Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40988

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Morning Brett,
I find this sort of thing really rather annoying and in the case of graves actually disgusting, but, the problem with the two parties here is simply that they are too far apart and have absolutely no common ground whatsoever, they need to rein themselves in and sit down and talk about it to each other and come to terms with it, history cannot be changed.
There is a great deal in Irish history that I don't much care for, but, I don't get so upset about it, history is exactly that and nothing more.
Are you okay, have not heard from you for some time?
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Anorak
It is possible that the Boer dead from Elandslaagte were reinterred during the 1970's at the Boer memorial on Platrand (Caesar's Camp/Wagon Hill to the British) in Ladysmith. The consolidation of graves to a central memorial at many places in Natal reduced maintenance costs and vandalism.

Frank
Your civilised attitude to memorials and a country's heritage would be incomprehensible to the vandals who are a feature of South African society. There was once a faint hope that education would reduce the number of vandals, but the treatment of Rhodes' statue at the University of Cape Town dispelled this fantasy. There would be a lot fewer people in the UK keen to dispense 'foreign aid' to South Africa if they lived here for a while.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #40992

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
The clean-up operation in Krugersdorp (source: dankiejan)

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #41000

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
He really doesn't look great in red, is that actually liquid gloss, it appears to have a rather noticeable shine?

djb wrote: The clean-up operation in Krugersdorp (source: dankiejan)

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #41022

• AnorakABO
  • AnorakABO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Thing that concerns me about the removal of Rhodes' statue is that it was authorised by the University of Cape Town; i.e. it's not vandalism when it's sanctioned. They've removed the statute without firm indication as to where it will be relocated to. What's more, the degradation it was subjected to (bag over the head, caution tape wrapped around it etc) speaks volumes about the perpetrators. You have to wonder about the state of affairs in South Africa when Mugabe blocks the exhumation of Rhodes' remains stating that "it is part of <their> national history and heritage and therefore it should not be tampered with".

Frank Kelley wrote: Morning Brett,
I find this sort of thing really rather annoying and in the case of graves actually disgusting, but, the problem with the two parties here is simply that they are too far apart and have absolutely no common ground whatsoever, they need to rein themselves in and sit down and talk about it to each other and come to terms with it, history cannot be changed.
There is a great deal in Irish history that I don't much care for, but, I don't get so upset about it, history is exactly that and nothing more.
Are you okay, have not heard from you for some time?
Kind regards Frank

Gebore onder de Engelsche vlag, wens ik niet daaronder sterven.
~ Paul Kruger

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #41023

• AnorakABO
  • AnorakABO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Brett,

You're a bloody legend! I had no idea this memorial existed. Lo and behold...

Brett Hendey wrote: Anorak
It is possible that the Boer dead from Elandslaagte were reinterred during the 1970's at the Boer memorial on Platrand (Caesar's Camp/Wagon Hill to the British) in Ladysmith. The consolidation of graves to a central memorial at many places in Natal reduced maintenance costs and vandalism.

Gebore onder de Engelsche vlag, wens ik niet daaronder sterven.
~ Paul Kruger
Attachments:

Battle of Elandslaagte 8 years 11 months ago #41029

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Photo enlargement.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.547 seconds