Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40897

• AnorakABO
  • AnorakABO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Greetings,

I'm researching my third great uncle Frederik Wilhelm Stieler b. 27 September 1879 d. 21 October 1899 (Aged 20). His father was born in Berlin, Germany and his mother's family, also originally from Germany, arrived in South Africa in 1690.

I want to know more about the Battle of Elandslaagte; especially in regards to the role of the Boer artillery. I have a PDF copy of Adolf Schiel's 23 Jahre Sturm und Sonnenschein in Südafrika. It's proving quite difficult to read, but has a number of pages dedicated to the Battle of Elandslaagte. I'm slowly making my way through the document, translating as I go.

F.W. Stieler's brother H.F. Stieler and C.J. Groenewald wrote to the State Secretary of the South African Republic asking that A. Schiel be relieved of his command. I have yet to receive details of the grounds of their request.

Regards,
AnorakABO
Gebore onder de Engelsche vlag, wens ik niet daaronder sterven.
~ Paul Kruger
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40906

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Anorak,

The battle of Elandslaagte is a topic close to my heart.

Have a look at page 5 on this link for a translation of Schiel's account of Elandslaagte. angloboerwar.com/images/pdf/Elandslaagteupdate2.pdf

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: AnorakABO

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40907

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I have doubts with anyone who describes that the day they are mortally wounded was "great" in any way whatsoever, Adi would have done himself and many others a favour if he had just not bothered and stayed in Frankfort with mutter! :(

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40909

• AnorakABO
Thank you so much for that information. I really appreciate it.

From Schiel's account, there were two guns in the battle and the guns were not with him. I wonder if there exists an account closer to the artillery? Being a member of the artillery, am I correct in assuming F.W. Stieler would have stayed with the guns?

Family stories tell of the bravery of the Boer artillery in disabling the guns; losing their lives in the process?

djb wrote: Anorak,

The battle of Elandslaagte is a topic close to my heart.

Have a look at page 5 on this link for a translation of Schiel's account of Elandslaagte. angloboerwar.com/images/pdf/Elandslaagteupdate2.pdf

Best wishes
David

~ Paul Kruger

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40910

• AnorakABO
Yes, and he certainly appreciated his spirits? He doesn't speak appreciatively of Kock either. I wish I knew why C.J. Groenewald and H.F. Stieler asked (TAB SS R3787-98) for him to be relieved of command in 1898; perhaps it was in the same grain.

I've read on SAMilitaryHistory.org that quite a few of the Boer had doubts about him, and his alignment?

Frank Kelley wrote: Gentlemen,
I have doubts with anyone who describes that the day they are mortally wounded was "great" in any way whatsoever, Adi would have done himself and many others a favour if he had just not bothered and stayed in Frankfort with mutter! :(

~ Paul Kruger

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40922

• AnorakABO
There were three brothers that all surrendered, 28 Feb 1902. They were of S. Trichardt's Commando / Middelburg Commando:
  • Hendrik Frederik Stieler
  • Lukas Barend Jacobus Stieler
  • Louis Willem Johannes Stieler
Then there was Frederik Wilhelm Stieler, who died at the Battle of Elandslaagte 21/10/1899.
~ Paul Kruger

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.940 seconds