Aske's Boys' School South African War Memorial 2 years 1 month ago #81836

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
PTE FG WACHER

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Haberdasher's Aske's Boys' School South African War Memorial 2 years 1 month ago #81844

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
1102 Pte F. R. Cripps C.I.V. 12th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie, Moranthorse1

Haberdasher's Aske's Boys' School South African War Memorial 2 years 1 month ago #81845

• dunnboer
320 Sergeant C. Connew C.I.V. 13th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers

Attachments:

Haberdasher's Aske's Boys' School South African War Memorial 2 years 1 month ago #81846

• dunnboer
948 Lance Corporal S T W Henshaw C.I.V. 1st City of London Rifles

Attachments:

Haberdasher's Aske's Boys' School South African War Memorial 2 years 1 month ago #81847

• dunnboer
947 Pte E H Lloyd C.I.V. 1st City of London Rifles

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.779 seconds