Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Trooper/Lieutenant Hugh ? Reid, kia 09/07/1900 - help needed 2 years 3 months ago #80837

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
David
The latest addition of in Memoriam by S Watt is available on Amazon from time to time.
Prices vary, over 100 quid in some cases. Keep a look out on the Abe books website, I picked up a good clean 2nd hand 2000 edition for £40 . More expensive brand new. I think Waterstone's have it also.
It does have it's errors, however it is invaluable along with the SAFF info for help with casualty entries. Watt for the list of deaths and location, SAFF for the deaths, POW and wounded details and location. Good to cross reference, but sometimes data can, shall we say conflict occasionally. But essential for research.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trooper/Lieutenant Hugh ? Reid, kia 09/07/1900 - help needed 2 years 3 months ago #80838

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 759
David,
"In Memoriam"by Steve Watt (2000) really is a must have for reliable information for soldiers of the imperial forces who died during the Anglo Boer War. It also covers civilians who died while working with the armed forces for example; railwaymen, civilian clerks, conductors etc

Watt gives details of the soldier, date and cause of death and also if and where their remains were Interred.

It is, as you may have already guessed, currently out of print. I've checked online with Amazon, Waterstones, Blackwell's etc. but all say currently unavailable.
You could try Abebooks or Bookfinder.com or they do show on e-bay occasionally.

I got lucky about 18 months ago and paid 65 quid for a very clean copy. But you could end up paying as much as 100. But it is indispensable!

I will keep an eye open for a copy and let you know if I find one.

Good luck!

Steve

Trooper/Lieutenant Hugh ? Reid, kia 09/07/1900 - help needed 2 years 3 months ago #80839

• Moranthorse1
There is a copy of the SAFF Casualty Roll published by Hayward (1982) currently on offer on e-bay at £49.99 to 'buy it now'. Postage is hefty at £16.10, but the book weighs over 2 kgs!

Hayward details all deaths, wounded, missing, POWs.
But as Dave F says some inaccuracies therein.

Cheers Steve

Trooper/Lieutenant Hugh ? Reid, kia 09/07/1900 - help needed 2 years 3 months ago #80843

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 820
Steve/Dave - thanks for the info - SAFF? I presume SA = South Africa but FF?

My foray into the ABW was supposed to be time limited but it seems to have become an obsession partly caused by the enthusiasm found on this forum. The obsession is a bit of a problem as I have two unfinished projects - WW1 (the men who shared a school war memorial with one of my Gt Uncles) and the other WW2 (the Old Boys of my GS).

David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Trooper/Lieutenant Hugh ? Reid, kia 09/07/1900 - help needed 2 years 3 months ago #80846

• Moranthorse1
South African Field Force. Sorry should have written out in full! Lol!
Yes, it's such a fascinating subject for me aswell. First you look at the Imperial and colonial side of things, then you start to research other angles from the Boer point of view, then the native African population, then involvement of Irish, Scandinavian and German involvement and it goes on!
Clear a couple of shelves for books on the subject aswell.
I hope you get a chance to complete your other Smethwick Ian projects.
And yes, the knowledge and enthusiasm of the forum members never ceases to amaze!

Trooper/Lieutenant Hugh ? Reid, kia 09/07/1900 - help needed 2 years 3 months ago #80849

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303
Hugh Stanley Thompson Reid, born Middlesbrough, 1st quarter 1877. Mother's maiden name was Craig.

The only birth registration of a Philip John Reid in England and Wales that I can find was in Westminster, 4th quarter 1864. Mother's maiden name was Whitworth. No birth registration of a Philip John Reid/Reed/Read/Rhead in Scotland, 1860-1885.

Only one death registration in England and Wales - Philip John Reid, death registered in Wycombe, 1932, aged 65.
No death of a Philip John Reid in Scotland between 1915-1975.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds