Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Life Guards 7 years 10 months ago #46935

• Susan Smith
  • Thank you received: 4
Regarding your comments about references, Frank, "The History of Calwich Abbey", Fortescue, Mary Teresa - details that Alfred Duncombe had been a Captain in the 1st Life Guards and was given Calwich Abbey in 1876, the year of his marriage. Calwich is about three miles from Stanton, and I am sure that both Captain Duncombe and George would have been members of the congregation of Ellastone church - which served the parishioners of the both communities; consequently, it is more than likely that they would have known each other and Captain Duncombe might even have been George's referee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Life Guards 7 years 10 months ago #46937

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Have you had a look inside Ellastone church? I've visited there twice mid-week, in the past, and it wasn't open on either occasion, with no contact details given for a churchwarden. The only war memorial plaques recorded for St Peter's are for WW1 and WW2, but, if I could, I'd doublecheck that there's no mention of George inside.

Medals to the Life Guards 7 years 10 months ago #46938

• Susan Smith
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes, I have visited Ellastone church many times - in fact my Dad was christened there. Yes, there is a brass memorial plaque inside the church to WWI and II soldiers, but there is no mention of George anywhere in the church.

The memorial in the Garrison Church Holy Trinity in Windsor, of which I was thinking, was mentioned in
Findmypast, Boer War 1899-1902 - Soldier Details:

Memorial:
Holy Trinity, North wall Guards Chapel, 1st Life Gds, Windsor, Berks

the source of which is given as
Anglo-Boer War Memorial Project

I wish I had remembered that when we visited the Garrison Church!

Medals to the Life Guards 7 years 10 months ago #47047

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Sue,
Indeed, I do certainly remember, thank you for the update, I really do hope that you will be able to identify the exact location in due course, it annoys me greatly, when this sort of happens, it is a real shame when records get lost are have simply not been kept up to date for whatsoever the reason, it least you have some idea though, sadly, for a number of others from the Household Cavalry who were buried in South Africa, the information has been lost for ever, in some cases, very deliberately indeed.
Again, I wish you good luck, kind regards Frank

Susan Smith wrote: Hello Frank

You will remember our correpondence of a few months ago, I am sure.

We visited Windsor in April - although the Leisure Services Unit, had informed me that the relevant plot number was V147 and ahd provided me with a map to assist me in the plot location, I was unable to do this as I had no point of reference on the ground - I had hoped that the rows would be indicated on the ground and, a notice at the cemetery entrance says the "numers are marked on each stone" but I was unable to find any numbers on any stones - I have emailed "Outdoor Facilities" at RBMW to ask for assistance in ascertaining a point of reference on the ground.

We found the rough location - it is a lovely cemetery and beautifully kept. We visited the Garrison Church and although the Church Warden was extremely helpful, he was unable to throw any further light on George. I had mis-remembered that there was a memorial in the Garrison Church, but I cannot think where I got that idea from.

I have also been in touch with another American cousin, who sent me the attached photograph - I wonder if it might be George - I would love it to be, but I shall never know!

Best wishes

Sue

Medals to the Life Guards 5 years 1 week ago #63343

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (6) RoK Paar Drie Joh DH Witt (1940, Cpl. L. V. Popkiss, 2/L. Gds.);
Army LS&GC GV (1940 Sq. Cpl. Mjr: L. V. Popkiss. 2/L. Gds.)
[Trio]

Lionel Victor Popkiss was born at Dover, Kent, on 15 August 1874, son of a Trinity Pilot. He attested for the 2nd Life Guards at Hyde Park on 7 May 1894, aged 19, and described his trade as ‘traveller’. He was appointed Lance-Corporal in May 1898 and promoted Corporal in November 1900. He served in South Africa from December 1899 to November 1900, and received the Queen’s Medal with 6 clasps. Advanced to Corporal of Horse in May 1902, he was employed on signalling duties at the Coronation of Edward VII. He was promoted to Squadron Corporal-Major in March 1909 and received his LS&GC medal in 1912.

He transferred to the Permanent Staff of the Ayrshire Yeomanry in November 1913 and served with that unit during the Great War, in Gallipoli from 27 August 1915 to 2 January 1916, and afterwards at Mudros and Egypt until May 1916, when he returned home. He was discharged to a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the 3/1st Ayrshire Yeomanry 22 May 1916, serving in Egypt until January when his unit was disbanded and formed into 12th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers, seeing service in Palestine. He was seconded for service with the Royal Air Force in July 1918 and resigned his commission on 23 March 1921, being granted the rank of Captain.

Popkiss was appointed to the Yeomen of the King’s Body Guard on 5 July 1920, his record of service noting that he was twice mentioned in despatches, in 1917 and 1919. His 1914-15 Star trio was issued in November 1923. He died in 13 December 1952, having been the proprietor of the Lion Hotel Garage at Dulverton, Somerset.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 9 months ago #70150

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (3) Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein (1985, Cpl. A. C. Godfrey, 2/L. Gds:);
1902 Coronation, bronze, unnamed as issued
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.623 seconds