TOPIC:

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71254

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527

Picture courtesy of Elmarie

Lord (William Edwardes) Kensington

He died June 24th, 1900, at Bloemfontein, from wounds received at Houtnek, April 30th. William Edwardes, fifth Baron Kensington in the peerage of Ireland, and second Baron Kensington in the peerage of the United Kingdom, was born in July 1868, and educated at Eton. He was the eldest son of the fourth baron, and entered the 2nd Life Guards from the 7th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps, June 1892, being promoted Lieutenant April 1893, and Captain February 1900. Lord Kensington succeeded his father in 1896, and was succeeded in the title by his brother, the Honourable Hugh Edwardes, DSO, who was a Lieutenant in the 15th Hussars. He was a JP and DL for Pembrokeshire and a JP for Haverfordwest.

From the Cardiff Times, 28 July 1900

The average annual income per head in 1900 was £42 (according to the National Archives). Sailor at 430 Guineas was the equivalent of over 10 times the annual income.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71255

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I dare say that his medal would command a high price too, if sold!

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71260

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246

2085 Tpr. W. Coates, Life Guards.
William Coates enlisted at Hyde Park Barracks 25 May 1897 aged 20 years 4 months. Born Newsham, Richmond, Yorkshire. Occupation farmer. Religion C of E. Continued as trooper 31 September 1899. Discharged medically unfit for further service at Netley Hospital 13 November 1900. Character fair. His discharge was due to insanity. His intended place of residence was c/o Mr. Coates, Bailey Hotel, Gloucester Road, London. Served in 2nd Life Guards.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71262

• Frank Kelley
I must admit to being rather puzzled by the press report from the Cardiff Times, I had thought that Lord Kensington was actually buried in Bloemfontein along with the majority of his Squadron's lads who became casualties?

djb wrote:

Picture courtesy of Elmarie

Lord (William Edwardes) Kensington

He died June 24th, 1900, at Bloemfontein, from wounds received at Houtnek, April 30th. William Edwardes, fifth Baron Kensington in the peerage of Ireland, and second Baron Kensington in the peerage of the United Kingdom, was born in July 1868, and educated at Eton. He was the eldest son of the fourth baron, and entered the 2nd Life Guards from the 7th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps, June 1892, being promoted Lieutenant April 1893, and Captain February 1900. Lord Kensington succeeded his father in 1896, and was succeeded in the title by his brother, the Honourable Hugh Edwardes, DSO, who was a Lieutenant in the 15th Hussars. He was a JP and DL for Pembrokeshire and a JP for Haverfordwest.

From the Cardiff Times, 28 July 1900

The average annual income per head in 1900 was £42 (according to the National Archives). Sailor at 430 Guineas was the equivalent of over 10 times the annual income.

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71263

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Frank - 'In Memoriam' confirms he is buried at President Avenue Cemetery in Bloemfontein although unusually for an officer, especially with his background, he has no gravestone or other grave marker. I assume that the 'funeral' in Cardiff was actually a memorial service.

David

Medals to the Life Guards 3 years 8 months ago #71266

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
Well, that was always my understanding that he and his men did end up there, thankfully, precious few casualties the majority being from disease, but, I would have thought that he did have a marked grave at some point in the past and I'm afraid to have to say it, but, I am not surprised that he and so many more no longer do, very disappointing though.
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.798 seconds