Brandfort was one of the few towns in the Orange Free State with a Town Guard. According to notes on the QSA roll it consisted of a mounted and dismounted section and was formed on 25 February 1901. The commanding officer was Captain Edmund Kightley.
The mounted men were out almost daily escorting wood-cutting parties with wagons some 6 miles out of town. They also performed Cattle Guard duty and frequently Cossack Posts. The mounted men were on various occasions engaged with the enemy who had looted cattle and wood wagons from the Town Commonage.
The whole guard, both mounted and dismounted, were often called out and stood to arms and patrolled the whole night through when the town was threatened.
- Next >>