Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 6 months ago #48696

• 142bravo
  • 142bravo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks to everyone who provided me with some great information and got me in the right direction - really much appreciated & has sure stoked my interests!

Got me thinking on the naming so I obtained a very high magnification loop and looking under optimum lightening can actually see that the Reg Nos. impressed is in fact: 33094 and rank was Tpr. hard to see through the erasing but can make it out.

So if I have it correct:

- Tpr. BROUGHTON did in fact serve in Driscoll's Scouts as John BROUGHTON Nos 33094 for which he was awarded this QSA with the 4 clasps?

- He is one the one and the same: W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Imperial Yeomanry Scouts on that unit rolls and John BROUGHTON 33094 on the Driscoll's Scouts rolls?

Did they not reference a unit change/transfer or status change ie. SOS on these various unit rolls (couldn't see the change on the I.Y. rolls)?

Would it be correct for me to consider this then a correct issue QSA with proper clasps - albeit with erasure?

How does one go about doing proper research of the surviving records at Kew as suggested - using a professional researcher service??

I'd definitely be interested in getting some complete research done on Tpr. BROUGHTON!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 6 months ago #48697

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, Broughton served in Driscoll's Scouts, in my opinion, the medal and clasps are correct, as issued and as entitled, he did serve in the Imperial Yeomanry Scouts, both regiments rolls are, in actual fact, cross referenced and clearly show his service.
Any half decent researcher would be able to order the appropriate box of attestation papers, simply, sit in the reading room at Kew, find any surviving paper and have a copy made and sent over to you, please forgive me, if I appear flippant, but, quite frankly, it's hardly atomic science.

142bravo wrote: Thanks to everyone who provided me with some great information and got me in the right direction - really much appreciated & has sure stoked my interests!

Got me thinking on the naming so I obtained a very high magnification loop and looking under optimum lightening can actually see that the Reg Nos. impressed is in fact: 33094 and rank was Tpr. hard to see through the erasing but can make it out.

So if I have it correct:

- Tpr. BROUGHTON did in fact serve in Driscoll's Scouts as John BROUGHTON Nos 33094 for which he was awarded this QSA with the 4 clasps?

- He is one the one and the same: W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Imperial Yeomanry Scouts on that unit rolls and John BROUGHTON 33094 on the Driscoll's Scouts rolls?

Did they not reference a unit change/transfer or status change ie. SOS on these various unit rolls (couldn't see the change on the I.Y. rolls)?

Would it be correct for me to consider this then a correct issue QSA with proper clasps - albeit with erasure?

How does one go about doing proper research of the surviving records at Kew as suggested - using a professional researcher service??

I'd definitely be interested in getting some complete research done on Tpr. BROUGHTON!

The following user(s) said Thank You: 142bravo

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 6 months ago #48698

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Just the briefest look at RG11 and RG12 suggests to me that you will probably find he was born in Stoke Newington London circa 1874, he will have taken his fathers Christian name.

Attachments:

W.T.J. Broughton 6004 Trooper Imperial Yeomanry Scouts ?? 7 years 6 months ago #48711

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
bravo 142
The Imperial Yeomanry Scouts were an interesting unit. Their concept arose from a suggestion made to Lord Chesham by a Colonial Victorian gentleman resident in the UniK
The unit was to be employed as a competent scouting body attached to the fledgling Yeomanry contingent for SA. The IYS was raised in SA and volunteers comprised men mainly resident in SA. As said previously, the unit was formed 13/3/00; LofC orders orders stated the IYS was to be formed for special duty. Its members were apparently discharged either in Johannesburg or Pretoria after their six months' enlistment was up. In Tpr. Broughton's case, nearly up! The usual clasps issued to the IYS were Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

We won't find many references to the activities of the IYS in the mainstream histories. However, a local historian here in OZ (Neil Smith, AM) had published some time ago a work titled: "Australia's Yeomanry Scouts. A History of the Imperial Yeomanry Scouts in the Boer War 1899-1902". ISBN 1 876179 97 X. Neil Smith has done some excellent research on the formation and useful field activities of the IYS. He has identified their presence at a number of engagements and - as your man saw out almost six months in the unit - you are free to draw certain conclusions.

Some time ago, I missed a QSA medal named to the IYS - and I am still cross with myself for not bidding more! One lives in hope.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds