Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48280

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Frank
As you clearly know, Knysna is (or was) a very special place. It is unlike anywhere else in Africa, and so it deserved special attention in wartime. Major Thomson may well have preferred having oysters with his sundowners overlooking the Knysna Lagoon, rather than camping out in the dusty Karoo with biltong for a snack.
Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48282

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I have never had any doubt whatsoever that Major Anstruther Thomson was certainly not there by accident, I am very confident that he was sent there by the War Office at the special request of certain members of the establishment in London, who not only knew and trusted him, but, also had a very special interest in Knysna and clearly wished no harm to ever come to it, once the rebellion broke out.
What I find so interesting is simply that Frank Sothcott would have known him, not socially, but, he would have seen him, perhaps, on a daily basis.
A very good pair of medals indeed!
Kind regards Frank

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48302

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2150
I had put out feelers to the Knysna Museum for anything on Sothcott and Melanie Groenewald, the Curator, came up trumps with a photo of the KTG including him.

I have appended the group photo as well as isolated him in order to enlarge him. He is the scowling chap in the middle of the back row or third from the right in the back row if you are looking at the group photo.

I consider myself truly blessed now that I am bale to see what he looked like. The photo might be of benefit to others.

Regards

Rory

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48310

• Frank Kelley
I think that just makes what was already a good pair even better, I would be delighted with them.

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48311

• Frank Kelley
I did look at both the supplementary and main roll for the 1896 medal in WO100/77, he is very clearly shown in the latter, on page 117, his forename is given too, but, sadly not his address, which is quite unusual for members of the Matabeleland Relief Force, but, his medal entitlement is clear.
A brief look throughout the BSA Companies own intelligence department returns for the 1896 war also proved negative, but, always worth doing on the of chance, many people do not understand what was actually happening in Matabeleland and the figures are rather disturbing, in particular the numbers of women and children murdered, as well as their life stock and homes lost.
The 1896 and 1897 medals and clasps had to be earned and were so very often well earned, it proved to be a very hard campaign indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48313

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2150
Thank you for making that effort on my behalf Frank - I appreciate it and yes - the campaign was a hard one - I have only one BSAC with clasp - that to a Henry Adey of the 7th Hussars - there is his accompanying QSA with Elandslaagte clasp to the Imperial Light Horse which is quite nice.

Regards

Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.720 seconds