Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Welsh Hospital in South Africa, 1900 6 years 7 months ago #55059

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Justin

It seems to me that more than one person are confused about these two surgeons. See attached.

www.wwwmp.co.uk/pre-ww1-war-memorials/st...l-boer-war-memorial/
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Welsh Hospital in South Africa, 1900 6 years 7 months ago #55061

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

JustinLDavies wrote: Dear Berenice,

How very interesting. It turns out that Dr Davies (no relation) is well remembered and has no less than four memorials:

1. There is a brass plaque to his memory in The Hospital, Lancaster (as it was called around 1904)

The following may be why it's been reported that there's a memorial plaque at Lancaster Royal Infirmary -

WINDFALL FOR PRESTON INFIRMARY.

Alderman Davies's Generosity.

Alderman Davies, J.P., has given a sum of £2,000 unconditionally to the Preston Infirmary. In presenting the handsome donation Alderman Davies, writing to Mr. Park, from Carus Lodge, Lancaster, says: - Will you kindly inform the board of management of the Preston and County of Lancaster Royal Infirmary, of which you are the chairman, that I desire to give them the sum of £2,000 to be expended in connection with the institution in any way they may think proper as a memorial of my son, Dr. Herbert Davies, who died in South Africa in June last whilst doing duty as a civil surgeon at the front."

Alderman Davies is a director of the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron, and Coal Company (Limited), and a member of the South Wales Colliers' Sliding-scale. His son was a member of the Welsh Hospital staff, and died of dysentery at Springfontein on June 15 last, a few days before Professor Jones.

Evening Express, Friday 11th January 1901

Did someone read Lancaster Royal Infirmary from that?, whereas it's actually the Preston and County of Lancaster Royal Infirmary. I shall have to make inquiries down at Preston now.

The Welsh Hospital in South Africa, 1900 5 years 11 months ago #58434

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Reproduction of a sketch which appeared in the (Cardiff) Evening Express, 14th May 1901. As can be seen from the photos posted by capepolice, on page 1, all three wooden crosses were later replaced by marble grave markers.

Honoured Dead of the Welsh Hospital.

MEMORIALS AT SPRINGFONTEIN.
The sketch below carries its own explanation. It shows the graves where the honoured dust of some of the brave members of the Welsh Hospital staff rest on the breezy heights of Springfontein, in the Orange River Colony. It will be recollected that the Welsh Hospital was first sent to Springfontein, and remained there for many months before it removed to Pretoria.

Springfontein is just across the Orange River, 361 miles from Port Elizabeth, 662 from Cape Town, and lies 4,937ft. high.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.541 seconds