• Page:

TOPIC:

Johannesburg mounted Rifles Discharge 3 years 8 months ago #71196

• Jordanpierce
  • Jordanpierce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, first time posting on here, not sure if this has been covered previously.

My Grandfather has been doing research on his Grandfathers involvement during the Boer war. His Grandfather, James Henry Langstone lived in Adelaide, South Australia when he enlisted, we have his attestation form for the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles.

What my grandfather has been trying to find out is. After the war, we’re the Johannesburg mounted rifles sent back to England and discharged, or were they discharged in Africa?

What would’ve happened to the colonial soldiers? Would they have also gone to England? Or would they have been discharged and sent back to Australia, New Zealand etc.

We have an inbound passenger arrival for a J Langstone arriving in Fremantle on the SS Victoria in October 1902, Which had come from London via Cape Town.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johannesburg mounted Rifles Discharge 3 years 8 months ago #71197

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2141
Dear Jordan

The JMR were a locally (South African) raised unit - they were discharged in Johannesburg on cessation of hostilities and those among there number who may have hailed from Australia etc. were then free to return home under their own steam.

Most returned to their countries of origin, some stayed on in South Africa and made a life for themselves, whilst others went to England if they had family etc. there.

I am not sure if you have his medal or not? I attach the medal roll off which it was issued, this shows that your grandfather, after service with the JMR, went on to the East Griqualand Mounted Rifles and then to the Queenstown Rifles Volunteers. These last were both Eastern Cape-based regiments. The dates in the remarks column of the roll will show you for what periods of time he served and with whom.

He is no. 1313 Jas (James) Langstone. I also attach the nominal roll for the QRV showing that he took his discharge from them at the end of the war - not the JMR.

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

Johannesburg mounted Rifles Discharge 3 years 8 months ago #71198

• Jordanpierce
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for replying Rory.

Further more, how would a colonial soldier end up in the JMR and not for example the South Australian Mounted Rifles?

Thanks, Jordan

Johannesburg mounted Rifles Discharge 3 years 8 months ago #71199

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2141
Difficult to say really. Many Empire types weren't considered for the e.g. Australian drafts and came over, at their own expense. On arrival they joined a locally raised unit of which there was no shortage at the time.

I have medals to many recipients who, for the above reason and others, came over thirsting for a bit of action and adventure. Once they had "done their bit" they either stayed on, marrying a local girl, or returned to whence they came.

Rory

Johannesburg mounted Rifles Discharge 3 years 8 months ago #71200

• Jordanpierce
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Very interesting, according to my grandfather, his medals were thrown out by someone in the family who thought nobody would care about them...

So by the looks of it, he was discharged in Cape Town and would have made his own way back to Australia. As I said before we do have a shipping list for the Victoria with his name on it.

Jordan

Johannesburg mounted Rifles Discharge 3 years 8 months ago #71205

• Jordanpierce
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
As I mentioned previously, we have an inbound shipping arrival for him arriving in Australia in October 1902 on a ship called the Victoria saying he embarked from London. Where would be a good place to start looking to see if he got on a ship in Cape Town and headed to London before returning to Australia?

Jordan

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds