Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Imperial Light Infantry 9 years 8 months ago #21984

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Philip

Thank you for your comments and the photographs. I hope that when Zac is an adult, he will be able to visit Spioenkop and see it as we see it today.

I think Spioenkop is the best of Natal's battlefields. The difficulty of access has so far kept the vandals out and one can contemplate the battlefield and surroundings in complete peace. The tranquillity is in stark contrast to the horrors witnessed by Colin Pritchard and the other men on the mountain during the battle.

Regards
Brett

PS I am in awe of your ability to cycle between Johannesburg and Durban. The ease will which Colin scaled Spioenkop and your cycling prowess are indications that there are some very special genes in your lineage!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Light Infantry 9 years 8 months ago #21985

• Philip
  • Philip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Brett

Talking of genes, it did occur to me while on the hill that the very DNA in my body had been there before in Colin's body. It opens up a whole new field of thought/science that we are only beginning to touch on regarding emotional intelligence.

Philip

PS: I must share this funny anecdote with you. Zac is now 5 years old and when he saw the photo of Colin and Lt. Hillstead sitting outside the mess-tent, he enquired: "Dad, when did you go camping with the dogs?" I was rolling on the floor with laughter! We have a terrier a lot like Loot, called Wilbur.
Whilst on the subject of dogs, I came across this interesting picture taken in Eastern Ukraine. This little dog appeared at a border post and was adopted by the soldiers. She has since saved their lives on several occasions because she has a sixth sense which causes her to bark frantically whenever a mortar attack is about to be launched against the border post. Needless to say, when the dog barks the men run for cover.Funny how life repeats itself.
Attachments:

Imperial Light Infantry 9 years 8 months ago #21989

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Philip

Thank you for your latest additions to this thread.

I read somewhere that the Spioenkop battlefield is 'atmospheric', a very apt description. It certainly is a place for quiet contemplation.

It is notable how often dogs appear in group photographs of Boer (and other) War soldiers, and in records of those conflicts. I think it was on this forum that I recently read about the dog that stayed with its master's body on the Magersfontein battlefield. The emotional bond between dogs and people must go back to the very beginnings of animal domestication.

Regards
Brett

Imperial Light Infantry 9 years 8 months ago #22000

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Brett Hendey wrote: Philip

It is notable how often dogs appear in group photographs of Boer (and other) War soldiers, and in records of those conflicts. I think it was on this forum that I recently read about the dog that stayed with its master's body on the Magersfontein battlefield. The emotional bond between dogs and people must go back to the very beginnings of animal domestication.

Regards
Brett

Slightly off Topic.....

I read an article and saw a number of photos where during WW1 they trained Standard and Giant Airdales (the King of Terriers) to carry medical supplies on their backs and find wounded in No-Mans-Land.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Imperial Light Infantry 9 years 6 months ago #23159

• Philip
  • Philip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is a photo of Colin Pritchard and his family which was taken after the war. I would date it to, about, 1906-7. Colin is seen here with his wife Eliza, their daughters, Elsie and Joyce and their child minder. My grandfather, Aubrey, had not yet been born. It seems that my great grandfather had an affinity for dogs. His hat is very similar to those worn by the officers of the I.L.I in the photo posted earlier in this thread.
Attachments:

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 6 months ago #43610

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2147
I have the dubious distinction of having slept atop of Spioenkop whilst visiting troops there in the early 80's during my national service.

This was long before my collecting days but I was, nevertheless, in suitable awe of my surroundings. The grass was quite long and, with a gentle breeze blowing through, made an eerie rustling sound. I seem to recall that not many got much sleep that night despite the troops having been in the middle of a route march!

Philip - I have PM'ed you a request too allow me to use extracts from Colin's letter in my article on another I.L.I man whose medal I have - William James Bell.

Regards

Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.889 seconds