Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Single clasp KSAs 10 years 1 month ago #18249

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
That is 502 to Imperial (British) troops.

I have an upcoming article in the OMRS Journal with the roll of the Colonial troops with a single bar KSA.

I also wrote an article in Medal News, can't remember when but about 2011, on the single bar KSA which explained how you got them and built on Patrick's article and a few others. I don't have it to hand now, at work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single clasp KSAs 10 years 1 month ago #18260

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
The group to Malcolm O Little. The picture excludes his CB (m) n/b and CBE (1st) n/b.

His QSA is names to Lt Col 9th Lancers and KSA to Col 9th Lancers.

Picture courtesy of Spink.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 7 months ago #22522

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
These examples so far are for the 1902 bar as a single on the KSA.

It is more usual to get the 1902 bar as a single, as to get the 18 months service needed you needed to serve in 1902.

But you can get a single bar 1901 only.

This happens if:
  1. You start in a unit that is entitled to a KSA, so a fighting unit
  2. You serve through 1901 so start to earn your 18 months and since it is 1901 you have the 1901 bar
  3. You then change to a unit that was not entitled to bars on their KSA, such as the Conductors in the ASC.
  4. You then serve in 1902, so earn the KSA. But you are a Conductor so you have earned a KSA with no bars.
But what about that 1901 service in your fighting unit? That has to go somewhere, you earned it. And since you have a KSA it has to go onto it.

So you get a single 1901 bar KSA.

I have counted 3 of these. Henk Loots had one that sold a couple of years ago and I remember Justin (I think) had one.

Does anyone have examples of these 1901 bar only ones?

Ryan

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 7 months ago #22529

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Ryan
I have the Glencross group; CGH 2 bars (Willoughby's H),QSA OFS TV LN (SAC)and KSA 1901(ASC).
IL.

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 7 months ago #22532

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi

I have the following single clasp KSA South Africa 1901:

Driver Reuben Goodman, South African Service Corps, Bethune’s Mounted Infantry and Transport Stock Riders

Driver R. Goodman, South African Service Corps, Bethune’s Mounted Infantry and Transport Stock Riders - a rare recipient of a single clasp K.S.A.
Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 3 clasps, Natal, Transvaal, Orange Free State (425 Tpr., Bethune’s M.I.) clasps mounted in that order; King’s South Africa 1901-02, 1 clasp, South Africa 1901 (81 Tpr., Tnspt. Stock Rdrs.); 1914-15 Star (Pte., 11th Infantry); British War and Bilingual Victory Medals (Dvr., S.A.S.C.)

Reuben Goodman, a Jew, served as a Trooper 425 in Bethune’s Mounted Infantry, 23 November 1899-13 November 1900; then as Trooper 22540 in the C.-in-C’s Bodyguard, 17 November 1900-16 May 1901; lastly serving as Trooper 81 with the Transport Stock Riders. In the Great War he served with the 11th Infantry, time expired 15 November 1915, and in the South African Service Corps, being demobilised on 14 May 1919.
Reuben Goodman was the son of Abraham Goodman, of 174 Bury New Road, Higher Broughton, Manchester, England. He was a bookkeeper, and lived at the Royal Hotel, Plein Street, Johannesburg.

Regards

Adrian (No2)

Attachments:

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 7 months ago #22543

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Chaps
I did'nt post the pic of the Glencross group earlier as I could not figure out where it was! Might be time for a winnowing?

Willoughby's Horse was formed in 10/1880 and the unit served in the Transkei area under Col. Wavell during the Basutoland Rebellion and also with the HQ column in Basutoland in 4/1881.
Robert Glencross enlisted in the IBC as a Company Leader on 01061900 and therein served until 10061901 until he joined the ASC. He was at first employed at the Ox Transport Depot at Pretoria and later transferred to 24 Coy ASC - serving with them up to the end of the war. His QSA was issued off the roll of the ASC and the bars off the roll of the IBC. The ASC KSA roll clearly shows the issue pf the 1901 bar only.
Regards to all
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.638 seconds