Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The curious case of George Peebles: Neither a commission nor a VC 5 years 9 months ago #59731

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
City Coins sold the QSA (3) CC Wep Witt to 1 Cpl George Peebles, FMR in August 2008.

George had served in Driscoll's Scouts at Wepener. His medal was accompanied by a letter from R Hoskyn dated 31 August 1900 which read:

c/o F P. Gloch Esqr, Dordrecht, C.C..

My dear peebles,

I ought to be ashamed of my self for not writing to you before and thanking you for saving my life at the risk or your own, for which I am deeply indebted to you. And am very glad indeed to hear that you have gained the V.C. for your bravery. I have seen accounts of it in some home papers that have been sent out to me. Father told me that he had written to you to ask you if you would send him one of your photograph, do you mind sending me one also taken in your uniform and I will send you of mine. My wound has been troubling me a good bit lately but hope it will be all right again soon. I expect you are all very glad to get back as you had a very hard time of it. I must close thanking you again.

Yours sincerely
R. Hoskyn.”

The Teesdale Mercury, 20 June 1900, reported:

Peebles seems not to have received any recognition for his deed. He did not receive the VC, nor a DCM or a MID. It is odd that the papers should have picked up on the award. Perhaps a trawl at Kew will help to answer the conundrum?

Did anyone purchase this medal and have more information on George Peebles?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The curious case of George Peebles: Neither a commission nor a VC 5 years 9 months ago #59732

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1288 Trooper Robert Hoskyn, Driscoll's Scouts, was severely wounded at Wepener.
Dr David Biggins

The curious case of George Peebles: Neither a commission nor a VC 5 years 9 months ago #59739

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
George was from King William's Town.

The same story ran in the Cape Mercury, 14 June 1900, under the title "A Brave King Boy".
Dr David Biggins

The curious case of George Peebles: Neither a commission nor a VC 5 years 9 months ago #59748

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
The Teesdale Mercury states he received an "alternative offer" of a commission. Peebles was later an officer in the Molteno TG - not a quite a commission, but perhaps what the newspaper referred to.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

The curious case of George Peebles: Neither a commission nor a VC 5 years 9 months ago #59749

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Meurig,

I can see him listed as a Private in the Molteno TG (WO100/283p223) but don't see his commission. Where is this please?

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

The curious case of George Peebles: Neither a commission nor a VC 5 years 9 months ago #59751

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.826 seconds