• Thank you received: 1879
Your Pictures......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44231

• drummerboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Don't mind me but it seems that I did not attach the display of the ten Shaws killed in WWI. Its the one of which I am most proud to I reattach for the record.

Cheers

George
Attachments:

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44232

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello George

Thanks for your post - just connected the two men in my casualty list!

69 battery saw considerable action in that part of the eastern Transvaal when Shaw was with them. Do you know if he was at Itala on 26 Sept 1901 - a VC/DCM action for the battery. I have the medals to one of his brother officers, Lt C Hebert, wounded at Itala.

Have you got the battery digest of service, it is a good read.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44233

• QSAMIKE
Photo.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44235

• QSAMIKE
Hello George......

Here is my Shaw for your database......

SHAW, P. (Note: Initial "G" on FMP)

REG. NO.: 95705
REGT: "A" BATTERY, ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY
BARS: CAPE COLONY, TUGELA HEIGHTS, ORANGE FREE STATE, RELIEF OF LADYSMITH, LAING'S NEK, BELFAST

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Imperial Light Infantry 8 years 4 months ago #44240

• drummerboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Mike

In terms of my direct Shaw family association with the Boer War the only persons I know who saw action were,

1) Lt. Percy B. Costello Shaw, 1869-1900. He was with the 3rd Royal Munster Fusiliers. He saw action at the Battle Honey Nest Kloof in the NE Cape on 16 Feb 1900 and died in Bloemfontein on 28 May 1900 from enteric fever.
2) Sir Frederick William Shaw, DSO., 1858-1927. He served with the 5th Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He was at one time commandant of the Barkley West station and later Station Staff officer at Warrenton.
3) My great uncle, William Crosson (a great uncle and brother-in-law to my grandfather, Robert John Shaw, 1864-1894,who came out to South Africa in 1882 to join the Cape Mounted Rifleman, see attached photo) who was with the Cape Mounted Rifles based in King Williams Town and who was present to Wepener and Wittebergen. His medals came up on auction recently but those two clasps made them too expensive for me.
4) The two Brackenbury brothers, Edward Wingfield, and Arthur Jocelyn. Their mother, Emily Marie "Mimi" Shaw was a great aunt. Mimi's older sister, incidentally, was Flora Shaw, by definition another great aunt, later Lady Lugard, who as Colonial Editor of The Times of London played a prominent role in the events leading up to the Jameson Raid, the precursor to the war itself (was in the center of cables flying between Rhodes and Chamberlain) and was one of the star witnesses in the subsequent parliamentary enquiry at Westminster Hall into the raid. In Elizabeth Packenham's book she has a whole chapter devoted to her participation. She is also as a matter of trivia credited with the naming of the country, Nigeria. Edward Wingfield Brackenbury was with the Imperial Light Horse (Trooper 614) at Elandslaagte. Arthur Jocelyn Brackenbury was also with the ILH (trooper 672) who is recorded as having been wounded three times during the Boer War although I do not know his actual service record.
5) Now Jocelyn Frederick de Fonblanque Shaw with the ILI and the author of the diary which I have recently discovered.

George Shaw
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.128 seconds