Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Robert's Horse 3 years 2 months ago #74942

• Droocoo
  • Droocoo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

I am researching Trooper 25410 Bernhardt Schumann of Robert's Horse who was entitled to a QSA and killed in action 25.1.01 at Middlefontein.

I am aware of the fact that Schumann's death was recorded by J.H. Kuhlmann in his series of Boer War Letters held by the SA Archives, as well as the fact that his QSA was sold at City Coins recently.

I was wondering whether:

1. Anyone else had information on Robert's Horse over the rest of the war including eyewitness accounts?
2. Information is available on the actions of the unit at Diamond Hill?
3. Bernhardt's biographical information can be obtained through the South African Archives?
4. His burial in Krugersdorp is a known grave?
5. Anyone has access to the full range of J.H. Kuhlmann letters for Robert's Horse?

I can see an Ancestry search returning 1 hit for a death notice in Cape Province located at the National Archives in Capetown. I cannot however access this online. I am assuming that Bernhardt was of South African descent rather a colonial or British soldier.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Robert's Horse 3 years 2 months ago #74944

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 181
Hi Andrew,

You will find the death certificate of Bernhardt Eduardt Schumann on www.familysearch.org .
This is a free and open genealogical website which is most useful for every South African (and other) researcher.

RobM
The following user(s) said Thank You: gavmedals

Robert's Horse 3 years 2 months ago #74945

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Andrew
Regarding your points 1 and 2, there is an entry for Roberts' Horse in Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" and it covers the unit quite well. Regarding Diamond Hill and RH, Stirling does not say much and you might have to consult such as The Times History or The Official History (Maurice) for their location during that battle. I always liked medals to Roberts' Horse and Kitchener's Horse for some reason; probably because they had, according to Stirling, a large percentage of members who had made their own way to South Africa.
Regards
IL.

Robert's Horse 3 years 2 months ago #74946

• Droocoo
Excellent,

So from this and the medal rolls I can establish that Trooper 25410 Bernhardt Eduardt Schumann served with Nesbitt's Horse, Kitchener's Horse and Robert's Horse. His number with Kitchener's Horse was 23527.

Bernhardt was born in 1882 in Umtata, Transkei to Franz Wilhelm Eduardt Schumann and Emma Schumann nee Flack. He enlisted on the 25th August 1900.

Bernhardt was entitled to a Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps:

1. Wittebergen
2. Diamond Hill
3. Johannesburg
4. Cape Colony
5. South Africa 1901

The lattermost clasp does not exist on his medal in its current state. Bernhardt is listed on the Kitchener's Horse nominal roll. He is not listed on the medal roll of Nesbitt's Horse.

Bernhardt was killed on the 25th January 1901 near Steylis Farm near Krugerdorp. He was buried there as he fell. Bernhardt's next of kin was listed as Mr Schumann, the Chief of Police in Willowmore, South Africa.

Bernhardt was 19 years and 7 months at the time of his death and serving as a volunteer with Robert's Horse. He was single, and listed as killed in action on the 24th January 1901.

Robert's Horse 3 years 2 months ago #74947

• Droocoo
Can I also ask:

If Bernhardt enlisted in August 1900, how does he qualify for the Diamond Hill Clasp when the battle was in June 1900?

Andrew

Robert's Horse 3 years 2 months ago #74967

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
BURGERSHOOP CEMETERY, KRUGERSDORP - BRITISH MEMORIAL

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.247 seconds