Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Role Of Individuals In 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment (King's Own) 3 years 4 months ago #73555

• Dennis Morton
  • Dennis Morton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Morning,
Are there archives available where you can research the individual's role /discipline within a regiment or unit?
For example; my grandfather John Dean Morton of the 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment. His service record shows his service time and campaign activities etc. So, where can I research more info as to what his role was? For example was he an assistant gunner, or rifleman, or groom, or clerk or messenger, etc?
Previously (before enlistment) he was an assistant blacksmith, and while in Malta (prior to Boer War) it looks like he was a groom.
Your kind help will be appreciated. Many thanks. Take care

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Role Of Individuals In 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment (King's Own) 3 years 4 months ago #73557

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 767
Did he have medal clasp Relief of Ladysmith?
If so, and if you want, I can provide details about exactly where your GF fought whilst with the 2nd Royal Lancasters in the 11th Brigade under Maj Gen Woodgate. I can provide you some photos to give you an idea.
Better still, if you could come out to South Africa, I can arrange for you to walk over the ground where he fought. You could visit in style, or sleep under the stars out on the veld in his old bivouac - whichever you prefer...!
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Role Of Individuals In 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment (King's Own) 3 years 4 months ago #73558

• Dennis Morton
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Rob
Yes he had clasps for Laing's Nek, Relief of Ladysmith, Tugela Heights, Transvaal and OFS.
Your photos would be brilliant. I have some from the Royal Lancaster Regiment, but they need some more detailed captions i guess. I am also interested in what my GF's role as a Private was.
And next time I'm in South Africa I will contact you. I lived there for forty years, went to school in Bergville, visited Colenso, Ladysmith etc and did a few school tours of the battlefields, but never once knew my GF was part of history. So yes I look forward to some fireside tales under the stars. Thanks
Take care.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Role Of Individuals In 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment (King's Own) 3 years 4 months ago #73562

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
Hello, Dennis. Do you know where in the UK his family/parents lived?

Role Of Individuals In 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment (King's Own) 3 years 4 months ago #73564

• Dennis Morton
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi
His parents and grandparents lived in Preston, Lancashire. Census records from 1861 through to 1901 indicate the family lived in same area. He was an assistant blacksmith at age 15. On enlistment he is identified as a groom.

Role Of Individuals In 2nd Royal Lancaster Regiment (King's Own) 3 years 4 months ago #73565

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2304
That's not far from me, so when the local libraries re-open I'll have a look through the local paper for any published letters written home by him. Won't be this year though, and it will take a while to do as the newspaper published in Preston was a daily.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds