Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Norwegians in the Anglo-Boer War 8 years 1 month ago #45732

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
I have been researching Captain H B Andreasen, Border Mounted Rifles, whose medals I recently acquired, and a great deal of information that relates to him has come to light. I have decided to separate some of it from his biography, and one such piece deals with the men from Andreasen's Squadron. Their names have been taken from an out-of-print book and are given here in an edited form.

The book, ‘The Norwegian Settlers – Marburg, Natal 1882’ (Marburg Norwegian Lutheran Church, Port Shepstone, 1932), was translated into English in 1967 by A H E Andreasen. It contains a wealth of information on these settlers, including records of their military service in the Anglo-Boer War, 1906 Natal Rebellion, World War 1 and World War 2.

Relevant here is the record of the men who served in the Boer War. This was compiled by Sergeant Edward Haajem, who served with two of his sons, Karl and Ole. With the few exceptions indicated, all the men served with the Border Mounted Rifles. They were:
Captain H B Andreasen; Sergeants E Haajem and G Oie; Corporals J Andersen, P Bjorseth, P Lillebo and R M Nilsen; Troopers A Andersen, A Bjorseth, F Bodtker (Natal Field Artillery), N Brudevik (Brudevig on BMR roll), T Bru-de-Wold (Natal Police), K Haajem, O Haajem, A Hojem, E Holte, F Hufft, G Ingebriktsen (Inglebrigsten on BMR roll), K Martinusen (Martinson on BMR roll), N Nilsen (P Nilsen of the BMR roll), E Pahr, O Vinjevold (Not on the BMR roll).
There is a Trooper R Lillebo on the BMR roll, who is not listed by Haajem.
Haajem recorded that the brothers John and Arthur Berg “served with the Methuen’s Regiment and later Loxton’s Horse”.
Colonel H T Bru-de-Wold (Natal Staff Corps), a Norwegian who formerly commanded the BMR, settled in Natal in 1862, so he is here excluded from the 1882 list, although Haajem included him in his report.

In the Port Shepstone Norwegian Settlers Cemetery there is a memorial to those men in the BMR from the district who were killed in action or died of disease during the Boer War: www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=3004539

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Norwegians in the Anglo-Boer War 7 years 11 months ago #46451

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Well, I have finally recovered a memory and dug out a contact photo I long ago made from a stack of glass negatives a friend bought at a UK Auction. The photo was taken by Van Hoeden in Pretoria, not dated, but while still in Boer hands. It shows six "Foreign Attaches" and Mr. Fisher of the O.V.S. The one of interest is "Capt. Alum Nourwegen" I've tried to attach it but too big a file. It's on my I pad, When I can figure how to transfer to the desk top I will send. The others would be of interest. By the way I have three other copied photos related to ABW
Hope this is of use, Baden Powell

Norwegians in the Anglo-Boer War 7 years 11 months ago #46470

• Brett Hendey
Baden Powell
I would be very interested in seeing copies of your photographs, especially the ones of the Norwegian Attache and 'Mr Fisher'. The latter was my wife's great grandfather.
Regards
Brett

Norwegians in the Anglo-Boer War 7 years 11 months ago #46476

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Brett : I tried the desk top scan last night and still have a problem. Flat scanner won't talk to I Mac. I will,try camera to drive direct later today. Two of the Images I have I think I may have seen published somewhere. Two relate to posed Boer positions at Ladysmith and the last is of Gen. Botha. Wish me luck !
James Suchma

Norwegians in the Anglo-Boer War 7 years 11 months ago #46481

• Brett Hendey
Thank you for trying, James. Since I do not belong in the 21st Century, I could not even begin to solve the problem myself! Good luck!
Regards
Brett

Norwegians in the Anglo-Boer War 7 years 11 months ago #46484

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
BP
Are these the pics?

From V2 of With the Flag to Pretoria.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds