Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48324

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Frank

I have used the following book in my study of the two Natal Troop men represented in my collection:
The '96 Rebellions. Rhodesiana Reprint Library - Silver Series. Volume Two. (Bulawayo 1975).
(Originally published as 'The British South Africa Company Reports on the Native Disturbances in Rhodesia,1896-97.)
I wondered if the BSAC's "own intelligence departments returns" that you referred to are likely to contain additional information?

I have the book out again in anticipation of looking into Troop Sergeant Major George Bull, Natal Troop, whose medal I successfully bid for on City Coins 67.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48326

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2150
Brett

George Bull - if I'm not out of kilter he was born in about 1868 and twice married - the first time in 1892 when he was a Reporter in Pietermaritzburg and the second when he was a Civil Servant in 1907 and, fortunately, a widower.

A very nice acquisition - from memory there were only about 40 members of the Natal Troop.

Regards

Rory

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48327

• Brett Hendey
Thank you, Rory. That was the man I settled on, but I now suspect he is not the right one. In the 1906 Natal Who's Who there is no mention of him going off to Rhodesia in 1896/7, and that was likely to have been recorded.

Also, a report in the Natal Witness noted that the Natal Troop were "picked men", "old hands at the game", many with "experience in native warfare". The fact that 'my' George Bull was enrolled as a Sergeant, and was soon promoted to Troop Sergeant Major after the first incumbent became a Lieutenant, suggests that Bull had military experience. The career of the 'other' George Bull does not sound martial.

I suspect problems with this investigation, and that I will be asking for more help from you.

Regards
Brett

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48332

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I had always been of the opinion that these men were, in effect, merely "contractors" from Natal, although, of course, the same could be said of Frederick Carrington's lads, CJR was paying their wages, very reluctantly, I suspect too.
Regards Frank

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48333

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Perhaps I should add, very rare and only seldom seen contractors! :)

Just between you and I, was Mr Bull terribly expensive? :ohmy:

From Rhodesia to Knysna - Frank Sothcott 7 years 7 months ago #48340

• Brett Hendey
Frank

There was a strong bond between Natal and Rhodesia throughout the entire period of the latter's existence. They shared a language and culture, and, initially at least, a loyalty to the Queen and Empire. Later, Natal was one of the favoured destinations for Rhodesian holiday-makers and university students, although the latter actually preferred Rhodes University in Grahamstown. When Rhodesia finally fell, Natal was the favoured bolthole for those Rhodesians who chose to remain in Africa. Importantly, both shared restless native populations that threatened the Colonists peace and security. (The fact that the restless natives ultimately prevailed in both instances is proof that the Colonists' fears were well founded.)

So, although the Natal Troop were "contractors" (or 'mercenaries' in modern parlance), there was a good deal of shared patriotism in the motives of the volunteers. The two reports from the Natal Witness reproduced below give an indication of the events and feelings in Natal at the time the Natal Troop was raised. As you will see, Sergeant (later Troop Sergeant Major) Bull was well rewarded for his services!

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.576 seconds