Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 6 months ago #43611

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Now, there's an adventure Rory.

I wonder if someone should do a "ghost-walk" like they do at Talana.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 6 months ago #43613

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
I think you are on to something Meurig! :cheer:

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44222

• drummerboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Brett

A distant relative of mine, in fact a 1st cousin twice removed, Jocelyn Frederick de Fonblanque Shaw, was also with the ILI at Spion Kop. I have recently discovered his previously completely unknown diary in which he describes his experience and that of the ILI in a fair amount of detail. He was taken prisoner on 24 January and sent to the Waterval Boer Camp. Attached is a copy of a portrait I have of him. It looks as if he has the exact same uniform that your great grandfather is wearing in that photo you posted. I don't know when the portrait was painted except that he stayed in the army until after WWI. Can you please shed some light on the significance of that uniform. I also did some work on two of the other ILI photos you posted per the attached except I do not know how to perform that task and the probably won't come through.

Thanks a lot

George Shaw

Attachments:

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44223

• drummerboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Bingo, my photos came through. Who said computers are difficult?

Cheers

George Shaw

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44224

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello George

Splendid portrait - he is wearing the uniform of the Royal Garrison Artillery - he was commissioned during the Anglo-Boer War and served in WW1 as a Major in Jamaica and Singapore. He is wearing the QSA and British War Medal.

I am very interested in the diary - as will be many on the forum. Do you have any plans to make it available?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44229

• drummerboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Meurig

Thanks for the quick reply. The diary was only recently discovered by JFdeFS's grandson who lives in LA and sent me a roughly typed up copy. It was amongst his father's papers when he died in 2012. I know this family well and visited the father in Laramie, WO., a few years before he died. It is over 100 pages, 86 of which deals with South Africa and the Boer War (he went straight from SA to India) so it contains a lot of detail. I am busy doing a detailed transcription and adding comment where I think its appropriate to clarify the text. But I can tell you that it contains many gems that will undoubtedly be of immense interest to Boer War enthusiasts and historians. At Spion Kop for example he mentions being hit by British artillery firing short. This past week I have re-read Pakenham's book which does not make any such mention whereas Boer artillery placements were able to enfilade the British trenches with relative ease. JFdeFS was captured again at Blood River Poort where he tried to desperately save his two guns, "So I quickly mounted my horse and ordered in quick succession, "Cease firing, prepare to retire, rear lumber up, gallop" and off we started. I had not gone more than 50 yards or so before looking around. I saw the section was not following being in serious difficulties and unable to move, many of the horses being hit by the Boers who were firing from the saddle as they advanced. By the time I had regained the guns, the Boers were right on top of us and a regular melee was in progress. I was dragged off my horse..........". He also describes Lt Price Davies actions in being awarded the VC in the following terms, "When the Boers charged the guns. Lieut Price-Davies of the 60th Rifles, when ordered to surrender, responded by putting a round of the best into the body of the Boer who gave the order. He was promptly shot in the arm and off his horse."

I have always taken a keen interest in Military history especially the American civil war having been to Manasas, Fredericksburg, Antietam and Gettysberg and having written fairly extensively on the subject, especially from a West Point perspective with my son having attended the USMA. With the WWI centenary now being on us I recently completed a display of the ten Shaws from my wider family who were all killed ---- one died from malaria in GEA. I also obtained most of the various regimental diaries from Kew so was able to place the deaths in the actual battlefield context. Three were taken out by snipers including two battalion commanders. Also a display of my father's medals from WWI. He was with the Kaffrarian Rifles (5th Infantry) in GSWA and the 9th SA Horse in GEA,

Anyway, I'll be sure to keep in touch and will need to run everything by my cousin in the States although am sure he will be delighted to share the diary with interested parties like yourself in due course. It is really quite remarkable that such a detailed and extensive primary source should be discovered 115 years after the event. While I am about it I attach the re-worked photo of Philip's great grandfather.

George
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds