Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Displaying medals 9 years 8 months ago #21741

• pjac49
  • pjac49's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
Hello all,

I'm after suggestions/advice on displaying medals. I have mine in a glass fronted and hinged wooden display case hanging on the wall. However, the gap between the glass and the material I've used as display backing is too wide for medals to be simply held in place between the two. I've therefore tried fixing the individual medals to the material with small pins through the ribbons. Apart from the fact that this isn't desperately good for the ribbons, it doesn't look great and the medals, although held in place, tend to hang askew and look untidy - probably my lack of skill!

How do others display their medals? I don't want them shut away in drawers and have no flat space for displaying them.

Thanks

Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Displaying medals 9 years 8 months ago #21743

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1882
Good Morning Patrick......

Oh there are many many ways that you can mount your medals as many ways as there are collectors...... :cheer:

I think that I have done and experimented with the whole gambit from sewing them to a backing, using pins, glueing, hot glueing, two sided sticky tape and a few others.....

Right now I think I have found the best for me at least.....

I take the frame backing and line it with a material that will accept Velcro (Hooks only) and put a small piece of Velcro on the back of the medal and attach it to the frame backing..... This way I can add of remove medals and other items without having to change the whole frame.....

I have been able lately to find frames in Ikea and a local craft store called Michaels with the backing already on and just need to put the Velcro on the medal.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Displaying medals 9 years 8 months ago #21745

• pjac49
  • pjac49's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
Mike

Thanks very much for the speedy and helpful reply. If I understand you correctly, you're attaching the velcro to the medal itself, rather than the ribbon. I hadn't thought of that one.

Patrick

Displaying medals 9 years 8 months ago #21749

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1882
Hi Patrick.....

No I actually run a piece of artboard in the center of the ribbon and then the Velcro on the ribbon a piece about 1" x 3/4" has enough strength to hold the medal in place.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Displaying medals 9 years 8 months ago #21756

• Ian Brentnall
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Mike, that sounds very interesting. Can you possibly send me some photos to show me what you mean?

I currently have all of my medals in special medal tray cabinets but it would be nice to display a few of them.

Regards
Ian

Displaying medals 9 years 8 months ago #21757

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 350
I can tell you how it is supposed to work and sometimes it does.

I mount my medals in groups - obviously it sometimes takes time to work out the full entitlement and get fillers or ribbon, but once in a while I get down to blitzing them.

Then generally they get put into appropriate shoe boxes so that they can be located - sometimes

Then when I get in the mood and I want to show a few off I have a front fitting frame. The back board has lengths of L shaped aluminium rods, covered in maroon felt, screwed into the back into which the medal mounting boards slot.

So I have this one

and one in my office

The medal back board needs to extend beyond the medal rim of course for it to work.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.179 seconds