Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71275

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think that is an absolutely superb example to the regiment, the recipient appears to have been a very typical recruit for the Old Cheesemongers, a farmer, but, a five foot and eleven and a half inch tall farmer.
His issues seem to have started from May 1898, certainly his planed long service was cut short.
Interestingly, for me at least, I note he had a sister who was employed by the Egerton's at Tatton Hall, which was always a particular favourite haunt for me as a child, these days, it is perhaps better known as a venue for the RHS flower show.
Notwithstanding, it is a cracking good medal, that dash to Kimberley was not made without difficulty, doubtless a bloody hard ride for so many.

davidh wrote:

2085 Tpr. W. Coates, Life Guards.
William Coates enlisted at Hyde Park Barracks 25 May 1897 aged 20 years 4 months. Born Newsham, Richmond, Yorkshire. Occupation farmer. Religion C of E. Continued as trooper 31 September 1899. Discharged medically unfit for further service at Netley Hospital 13 November 1900. Character fair. His discharge was due to insanity. His intended place of residence was c/o Mr. Coates, Bailey Hotel, Gloucester Road, London. Served in 2nd Life Guards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 4 months ago #73860

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
The 1902 Coronation pair to Cpl A C Godley advertised 5 months ago by DNW appears again in their January auction.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Life Guards 1 year 4 months ago #87488

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (5) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Wittebergen (2026. Tpr. A. Honeycombe. 2nd. L. Gds:);
Coronation 1911, City of London Police issue (P.C. A. J. Honeycombe.)

Arthur J. Honeycombe lived at Dornfell Street, West Hampstead and wrote to his son from Koodoo Drift on 3 March:

'Just a line or two to let you know that I am getting on all right, and I hope you all at home are the same...I suppose today you are reading in your papers about our great capture of Cronje, in which I took part.

It was like this. When we started from the Modder River we were supposed to march through the Free States. We went and relieved Kimberley On the road to this town we dropped upon a Boer laager at a place called Jacobsdel. We had been all day without food or water and we made a rush for the Boer camp, and captured their convoy of about thirty waggons laden with food.

[On arriving at Kimberley]...The people of were so pleased to see us come up, as they had been living on horse flesh three months. We stayed there for a day or so, and then General French had news that Cronje was on the move with an Army; so we started out. Our Regiment was sent up to have a look round the country. When we saw the Boers on the move we let the General know, and away went our Artillery after them...have you sent the fags I asked for? It is a puzzle here to get tobacco; we have enough to do to find food.'

Latterly joining the City of London Police, he was decorated with a Gold Medal for a Lifesaving act in 1905 and was also a Member of the St John Ambulance Association; sold together with his Gold Lifesaving Medal (15 carat), the reverse engraved 'C.P.A.C. A. J. Honeycombe for Saving Life 1905', engraved St John Ambulance Association bronze Medal, besides his South Africa 1900 Christmas tin, with remnants of chocolate and his son's Defence and War Medals 1939-45.

Sold for a hammer price of £500. Totals (inc VAT on the commission for the UK only): £620. R12,300. Au$1,060. Can$970. US$730
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Life Guards 1 year 2 months ago #88778

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
We last saw the pair to Corporal Godfrey in 2020 but it is now accompanied with more information.

Pictures courtesy of Noonan's

Coronation 1902, bronze;
QSA (3) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein (1985, Cpl A. C. Godfrey, 2/L. Gd:)

A. C. Godfrey served as a corporal of horse with the Life Guards during the Second Boer War, prior to being appointed an assistant superintendent in the Ceylon Police in 1903. The following references are made to his career in A History of the Ceylon Police, 1866-1913 by A. C. Dep:

‘Assistant Superintendents were required to pass examinations in Criminal Law, Police Administration and the two languages within three years. A. C. Godfrey, J. H. Daniel and Gottlier among the junior officers, were doing extremely well.... Permission was obtained to employ Mr A. C. Godfrey to train probationers in Drill and Equitation for six months. Godfrey subsequently moved from the school and served in the Central and Western Province.... Mr A. C. Godfrey was due to go to England and was well acquainted with the Chief Constables of Sheffield, Westmorland, Cumberland and Leicestershire which were likely recruiting grounds. His brother (Major C. V. Godfrey) was the Chief Constable of Salford. Mr Godfrey was asked to recruit suitable types, in conjunction with the crown Agents.... Mr Godfrey was an officer of very good repute and a gentleman who can be relied on not to demean himself by stooping to malpractices.’

Godfrey was appointed Inspector General of Police, Mauritius, when the Great War broke out. He retired, having reached the local rank of lieutenant-colonel, in October 1926. Godfrey resided in Eastbourne upon his return to the UK, and died at Ufford, Suffolk in April 1952.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Life Guards 3 months 3 weeks ago #93443

• Susan Smith
  • Thank you received: 4
Some of you may remember discussions about my geat uncle George Smith, Trooper, 1st Life Guards. I am looking at the clasps on his medal and in particular Diamond Hill.

The criteria shown on
www.angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/b...s-south-africa-medal
says

9. A clasp inscribed "Diamond Hill" will be granted to all troops who, on June 11 or 12.
1900, were east of a north and south line drawn through Silverton Siding and north of an east
and west line through Vlakfont.

Other documents mention Vlakfontein.

Either way, could anyone tell me where the relevant Vlakfont/Vlakfontein is in relation to Silverton Siding. No matter how many maps I consult, I have not been able to find a suitable Vlakfont/Vlakfontein.

Many thanks in advance for any information anyone may have.
Sue Smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Volunteer

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds