Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 7 months ago #48684

• 142bravo
  • 142bravo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello I am a new member so I do hope that I have got this done correctly if not my apologizes to all.

I am trying to figure out if a QSA medal I have is spurious with respect to it's naming (which I believe it to be) or correct with some erasures by it's owner. I am a novice in the field of medals.

The QSA has 4 clasps: South Africa 1902 - Transvaal - Orange Free State - Cape Colony and while on an original ribbon has had a modern broach pin sewn on.

The rim is impressed named: W.T.J. BROUGHTON with earasing of the RANK and partial Reg Nos. leaving clearly the last numbers 004. It is stamped DRISCOLL'S SCTS.

Checking the Surname on the site I did find a William Thomas John BROUGHTON Tpr. 6004 Imperial Yeomanry Scouts on the nominal roll of the I.Y. Scouts.

Checking the roll of DRISCOLL's SCOUTS I did find a John BROUGHTON 22763

Confused yes for sure - the QSA was acquired here in Canada for part of a small display of Boer War items I have. I am trying to find out any information good or bad that may help me understand what this medal is or why it does not conform to the nominal rolls. I am in the process of tracking down a nice researched KSA/QSA pair for my display - but for me this one has remained a big question mark since I got it for display.

I am also curious if the clasps are correct or not and what would be the correct unit for Tpr BROUGHTON if he is not on the nominal roll of the DRISCOLL'S SCOUTS??

I understand that certainly in WW1 medals some soldiers did erase the official impressed ranks - no doubt unhappy with the rank which appeared on their official medals after being demoted somewhere in their service .

Would sure appreciate any assistance as this is a totally new area for me to do any research in.

Kindest Regards .. Bruce
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 7 months ago #48687

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning,
This man appears to be John Broughton, the W and T seem to be Weldon and Thomas respectively, a brief look at WO100/245 and WO100/252 suggests that he served with the Imperial Yeomanry Scouts as 6004 and Driscoll's Scouts as 38094, medal and clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal and South Africa 1902.
Both entries in WO100 make reference to addition service in the "Glamorganshire" Yeomanry, the supplementary page of the Driscoll's volume states "cannot verify" so from a research point of view, that would certainly be an avenue to go down.
In the meantime, the obvious thing to do would be a careful look in the rank and file surviving papers for both the IY Scouts and Driscoll's Scouts, these are in WO126/66 and WO126/40-43 at Kew.
Regards Frank Kelley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, 142bravo

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 7 months ago #48691

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
142bravo
The roll for the IY Scouts shows "6004 Tpr. W T .J.Broughton" as being 27 YoA ,a horse trainer with address variously as Cape Town SA and Westerham, Kent. He served with 2nd Troop, IYS from 3/1900 to 6/9/1900. Also served with the Glamorgan Yeomanry and later in Driscoll's Scts as 33094.
Further checking might tell a broader story. Sadly, sometimes medals were partially or fully erased for reasons best know to whomever did it. You are able to do a bit of digging on the recipient and I certainly would retain the medal. Service in the IYS is not often seen on the rolls.
Good luck with your quest. If you turn up more information, I am sure that forum members would be interested to see it.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 142bravo

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 7 months ago #48692

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
HI Bruce,

Weldon Thomas John Broughton passed away in Cape Town in 1949. His estate papers are in Cape Town.

DEPOT KAB
SOURCE MOOC
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 6/9/16166
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 3264/49
PART 1
DESCRIPTION BROUGHTON, WELDON THOMAS JOHN. ESTATE PAPERS.
STARTING 19490000
ENDING 19490000

Regards
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 7 months ago #48693

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello again Bruce,

Interestingly there are also estate papers to one Richard Corwin Broughton who also died in 1949, there could be a story here. The first thing that sprang to my mind was perhaps father and son died together in an accident ?????

DEPOT KAB
SOURCE MOOC
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 6/9/16239
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 3665/49
PART 1
DESCRIPTION BROUGHTON, RICHARD CORWIN. ESTATE PAPERS.
STARTING 19490000
ENDING 19490000

I am in Durban at the moment but there is a very strong possibility that I will be posted back to Cape Town permanently at the end of November. If so I will pop into the archives and have a look at the files for you, that's if you don't mind waiting.

Regards
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 7 months ago #48695

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Just looking at your photographs, which I did not do in the small hours of this morning, I believe this particular medal is original and as issued to Broughton, there was some annotation to suggest it was issued in WO100, however, it has certainly been messed around with since then, which is a shame.
Notwithstanding, it is still a good medal, the Imperial Yeomanry Scouts was an SAMIF regiment raised for general service in South Africa in Cape Town on the 13th of March 1900, it was not part of the British Army, despite it's name, it was disbanded in, I strongly suspect, Pretoria, at Christmas that same year.
Driscoll's Scouts had been raised at Aliwal North, a really godforsaken place in that particular year, but, a most important hub, on the 17th of March 1900, again, for general service, it has been suggested that there was an Irish connection, although, this is more to do with their commander, Dan Driscoll and the badge they wore, than anything else, moreover, even the briefest look at WO126 confirms this to be the case.
They were disbanded, after Vereeniging, in Bloemfontein on the 4th of July 1902.
I should be quite pleased with it if I were you.
Regards once again.

142bravo wrote: Hello I am a new member so I do hope that I have got this done correctly if not my apologizes to all.

I am trying to figure out if a QSA medal I have is spurious with respect to it's naming (which I believe it to be) or correct with some erasures by it's owner. I am a novice in the field of medals.

The QSA has 4 clasps: South Africa 1902 - Transvaal - Orange Free State - Cape Colony and while on an original ribbon has had a modern broach pin sewn on.

The rim is impressed named: W.T.J. BROUGHTON with earasing of the RANK and partial Reg Nos. leaving clearly the last numbers 004. It is stamped DRISCOLL'S SCTS.

Checking the Surname on the site I did find a William Thomas John BROUGHTON Tpr. 6004 Imperial Yeomanry Scouts on the nominal roll of the I.Y. Scouts.

Checking the roll of DRISCOLL's SCOUTS I did find a John BROUGHTON 22763

Confused yes for sure - the QSA was acquired here in Canada for part of a small display of Boer War items I have. I am trying to find out any information good or bad that may help me understand what this medal is or why it does not conform to the nominal rolls. I am in the process of tracking down a nice researched KSA/QSA pair for my display - but for me this one has remained a big question mark since I got it for display.

I am also curious if the clasps are correct or not and what would be the correct unit for Tpr BROUGHTON if he is not on the nominal roll of the DRISCOLL'S SCOUTS??

I understand that certainly in WW1 medals some soldiers did erase the official impressed ranks - no doubt unhappy with the rank which appeared on their official medals after being demoted somewhere in their service .

Would sure appreciate any assistance as this is a totally new area for me to do any research in.

Kindest Regards .. Bruce

The following user(s) said Thank You: 142bravo

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds